Montauk/Amagansett trip help - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New York
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New York New York Bight - Raritan Bay - North and South Shore - Eastern Long Island -Captree - Shinnecock - Moriches - Montauk - Jamaica Bay - Staten Island - Western Sound - Long Island Sound The Hudson River

Old 08-04-2014, 11:17 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Montauk/Amagansett trip help

Hi,

So I am a big striper fisherman up here in Boston/South shore area.. I spend alot of time live lining macks/ live eels/ clams/ bunker/ herring -- and definitely consider myself a (relatively) experienced fisherman so not looking for a "fishing 101" response.

Anyways, my lady's family has a place in Amagansett, NY which from what I recall (havent been in 5 years) is between Montauk and East Hampton.. they have a beach cottage right on Napeague Bay right near the Harbor entrance.

I have seen folks surfcasting from the beach and have tried over the years to catch some stripers without much luck, I've mostly just tried some pencil poppers/swimmers etc without alot of luck but admittingly it was definitely a half-assed attempt.

This year I want to be the trip I catch some fish, I am bringing down my 10' surfcasters and can fish all night since I "volunteered" to sleep in a tent on the back deck so i can sneak down and fish all night...brilliant!

Anyways I've attached an image that may help - can anyone show me areas of interest? If you need more perspective I would say just google "Napeague harbor" - we are right at the mouth of the harbor and I also have a small zodiac i could jump over to Hicks Island Goff point..

Any help is much appreciated.. looking for any ides on where to try different baits at what tides etc... I would guess that trying outgoing/incoming would be best to cast into some eddys

Anyways, Is anyone familiar with this area? what is best to use? I was going to rig up some fish finder rigs with some clams and then use a lighter setup with some plugs as the current isnt that wide and I can easily cast across the harbor opening..
For anyone interested -- here is a map.. Basically the house is situated way to the left, where the Napeague harbor opens up into Napeague bay...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Map.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	21465  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2014, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Montauk/Amagansett trip help

That looks like a location ripe with opportunity! Try approaching it as the tide is just starting to change, both at the start of the incoming and the start of the outgoing, and see which gives you the best results.

Since it sounds like you'll be able to cast well into the current, I'd be sure to have a darter or two in my bag, as well as some bucktails. Top water swimmers would also definitely be in my bag.

Nice job on scoring the tent accommodations, lol!
Old 09-15-2014, 07:04 PM
Striped nut

Default Re: Montauk/Amagansett trip help

Sorry that I saw this late but were you able to find any fish? Stayed there about 5 years ago and there are lots of cocktail blues around dawn and dusk. Fall brings Alvie's I have heard.