Choosing the fly Jack Gartside - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers on the Fly
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers on the Fly Discuss fly fishing for Striped Bass here. Fly tying, tips, tricks, reports, etc. Everything fly!

Old 12-11-2006, 12:02 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default http://www.jackgartside.com/

his gurglers are one of THEE go to fly;s for bass fishing. gift idea;s for the salt flyrodder? http://www.jackgartside.com/flies_salt_list.php#surface
at 4 bucks a piece it's a steal

http://www.jackgartside.com/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2007, 01:33 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Choosing the fly Jack Gartside

Jack Gartside

http://www.jackgartside.com/index.php

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	earlyseason2.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	4466   Click image for larger version

Name:	swsurface.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	4468  
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2008, 11:15 AM
Fly fishin' geek

Default Re: Choosing the fly Jack Gartside

I really like the look of his silversides. I bet they are slayers on the water.
I had almost forgotten about silversides. I don't know how many times I have been out on the boat, looked down and seen them flashing in the water below me.

*ugh*
I'm running off to my own vise now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

working on another fly now but will have to wait for parts (don't ask) in the mail. will post a how to when all is finished. micro baits are a big part of what is here in the spring. i am gonna target weakies more aggressively this season.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Fly fishin' geek

You busted your vise too?
I don't feel so alone.
I actually got the Nor-vise owner on the phone last week. He helped me troubleshoot everything, and I ordered a new set of jaws for my vise.
Now Its like crack, I cant stop tying I love it so much.

Im a norvise man for life now.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:42 AM
Official Member

How do you like tying with your NorVise? What do you like most about it? Thanks.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:52 PM
Fly fishin' geek

Whitetail

When I first got it I was frustrated to no end, but now with a little experience, those frustrations are the things I like the best.

I upgraded to a Cam lock Jaw (I had quite an old version), and like the fact that I can pop a fly in, rotate it all around and the fly stays horizontal. It rotates smoothly, and easily.
I tie on my tinsel, fibers or whatever, set my automatic bobbin off to the side and spin the jaws to apply material.
I find this makes more even spirals, the material doesn't slip out of my fingers, and I don't need to fuss with passing materials up and over the hook etc. I also don't need to use an extra hand or try to mess with levers to rotate my fly.

When putting on eyes... its a dream. Just flip the fly over.
There are no levers, or knobs to mess with when you want to rotate your fly. Just a pul and spin.

The automatic bobbins are nice because you don't need to re-spool extra thread when you get it pulled. The spool is spring loaded so it recoils like a window blind, but can easily pulled out to a stopping point (with practice you can feel the spot)

My flies now look much better, and cause much less frustration on the vise.
You tube has a bunch of NorVise videos, I think their website does too.
I emailed them to become a dealer, but still waiting on the return. I don't think they wholesale anything. Where Mr. Norlander makes them and services them himself, I belive its a one family operation.

Worth every penny.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

if i had the time and money i would go hog wild but i have little time to tie and fish as well. my time in the water and on the vice is for ideas of new patterns as i have what i (believe) i need to be prepared here. i wanted to get you some small patterns but too busy yet. will do though and btw i cast the tinker fly and it holds up nicely and swims very good, impressed with your tying and i give them a 2 thumbs up. of course there were no fish to be had when i tested em but in july august sept when the peanut bunker and mullet become thick i shall get a pic (*if not sooner as i sometimes can slaughter a fly with a bluefish but that would not be my idea of a good catch)

Old 05-14-2008, 09:39 AM
Striper Hunter

Cool Re: Choosing the fly Jack Gartside

That small brown flecked with black fly at the bottom of your first picture is Jack's Cinder Worm Fly.

Tye up a couple of Jacks Gurglers in brown/orange/red and dead drift them with an occasional twitch over a worm swarm and you will get striped bass.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:07 PM
Fly fishin' geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
btw i cast the tinker fly and it holds up nicely and swims very good, impressed with your tying and i give them a 2 thumbs up.
Thanks Zim.
I like them, I have to work a little when throwing them on a 9wt, but once they get wet they seem to do better.

One of the things I always look for when trying a new fly is, does it look like what I want in the water?

Thanks for your kind words. The pogies and Macks Just hit Maine and the Stripers are ignoring pretty much anything that isn't a pogie this week. Next week I'm hoping they will be chasing more Macks and I will be hitting more with the tinker flies.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:15 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

tied on a 5 in mac pattern and cast into schools of bunker and they didn;t want the fly, just the live bait. strip snagged a couple of bunker and every fish was a bluefish that cut em in half. i snagged 3rd one with the fly and a bass took off like a bat out of hell with it just to have the hook dislodge along the way. i stayed and got 7 more bunker for bait and chunked for 6 bluefish and not one bass came for the heads (all bluefish) the water was a cesspool of algae and whatnot so i took waders off and chunked bait. i wish i had time to fish my ass off