Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Fall Run Metals and Lures - Stripers

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  JoeG@Breezy 
#1 ·
Lets have a little tackle inquiry as I am sure many can pick up a tip or two from all who participate here as there are many newbies and also seasoned pros so consider offering up some quality info...

1. Boat Guys - Based on where you fish when the fall run starts, what is your go to metal and artificial once your bite turns on. Tell us about your forage (aka bait) that infiltrate your home waters and what you use and why. How about time of day? Water temps, and do you think this year has the signs to make it epic?

2. Surf and Shore Rats - Same as above. You have some needs that are different than the boaters like casting for distance, surf conditions, etc...so, what are your lures of choice?

I'll chime in along the way...
Capt. Johnny Luchka..

#2 ·
Our go to Metals have been the new 5 oz deadly dicks with Orange side stickers and also the Yellow. Bass are feeding on Butterfish and spike Weakies and these are the key colors!

Weighted Swim Shads from Tsunami drowned in Bio-Edge Bunker oil have been a huge hit for Bass but removed when the Blues are around.

What an awesome fall run off NJ we are presently having! And once the Sand Eels show up we'll be using the Hogy, Bill Hurley and slim metals from Deadly Dick to get them over the rail and in the pail!
Capt. Johnny Luchka

#3 ·
I think the East Coast has some of the best Striper fishing in the country. Where I usually fish, we don't have a fall run. I'm from California and I've been fishing the California Aqueduct quiet a bit lately. Now for those of you who aren't too familiar with it, it's a 444 mile long concrete canal that runs from Central California to Southern California. This place is loaded with land locked striped bass. In the fall they fatten up on minnows and they explode on the surface in the early mornings and evenings chasing bait fish. My go to lures for this time of year is the Duo Realis 120. It's a good searching lure when you're power fishing down this concrete river.

#4 ·
#1 are Halco Twisties. Wide enough for Mullet and Peanut Bunker. 55 to 70gm, Smaller versions, say 15 to 40 gm for Spearing and Anchovies. When we have sand eels you add a feather tail or a rubber tube and your'e off to the proverbail races. They cast well, swim better than anything I have found and stand up to toothy punishment when bluefish are around. They are from Australia but you can find them on line and in a few shops on both coasts.

#7 ·
Can't say there is much difference other tan the PIA getting some KM's on a clip. They are slightly narrower, and I do believe they cast better. I like them dresses because the action is what I like and the dressing (feather / bt or tube) moves better. MHO.
Most of my liking these comes from side by side lineups taking more with twisties than Diamonds, KM's or Hopkins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.