Salt Water License? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Striper Information & Services > Striped Bass Fishery Conservation / Politics / Management / News > Saltwater Licence Registry links /Regulations / Laws
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Licence Registry links /Regulations / Laws State game thief and Poacher hotlines / U.S. State Trailering Laws / Registration & Guidelines / Regulations / DNRs / Wildlife fish and game / and other govermental agencies / Park service Pass / Fees / News , fishing bills, conservation, regulations pertaining to the striped bass

View Poll Results: How do you feel about a salt water license?
Yes I am for it! 19 32.76%
No way not me! 39 67.24%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2004, 04:28 PM

Default Salt Water License?

I ran into a posting on another site. The topic of salt water license was brought up. I figured it was a good topic to post as my first poll. Personally I am o.k. with it as long as all states along the Striper coast have the same recreational bag limit. Heck I already live in the most over taxed state in the region. Why not another license? Every year I buy a cobmination hunting/fishing license and Pheasant stamp, for a grand total of $60. Why not a salt water license costing around $10-$15. I'll dish out $75 to do the things I love. Back in the old days I'd chew thru $75 in a night of drinking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2004, 04:47 PM

Linesides

The reason for me is over regulation. And the right to fish for us all. Including those who cant afford it. I realize its advantages regarding overfishing and poaching and such but if you already own a freshwater/fishing/hunting license then just add the saltwater tag to it.

I ve made this argument before. If you want to fish out of state its sometimes double and or triple the price. and if you live in a three state border town it can be daunting. Out of state freshwater for NY and NJ for me already costs close to 100 bucks. Add the 23 dollars for Pa and 5 bucks for a trout stamp and you can see where Im going with this.
Overnight beach Parking fees. Town fees, State fees, federal fees, marina fees, beach buggy fees, Each fee in a different state. Except federal of course.
Tell me a better system and something universal and practical and I'll listen otherwise Im against them Completely. Many poachers are criminals ands dont buy licenses anyway and only law abiding people would be obliged to hold the tag .

I agree, I throw money away daily but some people are budgeted with large families and simply cant afford the fees.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:48 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Yeah, I'm starting to think that it is closer to becoming a reality, or atleast almost time to be seriously considered. I their not going to do that, they should atleast make people get a license to fish estuaries/marshes and protected wetlands. There is just too many degenerates around, and these particular places need to be "policed" a little more, atleast around here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2004, 05:07 PM

Yeah, I like a lively debate! How about a plan that will give you a salt water license and save you money?
When I hunted waterfowl I had to purchase State Migratory and Federal Migratory Waterfowl stamps. It boiled down to another license on top of the Hunting License I already purchase on a yearly basis. I did not like it but I did it because it was the law. Now that I am into Pheasants I do the same. Why, because it is the law?
A ten dollar Federal salt water stamp is the way to go in my opinion. The individual states have had enough time screwing up our natural resuorces. Time for the feds to jump in just like they did when the Black Duck population was near collapse.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:19 PM

The money will not be used for us. It will go into the "general fund" and pay for all kinds of crap not related to fishing and the fee will go up each year.

I'm all for an "Altantic Coast" regulation that makes the fishing field the same for stripers from NC to ME, but no taxes, fees, or any of that stuff.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:18 PM
Veteran

I'll second that :?:
Old 11-28-2004, 06:12 PM

You put a license in front of your name and you get immediate legitimacy. We are all nothing more than a group of fisherpeople with voices that are pretty much unheard by N.,M.,F.,S. We get licenses and all of a sudden they can see the numbers (economic impact) affected by their decions. Right now we barely have a foot to stand on. We give 'em money each year to pretty much do what they will with, general fund or whatever. What do we get back in return? We get the right to sit at the bargaining table.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:34 PM

No we don't. We get told what we will pay each year. We pay taxes and we don't sit at the table. Best case is we vote for the people we THINK will serve us.

If we pay a fee, we are just another tax base like car owners, home owners, etc. Tax bases just get exploited for more $$ to meet "necessary budget items" like raises for the people who raise the fees.

Sorry for the rant.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:40 PM

I still say I'd be for a national saltwater licence, if you had to pay every state you wanted to fish that would be BS. But a reasonable $20 or so would be ok with me, might keep some of the scumbags home. At least they could just be fined for fishin without a licence even if they hadn't done any poachin yet
Old 11-29-2004, 01:54 PM

Quote:
if you had to pay every state you wanted to fish that would be bs
In a perfect world a universal license wouldnt be a bad idea. But Charlie is right. More taxation without representation. We would get lip service and nothing more. Nothing would change, and its not because I'm cynical but because nothing would change. The powers that be would have to step up their efforts by prosecuting and fining poachers instead of accepting monetary support from the commercial industry before we would even consider it here. They have to make the striper a game fish and ban commercial harvesting of menhaden. Make them aquaculture the damn things.
Before you know it it would be a $40 saltwater license then they'd add a special striper stamp to it just like they do with fresh water trout. When the stripers disappear from the waters they will still sell the licenses to the 70 million or so saltwater fishermen.

