catchin shad ? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:08 PM

Default catchin shad ?

Howdy all.
I'm gonna be makin my first freshwater Striper trip on the 21st
at Smith Mtn Lake, Va. and was wondering if anyone could give me
some info on good locations to find shad such as flats, docks, etc.

I have a 8ft cast net and can usually throw it in a somewhat
round shape, just not sure where to throw it. Really enjoyed the
live bait thread and learned a few things to. Any help would be
greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2007, 09:14 PM

Default Re: catchin shad ?

Here at Lake Cumberland we put out lights and them come to the lights at about 5:00 am. The thread fin shad are the ones you ususally get from this .The shad are drawn to the light and you can throw on them. I can put a light out at a boat slip in the marina and usually have plenty of bait for several fishermen! If we want alewives we have to go out into deeper water and put out a light and let our net sink to around 65 feet. You also have to get up alot earlier to get the alewives! I don't know if this will help you at that lake, but thought I'd just throw it out there. Good luck!
Old 04-11-2007, 12:04 AM

Default Re: catchin shad ?

If that doesn't work, or if you need to catch bait during the day, go to shallow mud flats in the back of the creeks. Usually the shad will be doing some tail flips to let you know where they are. Also, boat launch ramps or algae covered rocks can be good at time for gizzard shad.