New Boat Owner seeking Fishing Advice - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Boating Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boating Beginners Beginner Boating Questions and Answers

Old 06-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Official Member

Thumbs up New Boat Owner seeking Fishing Advice

I just bought a 16’ center console whaler, small I know but a great first boat. I have been surfcasting for about 10 years but this is now a whole new ballgame. I am looking forward to bait casting/trolling/jigging, you name it.

I’m looking for any and all advice as to what I need (i.e. rod/reel types/strength, downrigger, umbrella rigs, size/color/type plugs?) as well as info on patterns (i.e. tides, temperatures, telltale signs, geographic/specific spots and locations).

I bought the boat to go out for Stripers, Blues, Fluke and Flounder but wouldn’t be opposed to making a day out of Cod and Haddock – How far offshore need I be? I know of a couple “honey holes” but realistically how far offshore do I need to be to get a bite?

Also, (more specific questions! Sorry!) How do I find Mackerel/Pogies/Shad? I have plenty of Sebiki rigs and jigs, is it all dependent on following the birds or are there certain spots/patterns to be aware of?

I am from MA North Shore and will be mooring my boat in the Plum Island basin.

Any advice helps,

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2012, 07:58 AM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Default Re: New Boat Owner seeking Fishing Advice

Welcome aboard J.
Congratulations on your new boat but keep in mind its a Bay Boat. Unless your the next Trent Barta stay inshore and be safe. Just 'cause you can't sink it doesn't mean you can't Flip it. Besides your safety equipment all you need is a VHF and GPS/Sonar which i'm sure you have. Information on specific gear you will need to use the search Tab above, all these questions have been answered before by someone at some point. Don't stack your plate, stick with what's running in your area. If your not sure about something you've read and need an explanation we'll be happy to chime in.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:34 AM
First Mate

Default Re: New Boat Owner seeking Fishing Advice

for boats 7' rods are what you want for casting. 8' can be done too but 7' will get you plenty of distance. For trolling my suggestion is to get Shimano TLD 15s and spool them with 65lb powerpro with a topshot leader. A 6-6.5 roller tip boat rod works well here.

The TLDs serve as a good bottom rig as well but that 16' boat can only venture so far. If you go more than 3 miles on a FAC day good luck! That's as far as I would venture. Again, flat ass calm being the words of caution. You know the mouth of the mac changes conditions on the tide change and boaters out there are STUPID.

If you want to catch macs you can go three miles due east of the mac, or just north of the mouth. But it better be false dawn when you do. Any other time its a wasted trip and it will be slim pickins. Once the pollack hatch occurs the pollack will take the sibiki rigs but pollack is a waste for striper. Once you get livies you can anchor up and liveline off the mouth to one side of the other. Boat traffic will determine whether you stay or run for the river.

There's flounder outside the mouth as well. Your boat can get to places other boats can't. So that will help you get out of the way from the bigger boats that will sink/flood your ass.

My suggestion is to be the first one out in the morning and the first one back in the morning. Once you get around 10AM your putting your life in your own hands and frankly fishing is pretty much on the swift decline.

Once the blues show up and they will show up (early this year) they'l be in thick off the shore along PI my suggestion is to troll ~7" orange swimming plugs that swim 4'-5' below the surface. IMO, Orange is their favorite color. I give you this info in hopes you'll catch every damn bluefish out there. I don't care if throw them all in the dumpster either;^> I hate the damn fish.

Once we're into july fishing during the day is IMO a waste of time. Just sayin.

Your boat, though very nice, is small. Take caution around the mouth because there's too many idiots out there and no one cares about whether you sink or not. Trust, just because its a whaler doesn't mean you can't die. That river takes a life every year and sometimes more.

For what its worth, once June passes, cod and haddock are out past half way hump... That's 10 miles. Too far for your boat.