Couple of Pogie Questions ? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 05-13-2008, 09:45 AM
Official Member

Exclamation Couple of Pogie Questions ?

How do I catch live Pogies to use as striper bait ? I see these guys jigging off bridges and catching these small fish , putting them in buckets . I assume they are using them live for striper . IF you can catch them how are they hooked for fishing ?

And if all you have is frozen bunker ..... can that be used for striper and how is that hooked ? They are such a delicate fish , the crabs are the only ones to get any . LOL

Any suggestions ? I am fishing East Greenwich Bay .
Thanks Guys ,
Rebekah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2008, 10:12 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: Couple of Pogie Questions ?

Pogies are filter feeders and rarely hit a jig or fly..the bait your seeing caught on the bridge is most likely herring or squid.

Most often pogies/bunker/menhaden are snagged by using a large weighted treble hook, I prefer to pinch the barbs back to curtail the damage.... if you plan on fishing live bunker, put each fish in a bucket of water for a minute or two to allow them to stop bleeding, a bleeding fish introduced into your bait tank will endanger and likely kill the rest of your baits..

Because pogies school tightly, they can be throw netted, check your local regulations on the allowed size of the net....

A live pogie can be fished in several manners, a 3/0 or 4/0 treble hook through the nose cartilage allows for a quick hook set on a live lined fish, I personally do not advocate the use of trebles for live (or cut) bait because it kill alot of fish needlessly....
another, more resource friendly method is to rig pair or 6/0 or 6/0 circle hooks on a short (3') leader, the nose hook is snelled on one end, the second hook is slid on the leader, then a second piece of lighter line ( or dental floss) is used to snell over the hook shank, binding the line tightly to the hook shaft, but allowing the hook to adjust to the size of the baitfish, this rear hook goes in behind the dorsal fin, a fish finder rid is threaded onto the line above the swivel that connects the leader, a rubber band is cinched onto the main line 4-10' up the main line( depending on water depth) this is the stop for the fish finder, a balloon is blown up to the size of a softball and attached via a rubber band to the fish finder, now you can control how deep your bait will swim, but still have the freedom to swim about,when a fish takes the bait, simply reel, if the fish has the bait turned, the hook will slide and "set" when it reaches the front hook.. I use this method (sliding hook)for all manners of live bait fishing, even livelining mackerel in deep water for whale cod...

the last method is to fish deep rips with a 3 way swivel, the slide hook is the same, the exception is that a 3 way swivel is tied to the main line, the leader is tied in the center, and a bank or dipsey sinker is tied to 12" of line on the bottom swivel.. now you can fish deep rips with larger weight where a live lined,free swimming bait would be far above the fish..

Tight lines
Roc
Old 05-13-2008, 11:01 AM

Welcome to the site Rebekah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdogs
And if all you have is frozen bunker ..... can that be used for striper and how is that hooked
Yes but it gets mushy fast. If you salt the bait before its frozen it wont turn to mush when thawed.
Steak it like this.

Impale a large hook on top of the head towards the rear of the head - in one side and out the other so it wont tumble in the wash. Use the second peice with the heart in it just pop a big hook through it and protude the point 1/4 inch. Use the piece above the tail fin it will stay on the hook longest. Throw away the tail fin and the intestines.

Good Luck and have fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2008, 06:27 PM
First Mate

When salting use sea salt or kosher salt. Sea salt the bait will retain a slime - kosher salt will firm up the bait but remove the slime. myself I have never been able to tell the diffrence in the catching ability of eiher they both work,
Old 05-13-2008, 08:34 PM

Heres a quick how to on salting bait.

https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...t=salting+bait
Old 05-13-2008, 10:36 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i like to filet the bastages when they are in thick and i have plenty of bait. the fluttering of meat is irresistable to them. i get some huge fluke this way as well.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oats
i like to filet the bastages when they are in thick
They taste like sardines?
Old 05-21-2008, 04:28 PM
Official Member

Question Re: Couple of Pogie Questions ?

