New to Group - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > New Member Introductions
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New Member Introductions Please introduce yourself to the members of Stripers247.com

Old 08-07-2007, 07:35 PM

Default New to Group

Hey,
My name is Ron, I'm 40, I'm from Lynn, MA. I used to fish most every night many years ago. It was a good way to forget about a crappy day at work and I USED to catch fish. I got out of it for awhile (10 years?) and took up hang gliding (big fun), which I still like to do. Anyway, I just bought myself a boat about a month ago. It's an 1987 18' Wellcraft, center console, w/a 90 Mercury OB, and I think a 45 gallon fuel tank. It runs great, is just the right size (for me), isn't bad on fuel at all, and is a lot of fun. I can use it for all my fishing needs or take it fresh water tubing with the family. It's easy to launch and load on/off the trailer. Funny thing is, I could've bought much larger boats (24'-26') in decent shape for the same or even less money, but, gas is an issue for me, as obviously it is to so many who are selling their bigger boats for fairly short money, and I trailer my boat, so launching, loading and driving are easier. I launch out of Lynn, fish usually anywhere from Nahant to Deer Island to Graves and over to Marblehead and Salem. Once I get my Garmin 545s installed I plan to start launching from Newburyport and Gloucester. I hear of great fishing at both those places, but the area is unfamiliar to me and I wouldn't feel very confident there at night without an electronic aid to navigation. Since I got my boat I've only caught a single striper. I'm catching lots of blues, and they are fun when you have guests on the boat who don't really fish, but I WANT stripers. I eat stripers. I've tried live eels, which I USED to do excellent with. Also, I've tried drifting mackeral chunks and select seaworms as well as sinking them to the bottom. I go to rocky shores and exposed rocks and toss the bait towards the rocks where the water is crashing, let it sit there a bit then reel in slowly, stopping every few, for a few. Other times I anchor up a little further away and let the bait sit on the bottom, but this usually leads to DOGS by the dozens. I almost always chum little bits of herring. I'm getting a bit frustrated. When I first got into striper fishing, keepers needed to be 36" and every night my buddy and I would normally catch at least a fish each, usually 32"-35.75", once in a while getting a keeper. We always tried to go 2 hours before till 2 hours after high tide. My largest striper ever was 38" and REALLY fat. Now, I get nothing and the keeper size is only 28". I'm hoping the Garmin 545s will help me out a little as far as reading the bottom goes and maybe that will put me on to some fish, but what I'm doing now USED to work for me.

Anyone have the 545s? I can't seem to find any reviews on it

Take Care, Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2007, 07:00 AM

Default Re: New to Group

Welcome Ron! We'll be driving right past Lynn on our way to the gathering at Popham Beach in 9 days. Care to join us. Check out the Gatherings Forum
Old 08-08-2007, 08:19 AM
First Mate

Welcome to the site

BryanL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2007, 10:00 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Well Ron. welcome to the party..

first an 18' boat is probably the most versatile boat ever built, and Wellcraft builds some of the best. I was once asked by a coast gaurd petty officer while fishing 15 miles offshore if being that far from land bothered me in my "small" boat( I have run an 18' Jon dory since1980) I replied with a question "what do you guys do when your BIG boat sh*ts the bed.... the answer ,get in a SMALL boat.....Of coarse small boat captains should always use common sense and heed all NOAA warnings... a word about electronics... they can fail, there is no substitute for a good compass, the knowledge to use it and knowledge of your local waters....
Anyway back to Bassin'

Your doing something different than you used to, I fished those dreaded years when 36" was a "keeper" and it wasnt easy, but the fact that you were able to catch fish in those dreadfull slow periods tells me you know something....

Take a good look at what you are doing, look at your log book ( you SHOULD have a log book), those same haunts and methods that produced fish in the mid 90's should hold plenty of fish now....

Relax and enjoy, you simply may be trying too hard, go back to your roots, choose one method and stick with it... dont play "hopscotch" or youll find yourself wasting alot of time that could be better spent fishing....

Tight lines
Roc
Old 08-08-2007, 05:28 PM
Bowanna

Welcome Ron. I just joined S247 in June. A lot of well informed people here with good tips.