Fresh Monofiliment - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:25 AM
First Mate

Default Fresh Monofiliment

How do you know if the school of monofilament that you're about to purchase is fresh or not?

You can read the date code on berkley and stren spools of line. The code is listed in very small print directly below the diameter of the line. It is displayed in a 4 dash sequence.

Example: C - 4 - 10 - 1 Date of MFG: March 4th, 2010 First shift

The letter C represents the month it was manufactured. In this case March. The number 4 represents the day of the month it was made. The number 10 signifies the year in which it was manufactured. The last number signifies the shift in which it was produced. The last digit may be displayed as a 21 or 31 and we are assuming this is 2 shifts overlapping or something along those lines. This information came directly from calling the 1-800 number on berkleys website and was given by the rep that answered the phone.

Kb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 09:34 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Fresh Monofiliment

Double post
Old 10-04-2012, 09:37 AM
First Mate

Very cool. Thanks for the tip!!!
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 08:38 PM
Official Member

Sorry if this is a dumb question, as I'm new to this. What difference does the "freshness" make for mono?

Thanks
Old 11-05-2012, 07:39 AM

For one thing, older mono gets brittle and breaks more easily.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:59 PM
Official Member

Right on Jake ! I've performed many tests with a good scale to see breakage points in mono, & found that old opaque mono rated at #15 pd broke at between12-15 pds...Where as fresh or new mono broke at22=23 1/2pds . This was as long as you wet mono before you pull tight Broke same as old mono....You can seee the whitest color & curl in mono knots....Jim
Old 02-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Morris Cove

I like to do my own tests, i put on 20 lb and hook a 21 lb fish, if it snaps i get to blame it on freshness. Lol.. Ive used the oldest yard sale mono and landed monsters. While using line a week old snapping it off on undersized fish. Luck n line should be the post title. Bad knot, abrasive swivel, trebble burn, who really knows.. Ive seen shops with new line on big spools become brittle from sitting in store windows in the sun, or stored hot.dates not always issue its environment. 20 years with a reel cover produced great line for me once.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:39 PM
Striper Hunter

Question Re: Fresh Monofiliment

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb View Post
How do you know if the school of monofilament that you're about to purchase is fresh or not?

You can read the date code on berkley and stren spools of line. The code is listed in very small print directly below the diameter of the line. It is displayed in a 4 dash sequence.

Example: C - 4 - 10 - 1 Date of MFG: March 4th, 2010 First shift

The letter C represents the month it was manufactured. In this case March. .....

Kb
"A" it is January etc..?
Thank you
Old 02-07-2013, 10:11 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorjim View Post
Right on Jake ! I've performed many tests with a good scale to see breakage points in mono, & found that old opaque mono rated at #15 pd broke at between12-15 pds...Where as fresh or new mono broke at22=23 1/2pds . This was as long as you wet mono before you pull tight Broke same as old mono....You can seee the whitest color & curl in mono knots....Jim
Guys, I've tested a lot of lines and results are very inconsistent. If you made even 3 tests of mono on the same spool (old or fresh), results could be different. More: no any guarantee that whole line on the spool has the same strength through whole length. Don't forget to soak line in the water over hour before the test - strength could be decreased significantly. I've been very upset about that matter and discussed it with many seasoned fisherman. Main opinion is: forget about numbers. Some companies are staying behind their product. Another - are opposite. Yes, a fresh line usually is better but not always.
So, adjust drug on yours reel to 1/3 of pointed strength and enjoy fighting! You could lend a monster on 6lb line. Just raise your skill and be patient.
Good luck!
Old 02-08-2013, 09:08 AM
Wellcraft V20 w/ 150HP OceanRunner

