Merrimack River Striper Poachers - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Striper Information & Services > The Gallows - Poachers Hall of Shame
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Gallows - Poachers Hall of Shame Poachers are exposed here. Federal wildlife officers association links to all poacher hotlines in the U.S.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Official Member

Default Merrimack River Striper Poachers

I've fished the mouth of the Merrimack for years but never before on a weekend...and never again. There must have been 100 boats drifting and anchored up, making the mouth a lot more dangerous, but that's not the worst of it. I witnessed at least a half dozen guys from as many boats keeping shorts (20-25") and am pissed off. I don't really know what can be done about it, less a fist fight and jail time (not an option). But with so many people out there how can these "sportmen" be stopped?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 12:11 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: Merrimack River Striper Poachers

It's why I dont fish weekends of days... when the fishing is easy... it attracts crowds...
Old 06-25-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groton Mike View Post
I don't really know what can be done about it, less a fist fight and jail time (not an option). But with so many people out there how can these "sportmen" be stopped?
When I see this sort of thing, I call them in immediately with a description of the boat and the numbers. The reporting number is stored in my phone. Too many people just look the other way when they see it happening. If more people would actually pick up the phone and make the call instead of just complaining about it later, something might actually be done. No need to take things into your own hands, just make the call to the people who's job it is to deal with the problem. It's not that hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 01:15 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF View Post
When I see this sort of thing, I call them in immediately with a description of the boat and the numbers. The reporting number is stored in my phone. Too many people just look the other way when they see it happening. If more people would actually pick up the phone and make the call instead of just complaining about it later, something might actually be done. No need to take things into your own hands, just make the call to the people who's job it is to deal with the problem. It's not that hard.
Well said!

-Scott
Old 07-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF View Post
Ditto, ditto. I'm not from here in Maine but am staying the summer and watched a couple weeks ago as a lady caught and killed what appeared to be a 14-16" striper. Couldn't believe it but there she was doing it. She was casting from shore into the Mousam River and being a 'resident' (own a house here on the Mousam), I'm ticked at her. Also asked someone about the clamming she does as I thought there was a season for that??? She's in there with shovel all the time at low tide and just going at it. I now have the number on my cell and will call when I see her again.