For Rickski - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:38 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default For Rickski

I know how you like the old stuff...

a friend called me last weekend about a lathe that was at a house selling off all his tools, poor guy's in the beginning stages of Parkinson's..

anyway, he sent me a picture from his cell phone... so I took a ride to Green land NH..

It's a 1975 Craftsman lathe with a 12" swing, powered by a 3/4HP motor, strangely, the drives and tail stock are 1MT ,not 2MT, which I would have expected from something so gugged...... it has so little use, the pulleys are not even shined up from the belt, and the thing is rock solid, not like the stuff sold today... it came with the custom cabinet you see it on and face plates and a set of Greenlie knives.. all for $200... I plan on using it primarily for drilling and bowls work...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 243.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	11971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 245.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	11972  
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2009, 02:01 PM
First Mate

Default Re: For Rickski

I love it. That's the same model lathe I picked up to replace the old Dunlap I had. Mine came with a 1/2HP. Craftsman made a duplicator called a copy crafter that also came with my lathe. I'll get some model numbers and pictures tonight when I get home. The 1MT head and tail stock spur, live, ect centers are still available. Craftsman's parts web site still carries parts for it, and you can download the owners manual.

It's a solid lathe. Last weekend I was stripping bark off some Japenese Black Pine. I had chips flying everywhere. The lathe didn't mind at all and vibrated very little.

Did it come with tool rests? Good luck with it.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:31 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I was surprised it was a 3/4 HP, the data plate on the lathe said no larger than 1/2hp... but the motor is a craftsman lathe/bandsaw/table saw motor ( says it right on the motor data plate) the motor also is a 1975, so if it was swapped out, they did it right after it was bought... it does a much better job at drilling than my turn crafter.. I drilled 100 blanks.. every one was dead nuts, with the Tc, I would have had to "redirect" the through hole on about 10% of them...
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2009, 02:33 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

yes, it came with two tool rests... a 4" and a 12'....
Old 10-09-2009, 08:08 PM
First Mate

Mine is a lathe model 113.228162. The duplicator is model 113.249070. Both Craftsman. Here's a pic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lathe 113228162 duplicator 113249070 (496 x 372).jpg
Views:	1262
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	11973
Old 10-10-2009, 01:08 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

good for you. wasn't sure what you were talking about that nite we spoke when ya said ya was gonna buy tools. so ya did okay ole man... pm me if your gonna see jr. on the holiday?

Old 10-10-2009, 03:54 PM
First Mate

Nice pickup there Roc. I had looked at the same lathe a few months back. It was in pieces at the time ready to ship. It was not nearly as nice as that one though. I was wondering if the monotube was good but now I can see it is. The guy also had a few cases of assorted new in package Sorby turning tools. Rickski I had also at the similar time looked at a Dupont. I'm kicking myself now for not following up with what happened to those 2 lathes, at the time they folks wanted too much $$. I thank you guys for the input on these, if I see another one available for the right price I'll be sure to pull the trigger.
I'm so freaking jealous
Old 10-10-2009, 07:43 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

The mono tube is perfect for drilling,much smoother than a flat bed, I use the chuck to clamp plugs that have a rounded nose (like goo-goos and 40's) so I can sand them round...

Eventualy, I'll swap out the motor for a variable speed, I have a control box and DC motor, all I need to do is make a cradle... next spring maybe.. I'm too busy to bother with it now...it's fine as it is...
Old 10-11-2009, 03:57 PM
First Mate

