Help me design by boat! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance Tips and discussion on Boat parts/boat maintenance.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Help me design my boat!

I am converting a 1988 Bayliner Capri 1700 into a center console fishing machine. Basically, the only thing I am saving on this boat is the hull, which is in fairly good shape. Everything else, including stringers and transom, is being replaced. I am installing a front deck section that will extend about a foot past where the dual consoles used to be. This will be framed out and fiberglassed to the hull and should ensure hull stability. I am also adding a couple other design elements to improve the overall structure of the boat, which will be primarily used for walleye and trout on some of the larger lakes in upstate New York and stripers in the Hudson River.

Anybody have any suggestions on what features and design elements I should include in the new boat to help make it a fishing machine, especially the little things I might overlook?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2010, 09:36 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: Help me design by boat!

Youre taking on a big undertaking unless you are contracting the work out...

Rebuilding/designing a boat from the ground up is a personal undertaking, I put a new deck in mine last season after 30 years of service...

Be sure to check the fuel cell, you may want to install a new one, when you re- deck, be sure to leave an acess panel that is screwed down so you can do periodic inspections...

when you run your electrical conduit, light weight drain pipe makes a great conduit, dont skimp on space, you'll be surprised how much a 3 or 4" conduit can "shrink" when you start filling it with wires...

When you get to the electrical system, I highly recomend a 3 switch, two battery system with a ACR( automatic charging relay) in line, if you have the $$$$ I recomend AGM batteries, they are expensive but charge faster than conventional flooded batteries and can be mounted in any position, they also are totaly maintenance free and give off very little fumes/gas while cycling...
I could go on for hours, but you need to make the boat your own, keep us up dated on the progress, take some pictures and document your process.. it may help others in the future...

good luck
Roc
Old 05-14-2010, 05:08 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Sounds like a labor of love. I agree with Roc on the fuel cell. Particularly with the high ethanol content in todays fuel you can be asking for trouble down the road if you don't replace. Have fun with it.
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Help me design my boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayak2fish View Post
I am converting a 1988 Bayliner Capri 1700 into a center console fishing machine. Basically, the only thing I am saving on this boat is the hull, which is in fairly good shape. Everything else, including stringers and transom, is being replaced. I am installing a front deck section that will extend about a foot past where the dual consoles used to be. This will be framed out and fiberglassed to the hull and should ensure hull stability. I am also adding a couple other design elements to improve the overall structure of the boat, which will be primarily used for walleye and trout on some of the larger lakes in upstate New York and stripers in the Hudson River.

Anybody have any suggestions on what features and design elements I should include in the new boat to help make it a fishing machine, especially the little things I might overlook?
My best advice would be to start with a different hull. Or better yet, just go out an buy a good boat and spend the time you save fishing.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:31 PM
Striper Hunter

Location: i fish in the niantic area, but sometimes we move around so normally eastern ct

sounds kool u better put pics up when u finish we gotta see the suckker when its done
Old 02-21-2012, 03:11 AM
Official Member

I am boat repair mechanic and making my own boat, I am using aluminum for its base and looking for wooden work inside it. Please suggest me some designs regarding internal design of the boat.

Last edited by JakeF; 02-23-2012 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Link removed