bottom painting - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance Tips and discussion on Boat parts/boat maintenance.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:34 AM
Official Member

Default bottom painting

I have recientlyt sanded 20 yrs of paint off ny boat to the original white.... Do I need to prime coat 1st before painting with antifouling pait.. Is there a certain process that I need to do now that i sanded all the bottom paint off???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2011, 12:05 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: bottom painting

you could fire some barrier coat on her.. if you had the time.. but for 20 year old boat i wouldn't bother.. a 2 year old boat, sure...

just wipe her down with some solvent.. using the 2 rag technique.. one wet.. one dry... then go with a nice ablative paint so you won't get buildup...
Old 05-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Official Member

Default Re: bottom painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkeane View Post
you could fire some barrier coat on her.. if you had the time.. but for 20 year old boat i wouldn't bother.. a 2 year old boat, sure...

just wipe her down with some solvent.. using the 2 rag technique.. one wet.. one dry... then go with a nice ablative paint so you won't get buildup...
Good advice there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 10:20 PM

Talking Re: bottom painting

I don't know. If the boat stays in the water all the time I would put some barrier coat on it, but if you are leaving it on a trailer it will dry out between trips. Back 20 years ago, they didn't use the IsoThalic or the Vinlyester resins, and they were really prone to blistering. I have a hull that's a 91 and we just brought it down to the fiberglass and fixed a ton of de-lamination with Vinylester resin and then did an interlux barrier coat (interprotect) and then did the final coat in blue and red. We wet sanded it, the parts that are darker are just wet from the sanding, but it looks all uniform now that we put it in the water. Check out the pics: