whats your favorite topwater lure? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:15 PM
drilltrash

Default whats your favorite topwater lure?

whats your favorite topwater lure for stripers? is it for fresh or salt water?

what we throw out west in the river systems is a lunker punker
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2009, 04:26 PM

Default Re: whats your favorite topwater lure?

Nice looking plugs
Here on the northern end of NJ, pencil poppers rule, with poppers coming in a very close second, and spook style lures, like the ones you posted, coming in a distant third
Old 12-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Lunker

I couldnt tell ya....as I have about 20 plugs and still haven't caught a saltwater fish on one!!.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..theyre ......coming to take me away hahahhahahahahah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2009, 12:19 PM

Big pencils,

2cd choices sometimes first - Polaris popper - Nauset popper - Tsunami Bottle poppers
Old 12-02-2009, 01:52 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Spooks work well here and draw more strikes, pencils are a close second...
Old 12-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Official Member

Stillwater Smack-it
Floating Needlefish
Old 12-03-2009, 04:36 AM
Cow Catcher

Pencils
Old 12-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Tsunami Talkin Popper--they seem to really hate that rattle!
Old 12-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Official Member

I have never caught one on a topwater either, now I have caught them on divers fron casting and reeling and I use them trolling and catch them. I like the Yakima Sea Tiger Bunker, I keep records and on the 2 I have in the last 2 years I have caught 433.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:25 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

First light Pencils and all night long floating needles spooked or swam slow and when you think your going too slow, slow down some more.

I love polaris poppers though. I love working them and I love watching the splash from them.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:30 AM
First Mate

Don't know that I have favorites but some Dannies served me well this fall at night-Black/purple
During the spring run some of the best productive plugs I used were Pencils and Yo-Zuri Sashimi Bull. Hooked onto a monster cow with the Bull this spring when nothing else we used was working. YZ surface cruisers have worked well for quite fome time now, well for me anyway

Cruisers have also caught me several nice fish along w/ a bunch of schoolies. YZ sashimi cruisers, sebile and a couple RV or RM cruisers(I forget from who)
Old 12-30-2009, 10:07 PM
Striper Hunter

I like the yuzuri hydro pop BLACK / CHROME when the herring are running. they also work well on tuna when they are feeding on the top. My only dislike with topwater lures is alotta times they swat at them and miss, but an upside is watching any fish explode on a popper is sweet to see.

Any of the vets have any tips to increase the strike to hook up ratio on top water do you prefer leaving the stock trebble on them ? i kno some ppl like to switch out for a J or circle on the back, i seem to get allota bass to hit the popper when bait is on top but prolly hook 50% or less.

Any tips would be aprechated i am trying to diversify my game and use more lures then bait but fish seem to inhale live bait where as they swat at the lure a few times but more often then not miss or become unbuttoned. Also trying to cross there eyes to compensate seams top rip the lure away from the bass ??!!
Old 12-31-2009, 12:58 AM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hazelton View Post
I like the yuzuri hydro pop BLACK / CHROME when the herring are running. they also work well on tuna when they are feeding on the top. My only dislike with topwater lures is alotta times they swat at them and miss, but an upside is watching any fish explode on a popper is sweet to see.

Any of the vets have any tips to increase the strike to hook up ratio on top water do you prefer leaving the stock trebble on them ? i kno some ppl like to switch out for a J or circle on the back, i seem to get allota bass to hit the popper when bait is on top but prolly hook 50% or less.

Any tips would be aprechated i am trying to diversify my game and use more lures then bait but fish seem to inhale live bait where as they swat at the lure a few times but more often then not miss or become unbuttoned. Also trying to cross there eyes to compensate seams top rip the lure away from the bass ??!!

People use the J hooks on the back for bluefish, it's easier to take the hook out, blues have teeth but weak lips so a treble can tear the lips right off. Bass always hit the head so they hook up on the middle hook. Hookup ratio will never be as high as we want to but all that slapping at it is what makes it fun for me. Sometimes they 're not hungry but being territorial will slap at it when it goes by but Slowing down on the retrieve always helps. Once a bass slaped my lure at least ten yards and i just left it where it landed and a few seconds later he was on it. Gotta play around and see what works. If they come off often then you need to sharpen your hooks. A sharp hook does not glide on the fingernail. It diggs in and holds. Thats how i test them. Don't try to cross the eyes until you feel the weight of the fish, and if fishing with braided line crossing the eyes usually means a missed fish.

Last edited by rjcappy; 12-31-2009 at 01:05 AM. Reason: addon
Old 01-02-2010, 04:37 AM
drilltrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hazelton View Post

i used to throw spooks and had quite a few problems with the fish swiping at the lure and missing. although there is no way to hook up with every single fish you see go after your plug, there are some things that i have tried and had some success. first is the spook/spook type baits that i throw for stripers will get new hooks that are bigger and heavier. also, you can try some suspend dots or the sticky lead strips to help add weight to your lure. i've also heard of guys wrapping some metal wire around the hook near the eyelet to add weight and modify how the lure sits in the water. the reason i try and add weight to a light topwater plug is because most of the strikes i miss that can be prevented are when the lure gets tossed into the air a bit due to the force of the fish breaking surface. i started using the lunker punker cause its pretty heavy, 4.5 ounces compared to whatever a spook weighs. i belive that the added weight this lure has helps keep it on the surface of the water when the fish trys to attack it. hope this helps man.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:41 AM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

Pencils for me.