Outboard Electric, Ray vs Torqeedo, or other? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance Tips and discussion on Boat parts/boat maintenance.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Official Member

Default Outboard Electric, Ray vs Torqeedo, or other?

I have an 18' Lowe with an old, old, 48V Electric outboard that is gasping for air.
I can have it overhauled (not sure of cost yet), but I'm considering replacement.
I'm looking at either the Ray or Torqeedo 48V as the replacement. Steering is wheel/console, and would like to keep that, although remote would be cool.
Does anyone have experience with either that could offer words of wisdom.
I don't know if the newer motors have better efficiency.
Thanks in advance.
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Outboard Electric, Ray vs Torqeedo, or other?

I bought a Torqeedo Travel 1003 and used it on my 15' sailboat all last year for getting through areas diffficult to navigate under sail. I have been very happy with it. Good power and range, lives up to the ads and videos on the Torqeedo website.

Unfortunately, my wife made me get a bigger boat (22' long and about 2500 lbs displacement), and I'm going to need more power and range than I can get from the Torqeedo. Its part number 455354 at defender.com... I'd sell mine for 1/2 the price of new. $900 + shipping. Let me know if you are interested...