Surfmasters and the line they use - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Stripers 101 - Sticky Threads
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 10-23-2006, 12:02 AM

Default Surfmasters and the line they use

SWS line Article

• What Line the pros use and Why?
  • What is their line of Choice:
  • What Rod and Reel:
  • Favorite Time of Year:
  • Favorite Location:
  • Ideal Conditions:
  • Rookie Mistake:
  • Must-Have Lure:
  • Biggest Goof:
  1. Frank Daignault
  2. Alberto Knie
  3. Lou Tabory
  4. Tony Stetzko
  5. Mike Everin
Quote:
Crazy Alberto= Line of Choice: In rocky areas, I'll go with 65-pound Sufix Performanc Braid with an 80-pound mono leader. People say it's overkill, but I've had too many big bass out-muscle me with lighter line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2006, 10:57 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Default Re: Surfmasters and the line they use

Interestingly the pros differ just like the members do here.
Some like braid, some don't.
Some live by the moon, others don't.
Some like post storms, some don't.
I'm beginning to think there's more than one right way to fish!
Old 10-23-2006, 11:50 AM

Definitely! If there was only one right way we'd all know how to do it and sites like this wouldn't exist.

Something else to keep in mind is that a lot of the Pros are sponsered and are not about to kill the golden goose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2006, 12:49 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Very true. I'll use whatever line they tell me if the price is right. LMAO

I'm about to blow it up in the Striper Room, so keep an eye out for my new post LOL. Time to get things riled up and get people posting.

Old 10-23-2006, 07:01 PM

Old 10-24-2006, 02:24 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

He gets his Sufix for free lol.

I used to use 50 pound Fireline XDS when fishing Boars Head. That shit is like anchor rope lol. They dock battleships with that shite LMAO.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:22 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

I've caught fish on a variety of lines. Mostly 50# braid, this year. Some Fireline , 30#.
Always a fluorocarbon or heavy mono leader, 50# or 60#. :D
Old 11-06-2006, 09:11 PM

Thumbs up Re: Surfmasters and the line they use

I've been using the 50# power pro this season. I love the stuff especially the way it casts with an unweighted sluggo.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:19 PM
I had a BLAST!

With braid, I've used up to 65# line. On those rocks in RI, it's worth it. Ya can't have enough strength, when it come to your line.
I've used 80# braid, briefly, with 70# fluorocarbon. I realize that I don't need that much.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:31 PM
Striper Hunter

Question Re: Surfmasters and the line they use

Some fishermans have used fluorcabon like shockleader with braided lines.
What a reason? Fluourcarbon has almost zero stretching abilities and can't work like mono (spring) for shock reducing.
Your's opinion?
Old 01-25-2007, 02:15 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
I just ordered some sufix 65. lol Ive had too many biguns out muscle me too.
I'll stay with my 17# Silver Tread copolymer.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:41 AM
I had a BLAST!

I love braid and Fireline for it's abrasion resistance. And ya can't beat the thin diameter.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:27 PM
Lunker
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ING View Post
Some fishermans have used fluorcabon like shockleader with braided lines.
What a reason? Fluourcarbon has almost zero stretching abilities and can't work like mono (spring) for shock reducing.
Your's opinion?
Let's start by making sure we are discussing the same thing. To me a shockleader runs from the rig/lure up to the tip, (with the "drop" you use for casting), down the rod and then wraps the spool at least 5 times. Any line that falls short of wrapping the spool is not a "shockleader."

My opinion is that I think the term "shockleader" is a misnomer; in a properly executed high energy cast there is no "shock" per-se, the power application is a smooth progression.

My position is that the rod is an incredible absorber of energy .... the thought that one must rely on a heavy length of stretchy mono to "protect" the rod from the "shock" of the cast seems nonsensical to me. This even makes less sense when one realizes that among all the surf anglers out there only a small minority that are actually fully loading their rods and "hitting" the cast for maximum advantage (the point where the rod could actually be overstressed) . . .

For me, I want to deliver the maximum energy to the sinker when I cast; introducing another component into the process that saps energy by stretching does not compute for me. My distance fishing set-ups all are running 20lb Sufix braid running line and between 65lb - 100lb braid casting leaders.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:17 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelinRod View Post
Let's start by making sure we are discussing the same thing. To me a shockleader runs from the rig/lure up to the tip, (with the "drop" you use for casting), down the rod and then wraps the spool at least 5 times. Any line that falls short of wrapping the spool is not a "shockleader."

My opinion is that I think the term "shockleader" is a misnomer; in a properly executed high energy cast there is no "shock" per-se, the power application is a smooth progression.

My position is that the rod is an incredible absorber of energy .... the thought that one must rely on a heavy length of stretchy mono to "protect" the rod from the "shock" of the cast seems nonsensical to me. This even makes less sense when one realizes that among all the surf anglers out there only a small minority that are actually fully loading their rods and "hitting" the cast for maximum advantage (the point where the rod could actually be overstressed) . . .

For me, I want to deliver the maximum energy to the sinker when I cast; introducing another component into the process that saps energy by stretching does not compute for me. My distance fishing set-ups all are running 20lb Sufix braid running line and between 65lb - 100lb braid casting leaders.
I think that main goal of shock leader is to prevent breakages of main line (not the rod) when long range plumbing with 4-5oz leads. For long casting main line should be light. About 20-25lb. Therefore I have supposed that elastic mono protecting main line better then nonstretching fluorocarbon.
Second important function of shock leader is: when you are landing big fish, it allows you to either grab the leader with your hand to land the fish, or tighten up the drag, once the shock leader is on the spool of the reel.
If elastic abilities of mono not so important for you and you are using 50-65lb braid for mainline you probably don't need any shock leaders.
Good luck!
Old 01-29-2007, 05:12 PM
Lunker
Pro Staff

Quote:
I think that main goal of shock leader is to prevent breakages of main line (not the rod) when long range plumbing with 4-5oz leads. For long casting main line should be light. About 20-25lb.
I agree, I feel the only real function during the cast is to resist the centrifugal force on the line imparted by the swinging sinker. A 5 oz lead swinging 150mph on a 20ft radius "weighs" 40+lbs. I also agree about the light line, the first and easiest path to take for increased distance (with spinners) is small line diameter. As I said, I use 20lb braid running line on my distance fishing set-ups.
Quote:
Second important function of shock leader is: when you are landing big fish, it allows you to either grab the leader with your hand to land the fish, or tighten up the drag, once the shock leader is on the spool of the reel.
I very rarely use a fishfinder rig for stripers, drum and blues; I am usually using a clip down rig of some sort either with a dropper above the weight or a pulley rig. If I do use a fishfinder it is tied in a reverse pulley fashion (up-n-over) so there is always a length of 80lb mono for landing at the top of the rig for me to grab.

For distance fishing I am sold on using sputniks, circle hooks and a backed off drag. It is a rare day when a decent knockdown doesn't end with a fish on the beach.