Stripers on the fly - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers on the Fly
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers on the Fly Discuss fly fishing for Striped Bass here. Fly tying, tips, tricks, reports, etc. Everything fly!

Old 03-21-2014, 07:03 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Stripers on the fly

I am all geared up for Stripers this year on the fly. Anyone want to try and get together? Jersey shore, kayaking, or big D- I am game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2014, 03:31 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Stripers on the fly

Not much fly fishing activity on these blogs. A buddy and I are gearing up as well. What is your game plan? I may hit the river up by Trenton, but I want to hit the shore as much as possible. If you are just offshore in a kayak or small boat is there any sight fishing to be had anywhere close?

Take care

Chris
Old 03-23-2014, 03:39 PM
Striper Hunter

Hi Chris,
For Trenton- the stripers move in that main channel that is closer to the NJ side. On the pa side you can catch a lot of dink's and white perch. I have got them on every cast with a clouser minnow. But the big boys are in that deeper channel.
I would like to wade fish for them up above scudders falls- that would be pretty cool.
For the salt- They will be in the back bays and flats first. Plan on wading for them.
I am looking into getting a 15' gheenoe. If I can get one of those I will be fishing from that thing pretty exclusively. They can come with fore and aft casting decks- very stable and perfect for fly fishing.

For fresh water I want to target big carp and pike and musky's.

What do you guys have in mind?

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2014, 08:04 AM
Official Member

So funny... When we aren't chasing trout on the upper D we have been carping with some success, and musky fishing with little success, but lots of throwing. We have anchored, chummed, and then thrown flies into the chum line and caught nice stripers at the Trenton bridge, but that was with herring. Are herring still prohibited? For stripers, I am most interested in sight fishing. If that happens in the back bays, and river inlets, I have a 17 foot center con with casting platform. I'd like to give that a shot, but where to go is a dart on the map for me. When do you think you will get out next? Is surf fishing productive yet for a half day knock the rust off?
Old 03-25-2014, 12:31 PM
Striper Hunter

well unfortunately there isn't much site casting for stripers around here. water is not clear enough.
Right now Stripers are being reported around tuckerton. They move up the Mullica in the spring- again- if you have electronics, you can spot them on your FF and then target them that way.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:32 PM
Striper Hunter

shoot- next time you are going after carp let me know I would like to get in on that action!
Old 03-27-2014, 07:49 AM
Official Member

Where do you go for carp? Haven't found a great spot yet. Caught a couple on crayfish patterns on the Delaware, but they aren't super aggressive eaters at all. I'm used to carp out west that charge your fly.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:11 AM
Striper Hunter

Chris, this is my first year targeting carp. There is a place near me called Cooper River that has literally hundreds of them in the 36" or better range. I used to paddle as hard and as fast as I could and then coast right into their schools (on the flats) and spook them- there would be huge splashes and fish darting everywhere.
I will take my kayak in there this year for sure.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:16 AM
Official Member

Sounds awesome! Can a 17' center con fit on those flats? Works in 6 inches and has a good casting platform. We should grab a coffee or beer sometime to compare notes.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:24 AM
Official Member

I know the Cooper river... Just took me a minute to place it. Never even thought of fishing it.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:05 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfishchris View Post
I know the Cooper river... Just took me a minute to place it. Never even thought of fishing it.
Supposedly there are musky in there too. I may fish it this year- kind of yucky though. but it's close.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:42 PM
Official Member

I booked a few striper trips on the Suskie Flats for next weekend, but given the river flows, temps, and river forecasts I'm guessing they'll be cancelled. It really sucks too because they would be my first striper fishing outings ever and I've been tying flies for them for months. Got bit by the saltwater bug when I went flats fishing for the first time on my honeymoon last fall in Cancun.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:58 PM
Striper Hunter

I fished the Susquehanna flats one year for a kayak fishing tournament. Bleh! Save your money. You are better off doing a jersey shore or Maryland coast type fishing charter for Stripers.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:19 PM
Official Member

I've heard plenty of bad about the Suskie Flats but I figured I'd give it a shot. Work is hell right now, and will be for the next month, so I'll be happy to be on the water with someone knowledgeable who can hopefully find some fish if the conditions are decent. Can't say you didn't warn me!

Moving forward I'd like to learn more about NY/NJ striper fisheries, just don't have the time right now.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:43 PM
Striper Hunter

by the way if you do make it out to the susky flats make sure you are barbless. MD regs state that you must be barbless right now.