Lucky! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance Tips and discussion on Boat parts/boat maintenance.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:25 AM
First Mate

Question Lucky!

Hey guys, sorry you haven't heard much from me but I haven't been out much this year....when I do get out its bluefish city for me.....

to that end, I was out last night and at one point I trimmed the motor all the way up b/c I thought my line was caught on the prop... (it wasn't) so I lowered the motor back in. the motor was trimmed all the way down but I didn't know it and continued to press the switch for maybe 5 seconds (I 've done that before).....anyway I didn't think much of this until I began to trim the motor up when we later approached some skinny water... when I tried to lower the unit back down..... nothing! SO at this point (and still) the tilt only works to bring the engine up... luckily the engine was in a position enough in the water to get me home at a slow speed.... and i was able to raise it enough to trailer...

SO, not knowing much about this I was suprised to learn that the tilt motor CAN work in one direction... i figured if it's one motor it either works or it doesn't

any thoughts on this? Do I need a new tilt motor? will oiling it work? I have had it stick before but usually after a couple of seconds it freed up..

secondly, is there a way to override the tilt motor for instance so so could get the motor in the water to get home if this happens again?

Oh I should mention this is a Mercury 150 efi outboard..

oh and in case anyone is wondering, I got 1 7lb blue for my efforts....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2007, 12:42 PM
HDH

Default Re: Lucky!

I had a Merc 90 Hp outboard and it had 2 solonoid relay switches approx. 2" square one for raising and the other lowering the motor. Mine were located in the front (looking at it from inside boat) right side. You can test with a meter or switch them to find the bad one, they were the same on mine not sure about the 150 but pretty sure this may be your problem by it working one way. Hope this works out for you, Let me know if it is your problem.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:50 PM
First Mate

wow! thanks I didn't even think of that
Old 09-24-2007, 07:13 AM

if it is not the solonoid and it is the motor as long as it is not all corroded up you can send the trim and tilt motor out and get it repaired instead of replacing it we send them out all the time it costs about $75.00 to have them rebuilt a whole lot less than a new 1
Old 09-24-2007, 09:09 AM
First Mate

thanks! I bet its the solonoid b/c it doesn't even click when i press the up button.. i've always thought that if there is a click that is the solonoid trying to send a spark to the motor..... I bet that's what I am dealing with. I've only found what appears to be one though. are there two?
Old 09-24-2007, 10:27 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

the trim motor is controlled by a pair of soloniods, one for up, one for down... up has blue wires connected to it, down has green.... check the in line fuse.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:51 AM
First Mate

Thanks Roc! I actually checked the solonoids and switched them and sure enough the motor trims down and not up! the exact opposite....... a $41 repair... I got off light! Thanks boyz!
Old 12-01-2007, 08:43 PM
Official Member

"is there a way to override the tilt motor for instance so so could get the motor in the water to get home if this happens again?"

I had the same problem once on a Evenrude 90, my problem was due to low fluid. Any way I learned that by loosening a screw on the tilt/ trim ram assembly I could get the motor to lower to the running position. I wish I could tell you exactly where this screw is on your engine, all I'm sure of is most t/t units have this function for this purpose.