1337's Fishing Log - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 07-08-2005, 08:29 PM

Thanx Mike, haven't heard from you in a while. Next time I go there I'll be sure to bring the camera and I'm pretty sure that there are much larger bass in there if the average size I was catching was around 4 lbs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2005, 08:34 PM

ya, i was on vacation last week, and am going on a smallmouth fishing trip sun. for a week so i wont be around much.

If thats ur avg. i gotta go fishin wit u!!!
Old 07-08-2005, 08:38 PM

Well I just got my license today! :cheer:

So one of these days we're gonna have to go LB fishing and you could show me some SM spots. :wtg:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2005, 08:43 PM

ya anytime. just let me no
Old 07-15-2005, 01:46 AM

July 13, 2005-John Doe Lake
Internet has been down for five days now. I called Comcast every single day about the problem and they finally fixed it. So, where was I?? Oh yeah, I went to Dicks Sporting Goods the day before to restock on soft plastics. They had some of those Kreatures from Gary Yamamoto so I decided to buy them and grabbed a pack of Yum Wooly Hawgtails as well. After I made my purchase and looked at the receipt I was shocked at the price for those kreatures, $6.00! I said to myself that these bettter be worth it. The next day I went to the lake with my bro and some friends. We got there around 4:00 p.m, rigged up the kreature and worked it for a good hour casting in every single fish hiding spot possible with no luck. I switched to some crankbaits with no luck again. At this point nobody at that lake had caught anything and I was growing tired of not catching. So I switched back to my good ole Yum Wooly Hawgtail and what do you know, first cast I hooked into a bassy. It wasn't big but it was better than what every one else was catching, nattah. This fish had swallowed the hook and I tried for ever to get it free. The more I tried the deeper he swallowed it. It got to the point where the fish began to bleed everywhere and the hook was literally impossible to get out. So I did what I never had to do before, I cut the line and left the hook in its mouth. This kinda ruined my day cause that is one thing that I never wanted to do with a fish that I caught. After that I continued fishing the same spot. It was now 7:30 and I was the only one out of my brother and friends who had caught anything so they were just about ready to head out. Suddenly I felt some weird bites that I had never felt before. After the third bite I set the hook and my drag began screeming. I seriously though that I had hooked into the NJ record largemouth. This guy was giving one heck of a fight. I finally got him near the bank. As he became more visible to me I realized that this was no fish. I took him out of the water and onto land. It was a giant snapping turtle! This guy was extremely angry and smelled like a**! The hook had caught him between his leg and his head. As I went to place my foot on top of its shell it began snapping into my shoe with the force of a human punch. My brother grabbed a branch that was a good 3" thick and put it into the turtle's mouth so I could try and get the hook out. When he put the branch in the turtle's mouth it snapped it in half like a toothpick and began making a hissing sound similar to a snake or cat. This guy was huge, strong, and very angry. I was trying to get him back in the water as soon as possible to prevent any further harm. My bro grabbed a thicker branch but the turtle just snapped it again. I had to make a decision, either I risk getting my fingers chomped and try to take out the hook or cut the line and leave the hook in. Once again I had to do what I never wanted to do, I cut the line and left the hook in him. He wobbled his way back into the water. After that, I felt like such a ass for leaving the hook in him. I was fishing with 10lb test and was suprised that the trutle didn't snap it. I didn't want to weigh him but he had to be well over 10lbs. After that I didn't fish for the rest of the day and just watched my bro and friends. Not to long after I realeased the turtle i saw him popping his head out of the water and swimming around, so that was a good sign I guess. I left that day feeling miserable cause I had left a hook in a fish and another in a freakin turtle. I just hope that the bassy and turtle will be "A" OK! :cry:

BTW do you guys know what the chances of survival are for a fish if you leave the hook in their mouth?? What about that turtle?? :hmph:
Old 07-15-2005, 02:04 AM

Leet see this thread. https://stripers247.com/phpBB2/viewto...?p=23804#23804

Snappers can be grabbed by the tail. They can extend the head some but not back to bite. My advice is to leave em alone. :cry:
Old 07-15-2005, 02:20 AM

Thanx Jim. If I read correctly it's best to leave some line. That's what I'll do next time with the bassy. I still feel bad about the turtle and bassy.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:21 PM

Don't worry leet, the fish will regurgiatet the hook, or it will fall out, or it will rust in a week's time. I've had to do it plenty of times.

I've caught my fair share of snappers. We live next to a swamp and one year, 2 snappers laid there eggs in my mom's garden! Hahaha! They were so cutte when they hatched though.

Sounds like a learning experience
Old 09-11-2005, 09:37 AM

Here's some pics of the average size bass that I catch in this lake.

Old 09-11-2005, 07:31 PM

Thats a nice fish there leet!

Some nice pictures too.

IS THAT YOUR NEW REEL LYING IN THE SAND? TISK TISK. Hehe

I've seen too many nice reels get ruined by a careless drop in the sand. Gasp.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkevvy
IS THAT YOUR NEW REEL LYING IN THE SAND? TISK TISK. Hehe
Yup that's it. An amateur move on my part.

There was another guy fishing next to me and he told me that he fishes tournaments at that lake and the funny thing is that he was catching minnows while I was pulling out hawgs!

Oh yeah, the very first fish that I caught at that lake was twice as big as the one that I'm holding (aka 6 pounder).
Old 09-12-2005, 04:34 PM

Damn leet, you gots some learning to do. lol.

6 pounds is a nice fish, I caught a 6.5 pounder about 2 weeks ago, my stupid brother, who is majoring in Photojournalism, brought his camera with about 1 grand of stuff on it, (lenses, flash, etc) and he only brought 1 roll of film.. that had 3 exposures left. Ha. So he ran out of film before he could take a pic. I was mad. But I was just happy I caugth such a nice fish, this thing took me about 10 minutes to bring in, and I revived him and let him go to b caught another day :)
Old 09-13-2005, 01:24 AM

September 10, 2005

I forgot to mention this. Saturday night I went riding at some skatepark at around 9:00 p.m. I went to do a 360 transfer and I was going way to fast and over rotated. I ended doing a 360 on my ankle and couldn't go to the ER till the next day cause my parents were in Atlantic City. It sucked cause I couldn't put any pressure on the foot at all so I had to crawl and hop around my 3 story home! That whole night I couldn't sleep and the pain was a 8iatch! So, the following day we went to the ER which surprisingly the wait was only one hour compared to my previous waits of 6 hours! They took some x-rays and it turns out I just sprained my ankle and the doc told me that it would take a minimum of 6 weeks to heal. He gave me brand new crutches and I went on my way. So, I have to crutch my way around school and work, I can't drive my brand new car that I just got since it's manual, can't go riding, and most importantly I can't go to my fishin spots for a good month and a half. 2.gif

Old 09-13-2005, 01:39 AM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Ah dood that sucks. Sorry ta hear bout tha accident.

Nice pics

Old 09-13-2005, 08:46 AM

That sucks bro! I hope it heals quickly. I tore 4 ligaments in my ankle a year ago playing basketball and it still really stiff. Take it easy so you don't reinjure it and you should be back in the game in no time.