You SHOULD read this... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 06-07-2004, 02:21 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Default You SHOULD read this...

Found this on another site. It's written by a well known sports columnist, Gary Caputi...

Quote:
This is going to raise some hackles, but it's really bothering me. I've fished for stripers for a lot of years and grown a healthy respect for them. I've been involved with groups that fought to protect them so the stocks would not collapse and later, as the stocks rebounded, to try and establish reasonable access to them for anglers and keep the commercial fishing threat to a minimum. So it is with trepidation that I make the following statement, but maybe it's time for some intraspection as a community.

We have become our own worst enemy and it is us who will destroy the incredible fishery that took twenty years of sacrifice, anguish, and hard work to save and rebuild!

What the hell am I talking about? Well, what I have been seeing going on off the North Jersey coast is enough to make me really examine what is happening. The numbers of big, beautiful breader fish that are concentrated there is simply unfathomable. It used to take skill to catch a larger striped bass and when you did it was an accomplishment to be proud of. Now big striped bass, fish over 25 pounds, are simply so much meat on the dock. Kill as many as the law says you can, every time you go out, and that's that. And the one's you release, ah, just toss 'em over the side. Don't take a minute to be sure the fish is revived and has a good chance to regain it's equalibrium and swim away, but gotta get another bunker in the water to catch another bigger one right away.

Imagine charter boats with ten people aboard gaffing bass after bass so everyone could keep their three fish, even though there wasn't a slot in the bunch. There used to be a time when concerned skippers would quietly slide off the fish a little when the charter had enough meat in the box, but now it seems that you market your business by how much meat you throw on the dock. Don't you just love the terms "keepers" and "limited out"? What it tells me is we it have lost all respect for these fish and concern for the future of the fishery.

Private boat anglers are just as bad, but luckily they aren't on the water day in and day out. At least most. I know some who do manage to get out three, four, even five times a week and some of them simply can't come back to the dock without their three fish limit. And they are the first to cry about the possibility of lossing the "bonus fish program". I know guys who still think that throwing the meat on the dock proves their prowess as great anglers. So what if they hardly ever eat fish themselves, give it away. Neighbors, co-workers, gotta let them all know how good I am.

The regs say it's OK, but when you stop and think about it what has happened to the fishery. Sure it's incredible fishing. Everyone is a striper pro today. The last few spring seasons anyone with a boat, the right bait and half a brain can go out and catch a few bass that ten or fifteen years just one of would have made your day... or season for that matter! These are fish that have taken 15 or 20 years to reach those proportions and become the primary source of reproduction for the species...the future!

I'm sorry, but I can't help but feel that stripers have become nothing more than an ocean-going carp in many angler's minds, including professionals who should know better because they lived through the bad times.

What happened to that voluntary conservation ethic we were all so proud of just a few years ago. For most it went out the window with the radical availability of these fish.

I know now everyone has forgotten where this fishery was not too long ago, but collectively people have a very short memory. I know there are those among us who still care, who find it abhorent to kill more than they need and who find no need to flop a pile of dead, never to reproduce again stripers on the dock. There are even some who refuse to kill a big fish anymore and if they do want one to eat keep a small fish or even release them all. But the greed and the carelessness and the "meat fishermen" attitude is definitely coming back in a big way and with striped bass that is a crying shame. Go ahead. Tell me I'm wrong. Then read the reports, look at the pictures, stop and re-evaluate your own attitude.

There you have it. I needed to vent and more important bring something to light that many would rather ignore. So it's now open season on me. Take all the potshots you want, but think about it.

I agree. And I am disgusted at how some people abuse this privilege.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2004, 04:56 PM

Default JB

You should put the guys email up so the other side can have their say.

Most charter boat captains and even recreational guys I know of in the highlands, Briele, and Sheepshead bay where Ive fished from were all responsible caps with good mates who wouldn't dare gaff a striper. Ive seen them coach the newbies to lay them on the side so they can net em. The catch and release philosophy has taken a strong hold amongst younger and older anglers alike with a "lower mortality" conscousness the order of the day. The advent of circle hooks and nets that dont hurt a fishes slime coat are used much more than in the past. Sure there are more stripers around because of the conservation efforts, but you still have to work to catch em. and there are many irresponsible anglers everywhere not just the New Jersey fishery. I gather the guy was not a proponent of the 3rd "slot fish. He should fish the New York side and only be able to keep one fish, which most guys I know dont keep anyway. Especially those who can afford the gas money to cruise the raritan up to 5 night a week. Bad day Id say.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:08 PM

Ya,,I agree w a lot of what that article says. Hell,,me & my fishing bud NEVER!! keep ANY fish we catch,,& we fish for MANY different species. When we go fishing it's usualy from sun up to sun down,the last thing either of us wanna do is start cleaning fish when we get home!! Every where we fish though we see MOST people keeping every damn thing they catch :x ,,animals,,that's what we call em. We do an anual Salmon trip for a full week up by Lake Ontario & man "O" man,,you wanna see some ANIMALS!!!! We take pictures of the big fish we catch & let em go,,all of em!!

