Broadheads - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Around The Woodstove > Hunting / Game
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hunting / Game Big game, Upland game and Water fowl forums Wildlife management, Equipment, Dogs, Calls, Firearms

Old 05-18-2010, 06:00 PM
Striper Hunter - Call_me_Ishmael

Default Broadheads

Ok well just got into bow hunting last season and was wondering if anyone had an opinion of the Rage broad heads vs the G5 Tekkens? Both look pretty awesome but which design works better? The other option I've considered is Wasp, which are manufactured a few miles away, but have a great reputation.
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010, 07:02 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Broadheads

Second year for me as well..but i talked to ALOT of people and heres what i found...

Rage expandables have potential...the problem with them is premature opening. Ex. The blades are prone to expanding before impact, this basically gives the arrows "wings" and steers it completley off target. Most guys solve this with a very lightweight rubberband. On the plus side you have 2" of cutting diameter... Last year some guy told me he had a deer lined up quartering towards him and upon release of his arrow the deer jumped and he nailed the deer in front of the hind leg, it was such a massive wound it didn't even go 100yds before it blead to death...

As for the G5, i can't comment on.

My personal reccomendation would be slicktrick broad heads, 1" cutting diameter, but the msot important thing... They are one of the most accurate broadheads on the market, which to me is more important than the cutting...

One last tip (you may already use this), when sighting in your bow w/ feild tips, make sure to buy the tips that weigh the same amount as your broadhead, it will save you many headaches...Good luck, hope this helps.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Striper Hunter - Call_me_Ishmael

Thanks, did not know that about the rage opening early. Currently shooting 100 grain field points so that shouldn't be a problem to match up with broadheads.
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2010, 03:43 PM
First Mate

I think the normal rage are 100g. I know with slicktrik there are 7/8" and 1" 100g blades and then there are 1" and 1 1/8" magnums. The magnums are 125g, but i'm not to sure about the rage and the weights of all of them. But you get the point...As for the elastics with the rage, they use the very very small elastics orthodontists use for braces. They slip right over the point and hold the blades in enough so that on impact they easily cut through the elastic. Something to consider...

Especially if you are hunting in a dense area with a lot of brush because if those things hit a leaf they have the tendency to open early. Hope this helps, once again.