I guess I am confused as to how , when , and where to find the pogies to begin with ? Can they only be caught from a boat , bait trap ? I have a couple of "Sabaki Rigs ?" but I am not even sure that they are still around . Do I just put a weight on the sabaki rig and just bounce it off the bottom ? Or am I confusing the pogy and herring and thinking they are the same fish and they aren't .
Thank You Much guys and Tight Lines !!!!!!!

Rebekah
Old 05-21-2008, 04:40 PM
in awe of real fisherman

Hey Rebekah,
Pogies are also called Menhaden or Bunker. Herring are different. Commonly the two most common ways to gather Pogies is snagging or cast netting. by far the most common for the average person is snagging. you get yourself one of these...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snagging hooks.jpg
Views:	1408
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	5883  
Old 05-21-2008, 04:42 PM
in awe of real fisherman

then when you find a school of pogies, cast into it. count to 3 and then retreive and Pull, retrieve and pull, retreive and pull.....until you snag one.
but as it gets closer to you be careful cause those pulls can launch the thing and you can end up with this (even though this is a foot it can be worse inan arm or an eye!).....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hookfoot.JPG
Views:	2938
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	5885  
Old 06-07-2008, 04:15 AM
Striper Hunter

thats a good one.

Got a scar in my upper arm from a wieghted treble back in 05.

2 of hooks went in, 1 of the 2 also exited.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:55 AM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Ouch.

If your cheap lol, or just dont have any weighted trebles when you get into the bait, you can use a small egg sinker above a treble to snag.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:37 AM
Striper Hunter

Maybe I AM "cheap" but virtually all of the snag hooks I found here in Rhode Island last season were running $3-$4 each and I thought that was a lot of money for a couple ounces of lead and a treble hook. They were usually much heavier than I needed as well.

Also In the shallow, rocky water where I often used them I would frequently get them hung up and lose them.

I shopped around for a mold to make my own then remembered reading in a book where you could take 2-3 unweighted treble hooks and tie them (preferably on dropper loops) to a leader above whatever type of sinker you have on hand to make a snag hook rig.

I tried it and it worked better for me than the store bought snag hooks!

As to technique, after exhausting myself on several outings without a whole lot of success doing the reel and jerk method I see a lot of guys doing to snag pogies (more awkward and difficult from a kayak), I tried casting beyond the schools of fish, then reeling in the snag hooks until I feel it tapping on the fish and THEN reel faster and raise the rod tip (like setting a hook in bait fishing).

This seemed much more productive for me and I usually get as many or more pogies than the guys around me using the reel and jerk method but with much less effort and much less risk of being knocked unconscious or pierced by a flying snag hook.

Now I need to ask you experienced pogie fishermen for some tried and true methods for a single hook rig to live line pogies.

Last season I tried running a circle hook, octopus style hook or treble hook through the nostrils or up through the lips of pogies to live line them and was getting hits but my hook up ratio was poor.

The best results I had was by using a very small treble through the nostrils and got a very good hook-up ratio but the fish were often gut hooked.

Fortunately, on the adult pogies the fish were always well into the keeper range, but I would rather use a method where I can do catch and release without killing the fish. I'd appreciate any ideas.

Brad
Old 01-23-2009, 09:00 AM
First Mate

Some of my counter parts use trebles and yes they will have more hookups than I will and yes it makes for a happy customer but the gut hooks and fish kill out weighs the happy customer. So we try hard not to use them on the Rebel. With our customer and their experience we cannot use circle hooks. They work great but you need to spend hours of missing to learn how and when to set the hook. We use 5,6 and 7 live bait hooks and that can depend on the size of bait and the experience our customers. We hook through the nose since the bass is going to take the bait head first.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:53 AM
First Mate

omg i feel like a noob

im fishing for 13 years and i finally found out what pogys are lol

i always figured they were porgies but spelt differently i never new it was bunker omg lol.

anyways this is how i like to cut bunker. and since it is January i couldnt find any so i had to u Microsoft paint to show u where i cut em.

The part that i circled at the bottom i cut off and cut reall small to chum them

i only use the head and the middle body.

The only time i ever use the tail part is if i know there are small stripers around and i want to chunk the small ones.