sealing the thru hole - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:20 PM
chiefmurph

Default sealing the thru hole

I've just sealed a few plugs (my first) with etex and ran a pipe cleaner soaked with etex through the through hole.
My problem is that after sealing i use cut coat hangers to run through the plug and put em on the spinner. I'm sure that the coat hangers are going to seal themselves to the wood. I'm assuming I can muscle them out.
Is there another way/process to seal the holes and hook them up to the spinner and seal the rest of the plug at the same time?

BTW, read that acetone or denatured alcohol is best to clean up anything with etex on it...the alcohol worked best hands down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010, 09:03 PM
First Mate

Default Re: sealing the thru hole

I've been epoxy sealing allot following Sudsy's instructions. Sealed about 20 yesterday. I use a Popsicle stick to "spoon" the epoxy to the through hole. I also drip epoxy in the belly hook holes. Once it starts dripping out the bottom, I use a small foam brush to apply the epoxy on the plug. I let the epoxy soak in a a few minutes, and then run the 100 pcs for a dollar at Christmas Tree Shop wooden Barbecue Skewer through the through hole. Wipe it off, run it through again, and 99% of the time, I'm good.The other 1% of the time, I need to hand crank a 1/8", 12 inch long drill bit through to clean things up after the epoxy dries. Sometimes, I clean up the dried epoxy in the eye, and hook holes with a Forstner bit. I do it by hand so I don't break through. I use an old drill chuck as a holder. There again, usually, I'm good without this step, but being anal has its disadvantages.

I run a wire through the plugs when I put them on the spinner. Grab the wire with pliers, give the plug a twist and the extra epoxy should break free. When I get sloppy, I might have to spin the plug on the wire a couple revs. I've never had the wire break...yet.... but I don't reuse those pieces of wire.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:20 PM
First Mate

Exactly like Rickski said

I too after final sealing have to "muscle" the wire out sometimes. A twist on the wire breaks it free no problem. A quick cleaning with a drill bit and your all set. Until I switched grommets and swivels(very recently) I used to have a little problem with the swivels fitting and had to open up some of the epoxy with a bit. Since I switched grommets(a tad wider) this is not a problem anymore. Well I just switch the grommets about a week or so ago, and with the most recent batch the swivels have plenty of room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010, 01:26 PM
chiefmurph

awesome, sounds like I'm good to go. Thanks JS and Rickski.