Beginner on Lake Cumberland, KY - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Kentucky
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 12-22-2009, 03:13 PM

Default Beginner on Lake Cumberland, KY

I just inherited a 19' bass boat ( 1996 Ranger 690vs w/ 175 Mariner) from my brother due to him having alzheimer's. I would like to learn to fish for stripers on Lake Cumberland in KY. I know that a lot of people cast for them when the shad are spawning but I am not sure when that is. I also know people troll using planer boards but I am not sure of the type of lure to use. I know live thread fin shad are the best but I have never thrown a cast net and I do not know how to locate the shad when they are on top of the water so they can be caught. I have planer boards and down riggers and the boat is equipped with a 9.9 hp kicker engine for trolling. My brother fished a LOT. all of his life but unfortunately I never got to fish with him. I have a very nice fishing rig I just need some initial guidance. Any info will be greatly appreciated. If anyone knows of books or videos on striper fishing that would be appreciated also. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2010, 05:57 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Beginner on Lake Cumberland, KY

If you get a chance email me your phone number and a good time to call. I fish lake cumberland all the time. I should be able to get you started in the right direction.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:39 PM
Fishbrain

Greetings,
Would you be willing to help me as well? I too am pretty much a beginner to stripers. I have caught a few and their fight places them high on my extensive 5-10yr "bucket list". I've fished for stripers & hybrids only twice in my home state of Florida. I will be in the Barren Lake/Cumberland Lake & River area of Ky between 5/15 to 5/21/10 and would like fast action. It doesn’t matter whether they’re hybrids or pure stripers. Size is less important. Which do you recommend? I like using light spinning tackle( 10 & 20 lb braid). My boat is a modest 16' aluminum V bottom w/o a live well.

I generally prefer using lures. I would bring with me swim baits, jerk baits, jigs, Gulp eels, & spinnerbaits.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice, as to specifically where and how to maximize my chances. Any website info would also be appreciated. Thanks, Fishbrain. email- [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Striper Hunter

Two of the best times of the year are the spring and fall. The stripers will be going up the creek arms to spawn in the spring, and to feed on shad in the fall. These are the only times of the year I fish for stripers on Lake Cumberland. Casting the banks at night will get you a few. Crankbaits both deep and shallow will work. I like to throw Gizz 4's. They look just like a gizzard shad. In the spring, the stripers will hit a surface lure like a redfin. Just slow wake it to make a nice "V" wake and hold on. From what I hear, the surface bite has been off this year maybe because of the lake being lowered for an extensive amount of time so the Corp of Engineers can work on the dam. I don't know. Subsuface lures are catching fish though. If you hear a sound like someone did a canon ball off one of the cliffs, you are in the right place.