Newbie heading out tomorrow - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 07-18-2011, 11:48 PM
Official Member

Default Newbie heading out tomorrow

Hey everyone - been reading these threads for the last couple weeks and learning a ton, thanks for the info. I was a casual freshwater guy growing up, then got away from it for 15 years or to. Just started back up this summer as I now have access to a boat in Boston Harbor and trying to learn everything I can about snagging saltwater fish.

Here's my setup - just wanted to run these by you all and get any feedback. This will be the first trip of the season.

Setup #1: 6' Ugly Stik Heavy Action 8-20lb. Shakespeare spinning reel @ 6-10lb spooled with 15# mono. Thinking of using this as strictly casting.
Setup #2: 7' Ugly Stik Med-Heavy Action 8-20lb. Shakespeare spinning reel @ 12-17lb spooled with 15# mono. Use this to cast and troll.
Setup #3: 8' Ugly Stik Medium Action 10-25#. Shakespeare spinning reel @ 14-20lb with 20# mono. Use this to cast and troll.

Got the first two setups as gifts and bought the last one over the weekend. Have the usual variety of lures - shard, poppers, eels, worms, etc. and tackle - 1-4lb weights, barrel and snap swivels, etc.

Think we are going to grab some mackerel and chunk it tomorrow. My plan is to just set the hook directly on the mono line and drift/cast or if that doesn't work, troll a bit with the chunks or lures. Our plan now is to start around Governors Flats, then head over to Deere Island and Winthrop/Nahant areas for a few hours.

Thanks for any advice on the setup and overall feedback on strategy. Have yet to even get out on the water and I'm already addicted to hunting the stripers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Newbie heading out tomorrow

Hi bcandybc,
Sorry we missed this post. How did your trip go? Sounds like you have a pretty decent plan (except for trolling with chucks) for a first time out. If fishing with chucked bait, you're probably best off doing so while anchored or drifting. Use a weight on a 3 way or a slide above the hook to get it down on the bottom. Look on the charts for structure in the area, like rock piles, ledges, drop offs, etc. and target those areas.

Read this as well:
https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=4888