Where to begin... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Boating Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boating Beginners Beginner Boating Questions and Answers

Old 02-19-2014, 09:24 AM
Official Member

Default Where to begin...

Alright yall, so I find myself filled with a million questions about our sport of striper fishing but I think ill start by saying I recently purchased a 87' Bayliner Trophy cc 18'8" boat with a 175 hp mercury black max outboard and would like opinions about how well yall think it will do for trolling and all other aspects of striper fishing. It has a few rod holders placed around the gunwale and a few on the sides of the console. I may add a bimini top with a few rocket launchers for running planer boards but I figure this 2014 season will be mainly a learning season for the basics such as live lining, jigging, trolling, etc... But overall how safe and stable do you feel this bayliner will be in the bay (Chesapeake bay is where ill be fishing)

On a secondary note I have always been primarily a small river fisherman and have very little experience out on the big water. With that being said I have always used spinning reels and loved them, however I just don't feel like they can provide near the cranking power that a bait casting reel can... not saying u cant reel in big fish just think the bait casting reels are a more suited reel for this application?
Soo... im leaning back and forth between the penn defiance reel with levelwind and the okuma convector. I know they are on the bottom of the price range n probably suffer in a few areas bc of that but I figure im better off learning on a cheaper reel so as long as they last me a few years ill have no ill regret. I like the penn simply because I believe its American made n id rather keep my money is the usa if possible... but ive read several articles that said penn went through or is going through a severe quality control issue so a lot of guys have said the Japanese made okuma is a nice reel. I basically wanted to find a reel that was capable of carrying 300+ feet of 40 lb mono line and offered a lever drag system. so any other suggestions yall may have that wont break the bank shoot em my way please. As far as rod preference Im thinking a 6'6"-7' rod but have no preference on a name othere then ive saw the name st crioux a lot...? I plan on running around three to four lines at one time on the boat so this is a pretty big initial cost...im figuring around $6-700 is what ill be spending on rods, reels, and gear.

Sorry this is so long winded but I guarantee I could go on with questions for several more pages
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 08:08 AM

Default Re: Where to begin...

Hi there and welcome aboard! I'm not the guy to answer your boat questions, but I used to have an Okuma Convector reel, so I can give you a bit of a review on that. I had one of the larger sizes that I spooled with wire line for trolling. It was very smooth cranking and the drag was pretty good, too. Overall I really liked the reel. The exposed metal parts seemed to be prone to corrosion from the salt water if not rinsed off pretty soon after fishing, but not something that affected performance. I sold mine after I sold my boat and had no more use for such a large trolling reel.

St. Croix makes great rods, and I have a couple of them. There are a lot of other really nice rods out there as well, so shop around and check out your local tackle shops. Just make sure that whatever rod you pick is rated for the line test you plan to use. It's a lot easier to get by with a budget rod for trolling than for surfcasting, in my opinion, so I personally wouldn't hesitate to go with a cheaper rod and put the savings toward other gear that I'm sure you'll find necessary.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:40 PM
Striper Hunter

Make friends with tackle shop guys near the locations where you will fish. Hang out and listen. They are the local experts - and they will treat you right. As for rod holders - do not expect to pull rods from a bimini - you can pull them from a T-Top but expect that type of structure t be pretty spendy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2014, 10:55 PM
Official Member

thanks guys really appreciate the advise. I have one okuma convector on the way so far. its definitely gonna be a looong learning experience, but with time ill master the art. learning about the correct hook sizes and rigging styles is a bit overwhelming such as a three way swivel setups, etc... which hook to use on a live shad bait vs. a live eel.... any light anyone can shed for me id greatly appreciate that as well?

on a side note I ran my bayliner today for the first time in 45* weather on a local river just to see how she performs n overall im very pleased so ill be saving money I had alowed for shop time and investing in more gear!
Old 06-12-2014, 07:15 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid A$$ets View Post
Alright yall, so I find myself filled with a million questions about our sport of striper fishing but I think ill start by saying I recently purchased a 87' Bayliner Trophy cc 18'8" boat with a 175 hp mercury black max outboard and would like opinions about how well yall think it will do for trolling and all other aspects of striper fishing. It has a few rod holders placed around the gunwale and a few on the sides of the console. I may add a bimini top with a few rocket launchers for running planer boards but I figure this 2014 season will be mainly a learning season for the basics such as live lining, jigging, trolling, etc... But overall how safe and stable do you feel this bayliner will be in the bay (Chesapeake bay is where ill be fishing)

On a secondary note I have always been primarily a small river fisherman and have very little experience out on the big water. With that being said I have always used spinning reels and loved them, however I just don't feel like they can provide near the cranking power that a bait casting reel can... not saying u cant reel in big fish just think the bait casting reels are a more suited reel for this application?
Soo... im leaning back and forth between the penn defiance reel with levelwind and the okuma convector. I know they are on the bottom of the price range n probably suffer in a few areas bc of that but I figure im better off learning on a cheaper reel so as long as they last me a few years ill have no ill regret. I like the penn simply because I believe its American made n id rather keep my money is the usa if possible... but ive read several articles that said penn went through or is going through a severe quality control issue so a lot of guys have said the Japanese made okuma is a nice reel. I basically wanted to find a reel that was capable of carrying 300+ feet of 40 lb mono line and offered a lever drag system. so any other suggestions yall may have that wont break the bank shoot em my way please. As far as rod preference Im thinking a 6'6"-7' rod but have no preference on a name othere then ive saw the name st crioux a lot...? I plan on running around three to four lines at one time on the boat so this is a pretty big initial cost...im figuring around $6-700 is what ill be spending on rods, reels, and gear.

Sorry this is so long winded but I guarantee I could go on with questions for several more pages

Not sure cheaper is a good idea when it comes to reels. I have had quite a few that have had problems after 1 season, and unless you work on them yourself, it will cost you half as much to fix it as it did originally. You may be better off just buying quality to start with.