Smile Re: Fresh Monofiliment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ING View Post
Guys, I've tested a lot of lines and results are very inconsistent. If you made even 3 tests of mono on the same spool (old or fresh), results could be different. More: no any guarantee that whole line on the spool has the same strength through whole length. Don't forget to soak line in the water over hour before the test - strength could be decreased significantly. I've been very upset about that matter and discussed it with many seasoned fisherman. Main opinion is: forget about numbers. Some companies are staying behind their product. Another - are opposite. Yes, a fresh line usually is better but not always.
So, adjust drug on yours reel to 1/3 of pointed strength and enjoy fighting! You could lend a monster on 6lb line. Just raise your skill and be patient.
Good luck!
I could not agree more with this. Imagine, hooking the catch of a lifetime, and losing the fish, because the line broke. Not a fun thing (don't ask how I know this). Always keep the freshest line (changing every season) and set your drag properly. It will make all the difference.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:32 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
I could not agree more with this. Imagine, hooking the catch of a lifetime, and losing the fish, because the line broke. Not a fun thing (don't ask how I know this). Always keep the freshest line (changing every season) and set your drag properly. It will make all the difference.
In main cases fish of life lost because angler inpatient or too stiff rod, or wrong drag adjustment, or line has been cut by rocks, concrete, mussels etc., or just not enough experience, or all above, but when it happens he is blaming everybody and everything including "old line" except himself. I already mentioned that fresh line is preferable for making you calm but IMHO not as necessary as you suppose.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:58 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
you must not fish very often...change line every season?i fish 4-5 nights a week and change my line once a week...of course use good quality line,check for nicks after every cast (i fish bait on the beach).and setting the drag at 1/3 will only result in lost fish unless your fishing light.if you have full confidence in your line you can tighten up that drag...quality line and knowing how to tie the right knots are more important than any other component in your arsenal...good line means confidence when battling big fish without every having a breakoff.

Last edited by relentless pursuit; 02-09-2013 at 05:00 PM. Reason: mispelled word
Old 02-10-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentless pursuit View Post
you must not fish very often...change line every season?i fish 4-5 nights a week and change my line once a week...of course use good quality line,check for nicks after every cast (i fish bait on the beach).and setting the drag at 1/3 will only result in lost fish unless your fishing light.if you have full confidence in your line you can tighten up that drag...quality line and knowing how to tie the right knots are more important than any other component in your arsenal...good line means confidence when battling big fish without every having a breakoff.
Just to keep the record straight, I have not fished as often as you do (4-5 days in one week). I haven't fished like that for 15 years (but I used to). I have been fishing, not only for stripers, for over 50 years, from the beach and from my boats (I prefer beach). There have been times when I have spooled fresh line onto my reels, and have had it snap while tying on a swivel. Just happens sometimes. When it does, the whole spool goes to recycling. I always test my line strenght with my scale, before using it on any particular day. It takes 2 minutes of your time and saves a lot of frustration. I truly can say I have fished all over the world and the same holds true anywhere. An ounce of prevention = a pound of cure. Check your line before use and set your drag appropriately, and you will be a happy camper. I have landed a 165 lb Marlin on a 40 lb test mono, that I know for a fact was old. A lot has to do with how you handle the fish coming in. PATIENCE and knowledge comes with time. The more time you put in, the better you will become. Take this for what it is worth to you.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Official Member

I use Trilene big game,like i said always fresh. i have experimented with every brand over the years and have always come back to Trilene.even gave braid a chance and found no advantage on the beach,just cut up fingers(i fish conventional).as far as line breaking at or near the knot,most times it is not the line it is the knot. most fisherman are using some version of the clinch knot either because its easy or instructions came with the line they purchased.in my opinion backed by over 35 years of fishing any knot where the last couple of inches of the main line is compromised by 7or 8 turns and then pulling on the tag end is where breaking strength is so severly reduced.any version of the clinch knot,even tied wet is a knot that should not be taught or publicized.if you are not convinced go ahead and tie it,and with just the naked eye you can see that you squeezed the most important part of your main line down to about half its breaking strength,thats only what you can see.put it under a microscope and youll also see all the fraying.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentless pursuit View Post
I use Trilene big game,like i said always fresh. i have experimented with every brand over the years and have always come back to Trilene.even gave braid a chance and found no advantage on the beach,just cut up fingers(i fish conventional).as far as line breaking at or near the knot,most times it is not the line it is the knot. most fisherman are using some version of the clinch knot either because its easy or instructions came with the line they purchased.in my opinion backed by over 35 years of fishing any knot where the last couple of inches of the main line is compromised by 7or 8 turns and then pulling on the tag end is where breaking strength is so severly reduced.any version of the clinch knot,even tied wet is a knot that should not be taught or publicized.if you are not convinced go ahead and tie it,and with just the naked eye you can see that you squeezed the most important part of your main line down to about half its breaking strength,thats only what you can see.put it under a microscope and youll also see all the fraying.
I agree. As a matter of fact, I now use only Tournament line, which MUST break at or below the stated poundage. I find it silkier, especially when on my spinning reels.