Roc do you have the motor you need for this? If not give me some information on what you need. I come across motors all the time and may even have one laying around. I install verticle wheelchair lifts(porch lifts), Stair chairs, and other handicap items like that. I have tossed so many motors in the past that it makes me sick to think about it. You just never know I may have what you need. Oh I just looked again and see that you may have what you need, well if not just ask and I'll check. We also usually also have motors from vehicle(vans, buses) w/c lifts, power floors and who knows what else. You would be amazed to see the things we do at the shop as I think things we do would interest you, it's pretty neat and amazing. To be able to drive a vehicle with a joysict like playing a game is one thing along with the cutting up of vans and dropping the floor 6 to 10 inches is another-oh and we can make part of the floor motorized to go up and down. Sorry I'm just rambling and this has nothing to do with the post-except for the motor
Old 10-13-2009, 08:29 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseystriper View Post
Roc do you have the motor you need for this? If not give me some information on what you need. I come across motors all the time and may even have one laying around. I install verticle wheelchair lifts(porch lifts), Stair chairs, and other handicap items like that. I have tossed so many motors in the past that it makes me sick to think about it. You just never know I may have what you need. Oh I just looked again and see that you may have what you need, well if not just ask and I'll check. We also usually also have motors from vehicle(vans, buses) w/c lifts, power floors and who knows what else. You would be amazed to see the things we do at the shop as I think things we do would interest you, it's pretty neat and amazing. To be able to drive a vehicle with a joysict like playing a game is one thing along with the cutting up of vans and dropping the floor 6 to 10 inches is another-oh and we can make part of the floor motorized to go up and down. Sorry I'm just rambling and this has nothing to do with the post-except for the motor
Thanks , but 1) I have everything I need, 2) I run the maintenance department an am a mechanic in a large machine shop...I have anything and everything, dealing with gears, motors belts and anything else you could imagine at my disposal.. my parts trailer would be heaven to most "tinkerers"
Old 10-13-2009, 01:09 PM
First Mate

Yeah Roc I thought that was the case I was knew you worked for a machine shop but I thought I might offer just in case. The idea you have seems the best way to go using the controller and speed adjusted motor. I had modified one a while back for a friend using a pulley with 3 different sizes on it, then made a cradle/slide and quick release clamp to switch belts to different pulley step. It only took about 20 or 30 secs. to change speed. But like said your idea is much better-easier,and convience. I thought I would post this as it may help someone else and if they need I can explain the concept/design to them through PM.

Again very nice rig at a decent price(freaking like brand new) have you had the chance to use it much more since the trial us? Are you looking to sell the other one(Turn Crafter)? I doubt it but I thought I might ask as I have been somewaht looking around. The reason I doubt it is that with 2 you don't have to switch things up as much, but what do I know. It has been years since I have used a lathe. It's also got to be great to have access to all those machining tools to make all those custom parts .

I had never heard of Greenlie (knives)? Is that Greenlee like the electrian tools or just an older company. If it's Greenlee, I never knew they made knives(turning knives? I quess I should ask) Sorry for the long post I'm just trying to help some and expand my own knowledge
Old 10-13-2009, 02:01 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

for what I want it for, the pulley system is fine... I've since mounted the motor on a slide base that has an adjustment bolt...for now, I'll keep it the way it is...

I actualy have 3 lathes, two turn crafters and now the
craftsman... The craftsman and cabinate it is mounted on are relegated for drilling and storage of fixtures, that whole thing is on casters so it can be moved around the shop.. the two Turncrafters are set up with Vegaduplicators, 1 has a 10" dupe.. the other a 24" dupe.. I do some spindle,pen and bowl work as well as plugs...

The tools are made by greenlee( my spelling leaves something to be desired at times).. the same company that makes the electricians tools, they are as old as the lathe.. i gave them to a guy( the one that alerted me to the lathe) at work because I have a full set of Sorbys and a set of Benjamins best, which are made by( or for) penn State industries...a third set woul just be taking up space anyway..

I actualy bought the Craftsman strickly for drilling( and a little bowl turning and proto type makeing)... because I like the tube for that..I could have bought a brand new Turncrafter VS ( less the cabinate) for less money than I paid for the Craftsman... but as always... I had a specific purpose for it.. and it works like a charm....
Old 10-15-2009, 11:10 PM
First Mate

Mounting motors on a spring loaded hinged base works good. Many times, just the weight of the motor is enough to put enough tension on the belt. When it's time to change the belt on the pulley, lift the motor, change the belt position and release. A few second later, you are at a different speed.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:37 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickski View Post
Mounting motors on a spring loaded hinged base works good. Many times, just the weight of the motor is enough to put enough tension on the belt. When it's time to change the belt on the pulley, lift the motor, change the belt position and release. A few second later, you are at a different speed.
that's the way all the old belt driven table saws were set up... my drill press has a simular set up... it wont work on the lathe.. not enough room onthe table top to make the plan fly.. ..but because I am using it to primarily drill.. i use the Ronco theory.. set it and forget it..
Old 10-16-2009, 05:34 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

That Mono Tube looks like it would be unbelievable for through drilling. zero Play. Very nice.