Public Forum Spot Giving Poll - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

View Poll Results: Do you think fishing locations should be displayed without editing on public forums?
Never - only general area information or in private 112 39.30%
Always - You have to know how to fish anyway 56 19.65%
In certain circumstances when its in an online print magazines and already well known 68 23.86%
Never only upon death and then lie about it. 19 6.67%
Could care less if i dont fish the area 6 2.11%
Could care less period. 24 8.42%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Banned

Default Re: Public Forum Spot Giving Poll

I don't fish one spot....Those certainly are nice fish...could you imagine catching those from the surf in the middle of the night without all those expensive fish finders and chart plotters? I don't think its a reasonable comparison in regards to spots a boat fisherman may find compared to a surf caster (hell you can find many spots by reading a navigation map!) Anyone with a boat with electronics shouldn't have to ask and if they do feel the need newbie or not they should take up bowling.

The reason why shore spots are so coveted is because of the skill set needed to develop those spots. Also its funny what you said about fishing one spot.....because you do it every year!!! You fish a seasonal herring run....not much comparison to following the migration of stripers from Sandy hook to Maine. My point being it takes hours upon hours of getting skunked walking the shoreline for miles to find spots that consistently hold fish and there is no comparison to the danger and difficulty involved, that being said most would prefer that the specifics stay out of the public's viewing range!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2009, 05:06 PM
Master Trophy Hunter

You are right again that shore spots are very coveted. I fished from shore for a long long time and did have a few honey holes. I also respect any fisherman who puts in there time and it's great that you can follow fish all over. Quite the long walk by the way. But if you think you could just come into the Hudson and consistently catch 40"+ fish, think again. It is not a puddle and it takes many years and countless hours of fishing to learn the patterns. Enjoy your "skill set" and poison ivy. Tight lines.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:18 PM
First Mate

If a spot is well known, ie. Sandy Hook I see no reason not to tell a new person the layout. Most GOOGS won't walk to the tip to find the rip because it's too far. I would not however tell someone new which mile post a coveted rock is on the canal or a which tide to fish a specific location. Knowing the geography of a spot doesn't tell you when the fish will be there, how to fish the area, or what methods to use. This is only known by trial and error.
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
But if you think you could just come into the Hudson and consistently catch 40"+ fish, think again
Aint that the truth.

For me the idea of coordinates and spots just puts too many people in the way.
The more experience I get the less info I want to divulge. Only to a select few whom I dont mind fishing with. Some guys drive me nuts.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:40 AM
First Mate

By no means am i an expierenced striper fisherman, but i completley agree that spots or specific locations should not be given over public forums. To me the first striper i caught was a result of ALOT of trial and error and many hours spent on the beach. I'm sure it was the same way for many people out there. But in todays world, "the world of now", everyone wants something right away and can't wait. Same applies to striper fishing, people think someone is just going to tell them where to fish and they are goign to catch a fish on the first cast. It's NOT like that, we all want to catch that 40+ inch fish, but it is so much more gratifying when you have put in those long hours and hardwork to finally hook into one. Versus someone "holding you hand" and just bringing you right to the fish. Just my opinion.

--Ethan
Old 06-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejunipero View Post
You are right again that shore spots are very coveted. I fished from shore for a long long time and did have a few honey holes. I also respect any fisherman who puts in there time and it's great that you can follow fish all over. Quite the long walk by the way. But if you think you could just come into the Hudson and consistently catch 40"+ fish, think again. It is not a puddle and it takes many years and countless hours of fishing to learn the patterns. Enjoy your "skill set" and poison ivy. Tight lines.
I will minus the poison ivy...but lets keep on track the thread is about giving specific spot information. The Hudson is irrelevant from boat because any mook can drive around until he see's a group of guys being productive (including your spots)...there is no hiding on that river. You know that though!
Old 06-23-2009, 06:38 PM
Master Trophy Hunter

I agree to disagree. There are places like this but you never will find me in a group of boats. There is a reason why there are 3or4 guys at my marina that consistently catch big fish while the rest do just what you described and brag about there "huge" 36 inch fish. You obviously resent boat fisherman which is fine but I just gave my opinion on the topic. No need to tell me I need to learn about a fish that I study and put in solid 15 hour days hunting. I am more than happy with the consistent results I've had for the past 20 years and still learn something new every trip. I wish I could chase fish all over the coast but it is not possible. But if I could I would always still help out a struggling fisherman by giving up a spot no matter where I was fishing. If that makes me a bad guy so be it. Enough said.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejunipero View Post
But if I could I would always still help out a struggling fisherman by giving up a spot no matter where I was fishing. If that makes me a bad guy so be it. Enough said.
You're missing the point
Telling someone face to face is completely different then what this poll is asking
Would you still tell that guy if you knew 5,000 strangers (aka lurkers) were listening in ??
Old 06-23-2009, 10:06 PM
OneMoreCast

Giving away specific locations never does anybody any good. It ruins it for the guys who've put in the time and it makes the newer fishermen lazy. That said I don't believe all accumulated fishing knowledge should be put in a vault. I'll usually give a general situation like deep water humps, or over eel grass or something. There are two ways to take that type of info. Some guys will spend time looking at charts and start covering water. I don't mind giving intel to that type. The goat ropers will just think you're ducking the "Where'd you catch 'em" question and keep right on running in circles. I find this helps things take care of themselves. Just my .02$
Old 06-23-2009, 10:29 PM
Official Member

This is my first year striper fishing, I honestly don't know why I waited so long!! I have yet to catch one but I fish every chance I get. I go alone and with friends who have been doing it for years. I will not and do not ask where a fish was caught, I will ask the bait or lure type used. I think that the fun and thrill is in the hunt. Don't give up your spots, make us new guys earn our STRIPES!! See you out there.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:54 AM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

I usually post, " I was at one of my favorite haunts". If you know me, than you know where that is. And that is in SoCo.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
............. to a select few whom I dont mind fishing with. Some guys drive me nuts.

When put on the spot,,, everything is caught at a Breachway,, Late afternoon,,, on a worm,,, and always "just undersized".
Old 06-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Banned

I like to tell guys at the canal that I haven't hit any stripers but the cusk are running hard!!!! The guys that get it usually have a laugh....
Old 06-24-2009, 10:20 PM
First Mate

It is only a matter of time before someone sees me with a fish. Too many people around my neck of the woods for them not to see, when I am on land. Most times I can put on the waders and be out of sight. Otherwise I just keep it to myself about the spot.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:01 PM
Official Member

I am relatively new to Striper fishing but I have more than 35 years experience fishing LM and SM recreationally and in tournaments. I have no problem sharing my spots with other fisherman even though I have worked very hard to find some of them. I even downloaded all of my waypoints for a man and his son who I barely knew because they were ready to quit fishing due to a lack of success. These two are now my friends and over the years they have now started to give me some very good spots. Sure many newbies will eventually figure things out on their own, but many, many more will not be able to in a short enough period of time, especially if kids are involved. Kids and even some adults will give up fishing if they never catch anything. I'm not saying everyone should give up their best spots, or all their spots like I did, but maybe give up a so so spot where at least newbies can catch a few fish and learn to apply the lessons learned at the so so spot to find their own. JMHO