Newbie here with a couple questions..... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:03 AM
Official Member

Default Newbie here with a couple questions.....

Hey folks, first thanks for taking a minute to read my thread. I just returned from several years overseas and am living in Old Town, Alexandria. Been striper/rockfish fishing for years, mostly up in MA with my father in kayaks. I have resettled here and am interested in taking my stepson out for some action.

Funny thing was when one of the movers saw my rods, he said I was in a good spot for the cows that come up the Potomac. He mentioned the old town area near the power plant. I haven't investigated this area yet, but it is walking distance.

If anyone fishes this area, i'd love to hear from you. My second big question is where I can buy blood worms in the area. Online searches are not yielding much results and the mover mentioned a Spanish convenient store that carried them, but heck if I remember the name or location.

I'd like to get out there soon as this is the season and wanted to get my stepson into some fish, as he is new to the USA and I think I found an activity that we will both enjoy.

Any info is appreciated, even if it is in a private message. Looking forward to reading other posts and adding to the discussions.

Regards,
Striper Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2017, 12:32 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Newbie here with a couple questions.....

Hi, Rob. Welcome to the forum. I'm not familiar with your area, but I would look online for local bait and tackle stores in your area or surrounding area's. Blood worm's can be found at your local Walmart most times. I'm sure a forum member that fishes your area will come along soon. I'm thinking the mover was talking more of Striper fishing more were the Potomac meets the bay, I could be wrong. But I'm sure you can get a lot of info from the internet to get started in the right direction. Tight lines.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:56 AM
Official Member

Thanks for replying Capt. Unfortunately there are no bait shops around here at all. It's amazing. I went to a West Marine and asked them thinking they would have an idea..nothing. I know I could go out with jigs and some Storm shads, etc, but was thinking live bait would be a relaxing way to go with my stepson.

I know stripers come all the way up past DC believe it or not. These are the spawners. I walked the shoreline near me this weekend and the weeds/grass are really protecting the shoreline and I can't see it fish-able right now.

I'm hoping to find someone with real local (Alexandria) knowledge to provide some guidance. I guess there is always catfish! :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2017, 03:08 PM
Official Member

Hi Rob,

They just built a Cabela's in Gainesville and the 7-11's have a bait fridge in every store. I don't know if bloodworms are in there but I would give it a try. Cabela's should have them. I moved back home to Stafford, VA last year after living on Nantucket Island the last 13 years. I'm also ready to get my lines tight on some stripers here. I hear good things about Alexandria in the fall and definitely the spring. For now, I'm making lures until I get a chance to get out there.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:52 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonellr View Post
Hi Rob,

They just built a Cabela's in Gainesville and the 7-11's have a bait fridge in every store. I don't know if bloodworms are in there but I would give it a try. Cabela's should have them. I moved back home to Stafford, VA last year after living on Nantucket Island the last 13 years. I'm also ready to get my lines tight on some stripers here. I hear good things about Alexandria in the fall and definitely the spring. For now, I'm making lures until I get a chance to get out there.
And some Nice lures you do make my friend, yup I'm on here also. Will be talking A lot about the Spring run on the Hudson very soon!!
ps. they got Great "smilies" on here, we should tell Tim about about an upgrade for SOL !!
Old 02-26-2018, 05:27 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FyshhTrap View Post
And some Nice lures you do make my friend, yup I'm on here also. Will be talking A lot about the Spring run on the Hudson very soon!!
ps. they got Great "smilies" on here, we should tell Tim about about an upgrade for SOL !!
Nice!!! Yeah, I'm so dang excited for this spring and summer!! A lot of fishing going down! I'll still build lures also!
Old 02-26-2018, 05:36 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonellr View Post
Nice!!! Yeah, I'm so dang excited for this spring and summer!! A lot of fishing going down! I'll still build lures also!
Ohh Yeahh my friend, just ordered another $100 worth of Joe Baggs Patriot Fish for the Spring river fishing (my go-to) search lures.
Those Needles will be out there too, cant wait to see em !
Also cant wait to see those "Fatty Needles" This year is gonna Rock !!