Surfmasters and the line they use - Page 4 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Stripers 101 - Sticky Threads
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 03-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Surfmasters and the line they use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Z View Post
Here's a Surfmaster with 20#pink Ande
Do you still use your surfmaster? I bought one second hand in the late 50's I still have it, I think it was from the 40's because I was the 4th owner. I still have it have not used it since the mid 60's. Great reel. Can you still get parts for it? I might use it this spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Official Member

Just curious when using a flurocarbon leader for plugging, do most people tie the leader directly to the lure, or do they use a small snap swivel?
Old 03-06-2009, 11:53 AM

People go both ways.

Personally, I always tie direct. One less component in the mix that could fail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Cow Catcher

When Pluggin' Break-Aways.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:53 PM
First Mate

I like Big Game mono line myself for fishing.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm
Just curious when using a flurocarbon leader for plugging, do most people tie the leader directly to the lure, or do they use a small snap swivel?
I like to tie direct myself with a loop knot when using only a couple or two plugs. But I always use the swivels on metal lips and tins. Or when lazy and need a teaser.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:45 PM

so the feel i'm getting is most of you use braided line. just curious as to why?
anyone old fashioned out there using mono? if so what poundage are ya using?
i try to stick around 25-30 but when i go to fill the spool i'm always told to use 15-20 by the shops.... any word on why's that?

fishing the jersey surf and the occasional party/charter boat trips and i interchange the reels. they're spinning if that makes a difference.
thanks for any input
Old 03-10-2009, 04:33 PM

Braid = distance - structure - small diameter - hence lighter reel - sensitivity to the plug. - jigging. More line when a fish hits at 100 yards and runs another 100. Doesnt absorb water.
Other guys have their own reasons. Fireline has some abrasian resistence around rocks.
I dont like wind knots. When they're deep in the spool at night and go undetected say, bye - bye to that beautiful plug. Watch a grown man cry.

I always loved mono from the time I first started bait fishing still do - 20 pound ande. I sometimes use it on the penn 706 and 04s
Nice to have some stretch Sometimes. I just check the leader for chaffing often.
Some guys excell at different stuff.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Official Member

i would not even think of fishing without 50# suffix braid, wetsuit, VS250, my custom 11' lamiglass ron arra super surf,oh ya a rigged eel and my needles
Old 03-04-2010, 05:31 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Welcome Aboard Hutch. Nice to meet you.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Official Member

20# fireline with 30#leader, mono and fluoro, with tactical anglers at the end
Old 03-06-2010, 12:55 AM

I'm seriously digging on those Tactical Angle clips as well
Old 03-06-2010, 01:10 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

I bought a ton of them also. They are pretty awesome
Old 07-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Striper Hunter

Figured I'd chime in on this thread (late)... I'm no surfmaster... more like a surfmustard. Interesting read from SWS and great feedback from the board. ... Always been a mono-guy, until about a month or two ago. . I started the season with good mono on a couple reels I use the most. Couldn't take hearing another good review of braid... even my local B&T guy switched this year... SO... I compared by trying 30lb Power Pro after stripping the mono off of the smaller of the 2 reels. Immediately I could tell I was going to like it. I casted every lure in the bag that the little reel could handle... and bait on the bottom. No more loops in the running line... no more twists. No more mono for that one I guess... Then the next one ( a larger reel ) was stripped of it's mono and 50lb PP was put on. MAN does this stuff freakin cast good or what?? Mono never did this. For anyone still on the fence about braid.. try it. It's more spendy, but it really fishes nice. I have an old Daiwa I just fixed up which I am tempted to switch over too, but I just may put some 20lb Suffix on it. Not sure it is braid-ready being an old reel. That (a reel's age) might be the only reason now that I wouldn't use braid. Old dogs can learn new tricks all day long I guess!!!
Old 07-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Update: Executive Decision ....

Well.... Stick a fork in me, cuz I'm D-O-N-E with mono in saltwater... maybe eveywhere .... Like a dope... I pushed it and used mono to fish Sunday AM... The success window at "My Spot" is extremely small... I simply do not have alot of choices locally. Second chances are nearly unheard of there. I had just respooled with 20lb Maxima the day before, so I figured wtf.... go with it. So I used the reel that was on the St Croix already... baaad move. Lost 2 nice fish in addition to a cow 3 weeks ago. All of 'em pulled me over the edge of a hole I found (or should I say they found). The average season for me with limited shore access... does not offer up too many freebies. I can no longer leave things to chance. There is a place for mono (I'm sure) in somebody's tackle scene... Somebody somewhere has some love left for the stuff... but not me. Braid can break sure.... but you can't argue with success. Every fish on braid this year for me at this same spot has been landed... kind of a no-brainer now.