8)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2004, 11:13 PM

I do agree with it as well too. But I hear where Jim is coming from as well. But I dont think Gary Caputi was talkin about the respectful fisherpeople. I think the people he was referring to know who they are.

I have seen a few instances of abuse to not only the fish themselves, but the privileges, and I have no problem calling Fish & Game. I often have people ask me if I would consider them a "rat" for bagging someone, and I always tell them HELL NO. By all means, call F&G.

Old 06-15-2004, 11:10 PM

Default Hey Hob

Hey Hob How ya been.

They should be after pickerel not the stripes. The pic eat bass eggs. Thats why the bass produce hundreds of thousands.

But they have been coexisting for 4 million years before the know it alls decide to cull the herds. Boy they should sure as heck be glad man doesnt have a predater. These dopes would be the first to go :D

Nice to hear from Ya.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:48 PM

I agree with the article
I've been striper fishing twice
Never once caught one big enough. If I did I wouldnt keep it.
Imagine how much that fish has been through to get that size. For some to get 25 inches, they have been alive for 10 years or more. Fish are worth more than people think. People who keep thier limits, most of the time, dont even eat fish.
its disgusting
Old 06-20-2004, 08:47 PM

A 25" Stripered Bassy is ohhhh, I'd say about 5 years old ;)

I think I want to be a Conservation Officer. I want to really hammer people who break the fishing laws.

Old 06-20-2004, 08:50 PM

well whatever
the pint is its a fish tht has lived for awhile
Old 06-21-2004, 02:55 AM

Default How Old Is that Striper??

This is a table I came across years ago to help figure the age of a striper.I can't vouch for accuracy, just passin' on the info. I personally believe there are a lot more factors involved than just age.
Rick @
Parker's Striper Service
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/big_fish_oklahoma

How old is that Striper?

Length Age Max Avg Min Weight
12"------1yr---1.0---1.0---1.0 LB
14-------2------2.5---2.3---2.0
16-------2------3.5---3.0---2.5
18-------3------4.5---4.0---3.0
20-------3------5.5---4.8---4.0
22-------4------6.8---5.8---4.8
24-------5------8.3---7.0---6.0
26-------6-----10.0---8.5---7.0
28-------6-----12.0--10.3---8.8
30-------7-----14.0--12.3--10.3
32-------8-----16.7--14.5--12.0
34-------9-----19.0--16.5--14.0
36------10-----22.0--19.5--16.8
38------12-----25.5--22.0--19.0
40------13-----29.5--26.0--22.0
42------14-----33.5--29.7--25.0
44------15-----39.0--34.0--29.0
46------16-----44.0--38.7--32.5
48------17-----51.0--44.0--37.0
50------18-----58.0--50.0--42.0
52------19-----65.0--58.0--47.0
54------20-----73.0--64.0--52.0
Old 06-21-2004, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Bolt
A 25" Stripered Bassy is ohhhh, I'd say about 5 years old ;)

I think I want to be a Conservation Officer. I want to really hammer people who break the fishing laws.
Pretty good guess 8) ... according to the table I posted earlier you are Right On with the age being 5yrs old for a 25" fish!

Maybe you should be a Conservation Officer
Old 06-21-2004, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Maybe you should be a Conservation Officer
Funny that you should say that :) I have been doing Computer related work for about 6 years now, and I am self-taught in the field. Lots of books lol. I enjoy it, but wasnt so sure it was the thing I wanted to do in life. Well, I think I have recently come to the conclusion that being a Conservation Officer and working for Fish & Game is what I was MEANT to do in life. I really want to know what it takes to be a C.O.. I think my dream job would to be an Officer, and work strictly with Striped Bass lol. BUt I would like to protect all fish and the environment, and I would like to punish those who take advantage of our resources and privileges.

:)