Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Need Help!

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  dockside2082 
#1 ·
I live on a lake in Illinois and have recently started fishing for Hybrids in our lake. We have a tremendous amount of shad in the lake that I am using for bait and rigging the shad like I assume I'm supposed to (hook through the nose holes). My problem is that at least half of the time I get a hit I end up hooking the shad instead of the striper. Is there a way to avoid this or rig the shad differently? I'm losing out on a lot of fish because of this and it's pretty frustrating. Any help from some of you seasoned veterans out there would be appreciated.

#3 ·
Dockside,

Your problem is not uncommon. Basically, the shad gets hit so hard that the hook is pulled through, and when you set the hook, the hook buries in the shad, instead of the hyb. I have solved that problem in two different ways.

First, on smaller 2-4" shad, you can cut small (1/16") inch pieces of 1/8" wide rubber bands, and run the piece onto the hook before you put the bait on. Place the band where the bend in the hook starts to straighten into the shank. That will prevent the shad from sliding on the hook, thus keep the hook from turning back into the shad.

Second, on the larger baits, you can run the hook from the corner of the baits mouth, and out the top of the nose, through the nose hole. On the smaller baits, there is not enough "meat" to keep the hook from wallowing out.

Yaz

Now, where did you say that hybrid lake is located???? :whistle::redbiggrin:

#4 ·
Yaz-

Thanks a bunch for the tips. I'm trying to picture what you mean about the rubber band but the baits I have been using have been pretty large. (five inches or better) so I'll try hooking the bait through the side of the mouth through one of the nose holes and se what that does for me. As far as the location goes, I'm afraid it's a private community lake (about 440 acres near Edwardsville, Illinois). The smallest one I've pulled out to date is 4 pounds, biggest I've actually seen come out was 16 pounds. Most are in the 5-9 pound range. There are only about four guys other than me that fish for them which is nice but of course those 4 are out there every day so I imagine it does put some stress on the population. Do people also jig for Stripers? The majority of the fish are caught off of a submerged bridge in the center of the lake (depth goes from about 22 feet to 17) and everyone is simply trolling shad over this area or anchoring and casting out and letting the shad do the work. Any suggestions on other ways to fish these?

Thanks again for the tips!

#5 ·
No veteran here...but " I would pull some artifical in front of these fish and see what developes!"
Let's see where would we find something that looks like a shad ??? :whistle:

What are they called ?? Gizz ...4s ??? :wink1:

#6 ·
Dockside,

Sounds like a real Hyb honeyhole!!! They are finding out here in Indiana that the Hybrids do well in smaller lakes.

If you want to troll or cast lures, my top choice is a white bucktail jig for either. Slowretrieve on this board catches them casting more than anybody I know, and he may be able to help you out on lure choice for that.

I will find a picture of the "rubber band on the hook" trick I tried to describe to you. But the vertical hook through the upper lip, into the nose works well also. That bait hooking method tends to catch more fish in the roof of their mouths and in the upper lip, and seems to hold them better than the horizontal method of hooking bait.

Yaz

Hey Toothfish! LMJ got you on the Smack payroll!!!!! :wink1:

#7 ·
Toothfish/Yaz-

Thanks to you both for the info. I'll get a chance to try out the new rigging this weekend and will let you know how it goes. If you can find a picture of the rubber band thing that would be great but don't go to any trouble. I'll be visiting Cabelas/Bass Pro's website as soon as I post this to look into the artificials you mentioned as well. I assume the white bucktail jig is weighted to get down deep enough? These fish usually hold around 10-18 feet depending on conditions.

Again, I appreciate your input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.