Lake Pleasant this weekend - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Arizona Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 04-10-2007, 10:57 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Lake Pleasant this weekend

I'm taking my daughter to Lake Pleasant this weekend for striper fishing/trolling.

I'm hoping to get a boat load.

Does anyone have some recent experience?

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2007, 07:42 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Lake Pleasant this weekend

Well, not a single bite, trolled for hours.

Found a dead floater. so I know there was at lease one there!
Old 04-16-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS View Post
Well, not a single bite....
I've had my share of those days too. Hope it picks up for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2007, 07:30 PM

KR have you considered a guide. I know the cost is a few hundred but in the long run it will save you some angst. What you save in gas and bait alone.
You'll at least learn his techniques and approach.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:05 PM
Striper Hunter

I have thought of it, tried to talk a buddy into going in with me but no deal.

I don't suppose anyone has a recommendation?
Old 09-12-2007, 11:06 AM
Striper Hunter

Well, I'm heading there again (5 hours each way).

I am taking my son and my buddy, so we'll see how the fishing goes.

Anyone been to pleasant lately?

KRS
Old 05-23-2008, 01:52 PM

Old 05-24-2008, 03:51 AM
Arizona Striper Guy

I have a hot spot I'm going to Memorial Day weekend Sunday. I caught 18 there last weekend in about 2 hours.

On the west end of the dam, opposite side from the Pleasant Harbor Marina, there is an island that is right next to the shore - I'm sure when the water gets lower, it will be a peninsula. It's very possible that you could wade across to it, I didn't check as I went there by boat. It is in walking distance from the Roadrunner campground off the South Park Road. Check this link:

http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/lake_p...th-park-3d.pdf

At the bottom of the map in the right corner by the number 15, you'll see the round island I'm talking about. The island is high and steep, the water gets deep fast. I used cut anchovies and a 3/4oz slip sinker. Deadly. The lake gets full in the spring and gets lower as the water is used in the summer. Judging from the depth map, that spot should stay good even when the water goes down - it shows 120 feet deep off of the island. I'll be there on Sunday 5/25/2008. By the way, there is no limit on stripers - keep them all. Good Luck guys....

kw
Old 05-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Arizona Striper Guy

Had an awesome Memorial Day Sunday fishing trip. I took my neighbor and we had a killer day. It was around 85, we fished from about 10am to 6pm - when we ran out of bait. He got 12, I got 24. Nothing very big, but a lot of action. I think I'll bring some waterdogs next time and see if I can get a big one. Maybe I'll try a whole large anchovy on a 2 hook setup. I have to think there are some big ones mixed in there somewhere.

I confirmed that you can walk there from shore - no boat necessary. You have to wade about to your waist but that's as deep as it gets. When the lake is lower in the coming weeks, it will be even easier. There is another point closer to the spillway that is on shore that might be just as good. Maybe I'll try that next time. Good luck....
Old 05-29-2008, 02:10 PM

Kurt,
Congrats on what sounds like great day fishing! Question though,,, are there just that few fishermen where you are that you're not concerned about putting such precise directions (spot burning) to your spot on the internet? If I did that here, my spot would quickly be overrun with people and impossible to fish. If you were anywhere else, I'd be all over deleting that post as soon as possible, to protect you! You should at least consider editing it to be less specific.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:45 PM
Arizona Striper Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitrunner View Post
Kurt,
Congrats on what sounds like great day fishing! Question though,,, are there just that few fishermen where you are that you're not concerned about putting such precise directions (spot burning) to your spot on the internet? If I did that here, my spot would quickly be overrun with people and impossible to fish. If you were anywhere else, I'd be all over deleting that post as soon as possible, to protect you! You should at least consider editing it to be less specific.
If it takes more stripers out of the lake, I'm all for it. I don't want Pleasant to get like Lake Powell with the population booms and crashes. They have only been in the lake for 15 years and are only now starting to take over the lake. It's better for the lake to have more stripers taken before they eat everything in the lake. If it gets crowded, I'll learn my lesson and find another spot. Thanks for the advice - I'm a newbie here.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:40 AM
Striper Hunter

Holy thread revival Batman!

Good to hear you caught 'em!

After my 7th fishing trip there (5 hours each way) and only catching 3 total, I gave up. Maybe I'll try that spot... and no, I doubt it'll be overrun (I appreciate your specific directions!).

KRS
Old 06-17-2008, 12:12 AM
Arizona Striper Guy

I went again on Saturday 6/14. It got up to about 108 - a little toasty. I brought a patio umbrella, cooler and a camping chair. I just filled my hat with water and put it on when I got hot. Not too bad. It's slowing down a little - I only got 10 fishing all day this time. There was a slow period at the peak of the heat. Bring lots of anchovies and lots of beer. Good Luck!
Old 01-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Arizona Striper Guy

I have gone to this spot twice and gotten skunked, once in September and again in October. When the water is low - about 40 feet lower than in May/June, the fishing is really slow. The steep bank only goes down so far. I was fishing in only 20-25 feet of water. I went most recently on 1/17 and the water is up 22 feet from September. It's now at 66 percent full. I had a couple of hits and got one about 10:30am and nothing the rest of the day. This is the time of year when they are pumping the CAP water into the lake, so it will only get better. When I get a motor for my boat, I can chase them to wherever they are, but for now I'm shore bound. I'll try again next month. Good Luck Fishing, guys.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Arizona Striper Guy

I'm resurrecting this dusty old thread because I'm going to Lake Pleasant tomorrow morning! The lake is 88% full and the water temp is up to 58 degrees. We're supposed to get a wind storm tonight - I hope it dies down by tomorrow. It's supposed to cool off - a high of only 74 tomorrow. It will be chilly in the morning. I called the visitior's center and had they guy look out the window to make sure the water isn't too high for me to wade out to the island - he says it should be fine. I bought one of those folding chairs that is a back pack. It was a pain in the butt carrying all that stuff, this should be a lot easier. I'll be using anchovies and maybe some waterdogs if the bait shop has any. Maybe some live bait will help weed out the small ones. I'll give a report when I get back.