2012 Big "D" spring fishing reports(post here) - Page 4 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Delaware River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Delaware River A Forum for The Delaware River guys.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:25 PM
jetinray

Default Re: 2012 Big "D" spring fishing reports(post here)

Heading to *** Monday and had a question about what Tide is better. If anyone could help I would appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 11:05 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

I prefer the natural flow of things so tht would be the fallen tide when the river runs it's natural course.

On another note I am beginning to be very much baffled by this spring run. The temps r perfect last year with water temps 10 degrees lower at same time last year I had keepers landed this year nothing but 10', 09', 08', class fish. I checked the creek not a blueback shad or skipjack around there yet. Shad r up north the first big push of mature males usually follows the shad then the females follow the herring. Other than the really clear sky and no chop on the river I can't understand why these fish have not come
Up earlier than last year as I was always taught fish follow bait and water temps! Can wait til sat and sun looks like rain I sure hope so I'll be on the river. More than 80 bass have hit the deck of my boat so far this month an not one over 27" not many over 21". It was cool catching rats first couple trips but enough is enough last year class is doing extremely well compared to
Other years so the future looks bright. Hopefully it really kicks in soon.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:54 AM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

I think maybe it has more to do with the moon cycle then it does water temp. But then even in past years large bass would have moved up river before river even reached 50. Last year with the rains and fast water the spawn
Was a good one this year once the mature fish arrive the waters will
Already be perfect and they will not be staging as they would in previous years rather maybe they r going to do the deed as soon as they reach the spawning grounds and then eagerly push right back out??!? Idk jus my thoughts. But I'm trying to check over the moon stages of previous years against water temps and c if I can find some proof tht maybe once this cycle starts (I think Tomm) everything will fall into place. I deff saw signs tht maybe some bass r spawning. This is one of many reasons I love and respect Stripers it's always an on going challenge year after year. I'm gone to Get'em figured out this weekend dawn til dusk or more if I have to. Can't wait til 2019 lol if I'm
Alive should be a good amount of 30" fish running the river. Keep logs and make a notation somewhere 2011 class they r all extremely strong and healthy and in good numbers and watch out for them in 6-10 years. But right now I want some
92'-97' class big D bass.
Sorry for blabing off. Tight lines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 10:07 AM
jetinray

Thanks MU It looks like high tide is 4:40 AM Monday and it supposed to be cloudy in the morning so we will see what happens. my neighbor is at cbb today I will let you know how he makes out. As for the moon phase if you follow what they say it seems like you would not fish to much.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:26 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Lol I fish regardless but I'm looking at moon cycles to pinpoint if the bass move according to moon cycle or the water temps. And I'm
Pretty sure it's different in sprig and fall. Fall water temps along with bait more so dictate the bass movements. Spring there is also a school of thought tht says bass move up river to spawn according to water temps. But with the different winter patterns we had then previous winters I'm thinking maybe in spring the actual natural urge to reproduce may be more influenced by the moon then water temps and bait.
I'm jus one of Those guys who wants to know everything there is about the striped bass the how's why's Whts where's and when's !!! I study striped bass I don't jus fish for them I live for them
Lol
Old 03-23-2012, 08:53 PM
jetinray

If your not fishin your not catchin if the moon phase fits in to when you can fish it all good. My neighber ended up with a bunch of 21" or less today but they caught one 30" that shot sperm all over. where are the big girls?
Old 03-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

I've had first year bass sperm on the boat but a 30" good sign the males show up first females a week or so after. I have recently learned tht a bass will sometimes not spawn every year. I did not know this has anyone else heard of this? Also the more photoplankton in the river which is cause by higher water temps helps to have a successful spawning year and this year maybe te bass r waiting til the river fills up with food for the larve and fry. Last years class will be considered a dominate class among the population (Thts good news). Strong currents and higher water levels helped increase survival rates of last year larve.
Early morning and dusk 5-7 males will bump a female to the surfae where swifter currents are and continue bumping her to release her eggs then they release sperm to fertilize the eggs. The eggs must remain moving with current and the higher the water temps the faster the eggs hatch and the higher the water temps the more food avaiable to the fry once they finish the sacks after 30-55 days.
Jus bored waiting for Tomm to hit the river.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:46 AM
krex1010

