Tin boats - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance Tips and discussion on Boat parts/boat maintenance.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Default Tin boats

I'm thinking for the future, like next year?
Wondering about tin (aluminum) vs. Glass.
On one hand tin will be economical requireing less HP (with speed prop) to push.
On the other hand, in some seas it can be a basterd to be comfortable in on a run.
I'm thinking 17-20 ft. (leaning towards 19), mostly to the Block Island rip. Being a "fair weather" fisherman, anything out there in 20/25 knot breezes wouldn't be comfortable fishing to begin with, is the weight of glass enough to warrent the fuel as compared to tin?
What say ye? Glass or tin? (given the same HP)
Definately trailered (no moring), mostly alone w/ dog, and yes,,, i can get stupid at times.
I'll be wanting to flounder, striper, blackfish, weakfish, fluke, scup, etc. and maybe some recreational lobstering (12 pot limit). The tin would have to be welded, not riveted.
Most runs couldbe out of Point Judith area, and destined for far side of the "Bay" to the Thames River and beyond (thus the concern for fuel vs. comfort). Kind of a "camper" (weekend trippin) boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2007, 04:02 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: Tin boats

I've owned and fished from both, aluminum is nice for trailering, but if it gets choppy you get your @$$ kicked.....If your going to be trailering and fishing alone, go with the tin boat, otherwise the glass gives a little added comfort...
Old 12-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Expected 90% just me and the dog.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Lunker

Take this with a grain of salt because I'm not an ocean fisherman . I have however, owned boats on Lake Ontario and used both aluminum and glass on both large and small lakes .

Aluminum is great right up to the point you leave the launch, after that , give me the solid feel and better ride of glass. I too fish mostly alone . I currently fish out of a 21' dual console and I'm guessing I've launched ut by my lonesome about 60 times this year . Once you get into a routine of what you need to do with the heavier boat, it's no big deal . I would think that for ocean fishing, the pros of glass far outweigh the cons.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:29 PM
Official Member

http://blacklabmarine.com/

There are all sorts of aluminum boats out there.This outfit used to make a 20' cc, I'm not sure if they still do. These are sweet boats but they are a little pricy. The ride on these is superb. Notice what the USCG uses for it's ocean going vessels.....hint: it's not fiberglass. The other comments about normal aluminum boats are right on the money though.