Spray paint - Page 3 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:22 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: Spray paint

They sell small bottles of Etex, I saw some 4 ounce bottles a few weeks back when I was looking for QUARTS !

Warming it up makes all the differance in the world.. the stuff becomes a whole different chemical, much eaiser to work with...

I just warm the bottles in my spinner before I mix it, at the same times I warm the plugs as well, the combo of the two makes appication a snap....

Tomorrow I promise to have the pictures of my new spinner up... you guys are going to LOVE it!
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Lunker

dumb question roc,what is the advanges of a spinner as opposed to flipping them? if i showed you the rack and wire set up i use for flipping you would probably kick me off the site!! but it works ,i usually epoxy 5 or 6 at a time.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:22 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mully537 View Post
dumb question roc,what is the advanges of a spinner as opposed to flipping them? if i showed you the rack and wire set up i use for flipping you would probably kick me off the site!! but it works ,i usually epoxy 5 or 6 at a time.

Set it and forget it..... go on to something else or go to bed... also... you cant drop a plug when it's in the spinner... every time you handle a plug, it's one more chance to screw it up...it's just a convience thing, one less chance for human error..it also give me a controlled enviroment, no dust, I control the heat and humidity..
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2008, 01:54 PM

To add to Roc's answer, I go back to my early days of rod building and my introduction to epoxies.
You get a much more even and level coat. There are times when you think the epoxy has taken, and you stop turning it, then, wham, you go back to take them off the hanger and you have a sag that throws the weight distibution off completely. I stripped quite a few rods in the early days because of that.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:27 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

While we're on the subject of epoxy I had two more questions. The first is do you have to epoxy the tail weights in before painting or at all? This next one may seem like a dumb&$# question, but what do you use to put the epoxy on the plug? Do you paint it on or do you dip the plug?
thanks again for all the help
Old 03-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Lunker

no dumb questions only dumb answers!! plumbers acid brushes to apply epoxy ,i think some guys use the foam ones used for painting crafts( both at hardware stores and pretty cheap) about the tail weights , i always rigged after epoxy but i know some others on this site rig and wire first ,and after firsthand seeing their work has me rethinking my method
Old 03-06-2008, 09:25 PM

Rig and wire then epoxy, One more structural integrity insurance.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:29 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Thanks guys. I'm hoping to get the painting started this weekend.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:37 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by khary23 View Post
While we're on the subject of epoxy I had two more questions. The first is do you have to epoxy the tail weights in before painting or at all? This next one may seem like a dumb&$# question, but what do you use to put the epoxy on the plug? Do you paint it on or do you dip the plug?
thanks again for all the help

I epoxy my tail weights in with elmers wood repair two part epoxy putty, it's the same putty I use on my belly weights..but most builders dont bother, they allow the tail weight to be secured with the gromet and wire.

I use acid brushes, I buy them in bulk from Grainger... but you can get them in a craft store or hardware store...

to keep smegma off my plugs, I first crimp the base of the brush, and pull any loose hairs, I then run a bead of super glue along the base... once the super glue is dry, I then rinse the brush in denatured alcohol, you wont believe the crap that runs off of it... all that would have been left on your plugs!

I do all this prep at once, when I take the brushes from the plastic container they come in... I store them in a plastic coffee can until I need them...
Old 03-10-2008, 06:05 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

hi guys. I have painted one of the plugs so far, but I'm not getting that nice finish that you guys do. Is it because I'm useing the spray cans or should I sand more?

thanks
Old 03-11-2008, 12:59 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by khary23 View Post
hi guys. I have painted one of the plugs so far, but I'm not getting that nice finish that you guys do. Is it because I'm useing the spray cans or should I sand more?

thanks

Post a picture, that will help us .... what kind of primer? also, we are putting a clear coat, either epoxy or acrylic... Gunny might be on to somethong as well., check out his post on something different...
Old 03-11-2008, 11:02 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Hey Roc I think I figured it out. I painted another one today and got a really nice smooth finish. I think it was the color of paint(fluorescent green) on the first one. I am useing rustoleum for all my paint and bin primer.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:28 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Almost done. I have them all painted and two are rigged. I have to tell you that doing the tail wrap with out a vice is a PIA. Next step epoxy. One last question about it, do you pour it on or brush it or a combination of both? Here's a pic of them so far. Try not to look at the tail wraps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0226 (450 x 600).jpg
Views:	112
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	5115  
Old 03-18-2008, 06:58 AM
First Mate

I think they are coming out great.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:07 AM

K they are coming along great, and your tail wraps are fine!
One thing about the paint/epoxy process, after you coat them the differance is unbelievable! The epoxy completely changes the appearance. A mediocre looking paint job, looks awesome after the epoxy is applied and cures.
From what I see your paint is far from mediocre.