Opens up a can of worms I say.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:55 PM

I already buy a fresh water license. I am suggesting a Striper stamp along the lines of a waterfowl stamp. Ten bucks or so. Proceeds to pay for enforcement and a stocking program. Do the still stock Stripers in N.C.? Ever wonder why that state has the surf fishing we all dream of? Not too tough to figure out.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:06 PM

LS

I dont believe they stock marine stripers. Most stocking is done by the state DNRs and clubs that purchase them from freshwater hatcheries into landlocked impoundments. They dont reproduce landlocked so they must be restocked.
But I see your point and so do many others. They believe as does George Poveromo of Salt Water Sportsman and ESPN2 TV.
(paraphrase from another post. NJ sportsman of the year.)
"Poveromo may have been the first angler to speak in favor of a saltwater fishing license in N.J. and not get run out of the state on a rail.
He emphasized the importance of having statistics to prove how important recreational fishing is to the economy, and noted that Florida's license led to the vote which eliminated netting in state waters and has resulted in a huge improvement in inshore fishing."
I think that the great surf fishing is due to the tremendous abundance of bait and the water temperatures, rather than the stockings.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:08 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Salt Water License?

It was reported to me that a license will be required in Massachusetts as well, in the very near future. This is a Federal regulation, and without a state license, a federal one would be required. This was made mention of at a recent Barnstable County League meeting, and passed on to the membership of the Cape Cod Canal Sportsman's Club at our last meeting.

I will not get into the constitutionality of a Salt Water fishing license, in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Nor my position as a states rights issue.

I will say I would much rather a federal license or stamp, to purchasing licenses in each state, should I fish them. Much like a stamp for migratory fowl.

I realize there are those who wish to keep the money in the state, but this is short sighted, in my opinion, as all funds collected in the Commonwealth are subject to inclusion in the general fund....Hello Tobacco Tax...Which is rediculous.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:51 AM
Veteran Elite

Thumbs down Re: Salt Water License?

I am not really for a licence. I live in RI and fish in both RI and Mass. to hunt and fish in both states I spend over 150 on licenses for the year. I just hope that money is going to conservation, stocking etc... If Mass did a saltwater lic. then they should do a combo fresh/salt or just have a striper stamp or something. The way these states manage money I would not be suprised if we all had to pay a line wetting tax. and a sand removel tax for the sand that was stuck to our shoes when we left the shore.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:39 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Default Re: Salt Water License?

A saltwater liscence issued by states I'm definately against.
As much as I love R.I. I've never seen anything a R.I. politician didn't screw up in the end.
IF there must be one, I'd rather it be national. I fish RI, CT, Mass, VT, and NY.
I'd need to buy 5! I'd need to take time to find where to get them. I'd need to make a special trip someplace just to get them.
I don't drive to NY,,, but I fish Fisher's Island (see the trip?)
I'll yak out of the Pawcatuck where a right turn puts me in RI,, a left turn puts me in CT.
From what I understand the Feds. are behind this in order to evaluate quotas / takes / population that fishes, etc.
The theory sounds good,,, but it's full of holes!
A guy gets a liscence, how do they know what the guy fishes for? does he keep his catch? And if the liscence is national, bought in R.I, how will it take into consideration that the guy is stationed in San Diago and all his fishing is there?
Or the guy lives in Westerly and only fishes flounder in the spring in CT.?
I just think it's poorly thought out. Just anouther way to increase taxes with a poorly justified excuse.
If Federal wants it,,, give a little less to foreign aid and spend my income tax here. Lord kows they waste enough money on their hair brained scheems (like S.S. for illegal aliens?)
If the state wants it,,, let them start doing what we're already paying taxes for, like open up and enforcing public right-of-ways to fishing areas!! (Quonny Breachway for example - more of my tax dollars at work for me?)
Whoever does the liscencing is opening up a whole new area of taxation potential. First thing they'll do is cry "foul"! We can't afford to police the law, so we need to increase the tax for vehicles, added personnel, equipment, etc, etc., etc.
I'm very opinionated on this, and the answer is NO!

And while I'm ranting. I bought a "RI State Beach Pass" over 3 weeks ago. It's still not in the computer. I get stopped and asked for the sales reciept! $30.00 and they can't get someone to "hit a button?"
I don't even want to comment on the Registry of Motor Vehicles.
Define, "of the people, for the people". Please!