Fished north of cbb from about 2pm until dusk yesterday. We did pretty well, caught an released two keeper size males one right at 28" one about 30", caught a half dozen shorts and a bunch if catties. The boat next to us had a striper that was just under 28". All caught on clams n bloods.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:31 PM
jetinray

good to hear Krex got he bloods and setting my GPS with some areas that look good can't wait to hit the water monday morning. I'll report in on how we make out.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:44 AM
Striper Hunter

We were out yesterday, it was ruff but we stuck it out until about 1:30pm. Only five shorts in the boat for me and the wife got skunked (unusall) the action was just to slow to warnt staying out in that wind. Checking my weather site for today and deciding to give it a go again today. Looking for our first keeper of the year and i wont find it in my living room, lol.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:06 AM
jetinray

Any advice on fishin in the wind. Monday is looking pretty windy not sure if we sure hold off til Tuesday. But I have to keep the bloods alive been flipping the bags around and have the bags open since Friday night
Old 03-25-2012, 09:46 AM
Striper Hunter

Well with the 8 -15 mph wind and on and off rain, my pop and I decided to call it off. We will have to try and go out again next weekend. We drove down to Govenor Pritz Park to look thinks over. Just nasty, not worth it. Lots of luck to you die hards out there!
Gravy
Old 03-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Fished all day sat 8am-:5:30pm finally got tht keeper! 30" bass on clam hit like a bolt of lighting. Got it right before the change of tide around 4pm. Winds kept my boat almost facing opposite direction of the tide but perfect striper weather. Fishing was slow early on for me only picking up 9 bass by 12 but once the winds picked up and put a decent chop on the water it was on. Caught several fish 22"-25" then finally put the 30" in the boat got taped and photoed and back in the drink. Very healthy with signs of mating on it's side.
Jus woke up Sunday and looks like the rains aren't to bad so I'm bout to head out. I was solo yesterday in the 12' aluminum but it actually handled better in the chop than it did with 2 ppl. And I been out in worse but we had 2 ft rollers and white caps yesterday gone give it a shot today I think.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:49 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Was out today and I wasn't in the mood for rats did alot of moving around alot of traveling every stop catch a rat pick up leave few spots south picked up 21-25" bass (4) 12 rats 6 cats 4 white perch which kinda got my nerves goin a bit cause if the perch move in real heavy before the big Stripers Thts neither good for us or the Stripers as they r natural egg and larve eaters and bait pickers. But not a fish over 25". Did get on a troll for about 1 hour with stretch and Xrap joint shad and not a bump tho. Gone a try a 4 spread with spoons on the next outing. I've been reluctant to bring out the live chubs but next trip I'm taking 6-8"ers.
Tried drifting clams for first time and it worked like a charm so I'll be putting a Lil more practice into tht and keep u informed on the progress. Only did it this trip as an extra Lil something while casting my target live blueback herring lure(this gone b a good lure on the river this year I know it). But drifting produced Several bass.goo thing was they all hooked themselves. Even threw topwater plugs today and swore I seen a boil behind it once I know it's early but jus gave it a shot.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:00 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfishin View Post
Any advice on fishin in the wind. Monday is looking pretty windy not sure if we sure hold off til Tuesday. But I have to keep the bloods alive been flipping the bags around and have the bags open since Friday night
No wind equals no bass bottom Line for most bass there has to be Some type of chop and tht comes from The wind jus need to take into consideration what tide is and wht dirrection sometimes u can pick ur spots but wind against tide is the worst if its high winds. but Monday with 20-30 I'd stay home Unless u knew a spot they were sacked Up at for sure! I've fished in tht stuff on the river In a 21'er and it's wasn't pleasant ended up with some fish but mind u this was at the hight of the run at the time and herring were the bait lol. And it not at the peek so jus not worth it. Bloods will be fine another day.