wiper back crossing - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > The Wiper Room
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Wiper Room A forum for all you Hybrid and White bass fishermen out there . Wiper aka Hybrid striper / Cherokee Bass / Sunshine bass / Wiper.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:09 PM

Default wiper back crossing

i have heard of this but didn't know if it was true(may be old news to yall)

In the Savannah River, backcrossing to striped bass was observed (Avise and Van den Arvyle 1984). These hybrids also occasionally back cross with white bass (Avise and Van den Arvyle 1984; Etnier and Starnes 1993). The potential outcome of such mating includes loss of genetic integrity of the parent species or even the loss of a native species, subspecies, or of a unique population (Campton 1987). Sunshine bass apparently are backcrossing to parentals in the Ohio River, where this hybrid is very common (Burr, personal communication).
http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/facts...?SpeciesID=784

from the same link:
Means of Introduction: Populations maintained through stocking programs. Alabama has stocked more than 18 million palmetto bass since 1974 (Mettee et al. 1996).

woohooo, thaz a bunch of hybs!...keep 'em coming!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2007, 10:37 AM

Default Re: wiper back crossing

I have heard of this back crossing before. I really don't know what to make of it.
Common belief is that they are non-reproductive but will go through a false spawn . Some say they can deposit in a pure bread spawn ....??

I'm not sure anyone can positively say what's going on.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:25 AM

Here is a PM from our club site . Dave is a wiper/white bass fisherman and has a wealth of information !!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I took genetics classes at Iowa State University.
The way this works is...if a wiper breeds with a white bass, you'll get offspring in the following ratio:
50% Wipers
50% White Bass

This would leave me to believe that Wipers are NOT completely sterile, but can have viable offspring. If this is the case, then we should occasionally see Wiper x Wiper broods. The results of THIS spawn would be:
25% White Bass
50% Wipers
25% Striped Bass

David Merical
2007 CIA Club President
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2007, 06:02 PM

Gregor Mendelev, the laws of inheritance

Here is an interesting biology and life history published by aqanic.org.
They claim that the hybrid striped bass is fertile unlike other hybrids.

Page 3.
http://aquanic.org/publicat/usda_rac/efs/srac/300fs.pdf

"Natural spawning has been verified in a few instances."
"They may participate in spawning runs with striped bass and possibly white bass.
There are also confirmed cases of reproduction in reservoirs that contain only hybrid striped bass".

Aquanic.org is the aquaculture network information center
Old 02-16-2007, 09:04 PM

Thumbs up Re: wiper back crossing

that's some really useful info, right there(especially water temp/spawning run)

thanks for the link, striperjim!
Old 02-16-2007, 09:29 PM

A little C to F conversion chart for those of us who missed that math class.
https://stripers247.com/fishermendata.htm

15 to 20 celcius is 59 to 68 fahrenheit
Old 02-17-2007, 10:16 AM

GREAT info...Thanks !!!
Old 04-03-2007, 10:44 PM

Slo Something I thought was quite interesting regarding the Hybrid and the pure bred striped bass. While putting together the Oregon site page Eric Schindler a biologist with the Division of fish and game told me that the Oregon DFW had only one hybrid (striped bass x white bass cross) stocking program. Ana Reservoir in central Oregon. (they now stock them in Thomson as well)

"Previously there was a hybrid program in the Tenmile Lake system, but was discontinued due to straying issues and salmonid predation concerns by the public".

On the purebred population he said
"The striper population in Oregon began with only a few individuals. There is evidence of significant inbreeding problems within the local population as expressed in a high number of hermaphrodites (both sexes in the same fish) in the population".
Old 04-04-2007, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothfish View Post
Here is a PM from our club site . Dave is a wiper/white bass fisherman and has a wealth of information !!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I took genetics classes at Iowa State University.
The way this works is...if a wiper breeds with a white bass, you'll get offspring in the following ratio:
50% Wipers
50% White Bass

This would leave me to believe that Wipers are NOT completely sterile, but can have viable offspring. If this is the case, then we should occasionally see Wiper x Wiper broods. The results of THIS spawn would be:
25% White Bass
50% Wipers
25% Striped Bass

David Merical
2007 CIA Club President
Interesting info, not saying it's not so, but that being true, then our East Fork Lake, which is saturated w/hybrids, should also according to that ratio be 25% stripers? No reports of stripers in East Fork lake, and it's been stocked for couple decades.
Having said that, does the wiper require the requisite miles of moving water/current to breed as the striper does?
LMJ
Old 04-04-2007, 08:51 AM

This article also mentions backcrossing with whites:

http://www.outdooralabama.com/fishin...triped/hybrid/

The question I can't find an answer to is why is it that hybrids have only been know to reproduce "in a few instances?" Is it that only a few of them are fertile? If that is true, I think it's reasonable to assume that few, if any, offspring of hybrids would themselves be fertile. Or is it the fact that, as stated in the Aquanic article, their eggs are non-adhesive, and must be buoyed up by turbulent water until they hatch? Seems to me this would nix any chance of them reproducing here in Kentucky. There just isn't that much turbulence in most of the man-made lakes where they're stocked.
Now, hybrid bluegill are fertile, but upwards of 90% of them are male, so they end up dying out over time. I don't think that's true of hybrid bass, but just what is the percentage of males v. females?