2012 Big "D" spring fishing reports(post here) - Page 14 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Delaware River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Delaware River A Forum for The Delaware River guys.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:21 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Default Re: 2012 Big "D" spring fishing reports(post here)

For the life of me the perch won't really work for me I mean they have but jus not consistent enough for me to continuously use them. I would say the fresh bunkers fresh clams and eels are going to be ur best option unless u got chubs they are a reliable bait. I haven't had any request for chub orders tho so not sure how others r doing with them. Catch'em up. I'm liking the 2way idea might break mine out the box and hook it up only use it down shore. But while I'm fishing lol don't expect no locations of where I'm at only once I'm off water will locations be given I don't mind sharing ideas or spots or tactics but not while I'm there lololol going out wed morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 01:15 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu fish View Post
For the life of me the perch won't really work for me I mean they have but jus not consistent enough for me to continuously use them. I would say the fresh bunkers fresh clams and eels are going to be ur best option unless u got chubs they are a reliable bait. I haven't had any request for chub orders tho so not sure how others r doing with them. Catch'em up. I'm liking the 2way idea might break mine out the box and hook it up only use it down shore. But while I'm fishing lol don't expect no locations of where I'm at only once I'm off water will locations be given I don't mind sharing ideas or spots or tactics but not while I'm there lololol going out wed morning.
Any tips on where I should go with my Kayak? I know I can access the river from the cove in palmyra, delanco, burlington and bordentown. Also you you said in an earlier post that the action is still good ( i am paraphrasing) but basically when does the run slow down on the delaware? I am hoping to get a few more weeks of attempting to land a big striper.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:32 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

To be quite honest it has yet to peak and like I said earlier bass come up river in waves upon waves and they stay until there is to much competition for food or food runs back down river. The herring are jus now showing up in better numbers an water temps have remained relatively the same throughout the river so Thts also a plus. I expect to see a spike in temps over the next week and I'm kinda hoping for some rain to speed up currents so the larve have a better success rate like last year.
2 things will keep bass around our river food and water temps. Bass on average can cover 12 miles a day while others will remain in a general area for some time and move slower through the river. And all bass are not alike.
If u ask me to put a time on it I'd have to say 4-5 more good weeks then everything will begin the treck back to the bay and adjacent coast lines as they move north for the summer months.
And u can launch a yak anywhere u see fit! Lol
I haven't heard much on Trenton area as far as Stripers but I'd imagine is easier further south as herring will be the bass main diet ao here big lures will be in order and baits will work better south.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 08:24 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanks Mu Fish. I am not well versed on which lures work best for Stripers, nor do I expect you to have free clinics on the forum, LOL! I will do my homework and look up what to use and how to use it and hopefully I will tie into some stripers this year!
Thanks again for all your wisdom!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:36 PM
Striper Hunter

robmedina. If you are in a yak dont ignore the thin water north of the trenton rapids. You dont have to be all that familar with the river either. Just look for a current break and cast to it. The river is so low this year that the larger boats arnt in the fast snallows therefore not much fishing pressure. As far as lures go try buck tails, fins, rapalas. Heddon lucky 13 on top. These are some of my favs. Because i get out after work and do not have much time for baits. Also north of trenton there is no tide so you dont have to worry about ebbing tides.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:37 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

If ur in a yak and are drift fishing a clam with lightest weigh will clean up. And an eel dragging with the lightest inline sinker. Bucktail jigs with trailer and teaser and Deepdivers plugs bouncing off bottom and big spoons. Target live blueback herring lure is a great lure.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:47 PM
Striper Hunter

@montauk & @mufish- Thanks much. I will research these baits. I do have some swim bates ( larger saltwater type) 1 buck tail (I will be getting more) and some tube and gulp alive blood sand worms.
Back in the day I used to fish at the trenton makes bridge (actually under the railroad bridge) with a small weight fly rod and a clouser minow- casting into the current I would catch small stripers and white perch on practically every cast. Perhaps if I upsize my bait I would catch bigger ones....
Old 04-17-2012, 10:30 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Montauk why is the ebbing tide a concern? I'm just wondering? Especially in a yak why would it be of any concern? I'm not a yak fisherman but soon I'm going to try it out in the bays and ocean front this summer.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:40 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Montauk why is the ebbing tide a concern? I'm just wondering? Especially in a yak why would it be of any concern? I'm not a yak fisherman but soon I'm going to try it out in the bays and ocean front this summer.
let me know when you hit the bays I will join you. I dont do ocean front....
Old 04-18-2012, 12:44 AM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Will do I'll send u a message soon I'm thinking about end of may and June in a yak I was trying to piece one together a friend of mine has one with depth finder rod holders trolling motor. It looks badass. But he goes a mile off beach sometimes and has some cool videos. He told me there is a group down around sea isle (base camp for me) tht get together and do the same thing as a group a mile or so offshore. And skishing is another thing I will be doing also this summer (it's hellafun tried it last year) I even tried a bass tube off the beach in fall and just drifted with current to the inlet and had a paddle with me an fins was kinda fun too. But let's end this covo on this here and now cause I'm getting excited already thinking about fall ad spring ain't even over yet. Won't be in SIC til at least the end of may for now I want to enjoy my river as long as I can. Won't see her again til next spring so all focus is here.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:59 AM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

And loli had to comment again: u said 1 bucktail!?!? They r the most versatile lure there is hands down. They can be cast trolled jigged u name it they do it and u can catch almost every species of inshore fish there is. Load up on them. Caribou and polar bear are they best there is so if u can get them
Then get them could be a bit more $ than regular store deer hair jigs tho.
Flounder striper blue weakfish drum seabass tog shark ling have all fell victim to the bucktail jig. Good for deep water or skinny water night or day jus one lure u should really gain experience with and have alot of.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:18 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
u said 1 bucktail!?!?
I was wondering if that would be caught, LOL! YEah I bought 1 but do plan on picking up more for sure. I caught a flounder on a jig 10 years or so ago by mistake- I did not really know how to use it so I was casting out and letting it sit (think I had some type of trailer on it) got bored with it just sitting so I started realing it in and bam the flounder hit it.
I think I will tie the buck tail on next time I go out. I have 30# braid with a 50# mono leader right now for my tube and worm- should I use the same rigging for the bucktail? Should I use a slip sinker to help keep it down? I think the one I have is a SPRO Prime Bucktail Saltwater Jigs in either 1 oz or 3/4oz I forget which weight.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

The line if fine. In the river I use nothing less than 2oz up to 5oz. But u want to be able to use the lightest jig possible tht will still get to bottom quick enough. Use 36" leader 15" above the jig tie a dropper loop and attach a teaser which consist of jus a hook and bucktail (no weight) on the hook end of the jig u want a 4"-6" trailer. In the river there r several ways to fish these. U can find a current seam cast up the seam let it drift through the seam twiching ur rod tip as it goes then poopping it as it swings out down current like a wounded prey tht can't fight the current(this is where most hook ups on bass will occur) u can also back swim it down seam by simply reeling backwards keeping tension between u and the all the while twiching and popping the jig then just fish it back up river whith the same twiching and popping til it reaches the boat. 2 very successful tactics for bass on the river.
Use this same method for swimbaits also.
Don't over look spoons and metals like cripple herring in 2-5oz either they are killer on the river(at least last year they were)
Old 04-18-2012, 02:43 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

[QUOTE=robmedina;159447]I caught a flounder on a jig
It is the best flounder rig around jus keep it moving and u will load up.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:07 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanks Mu Fish. You are a wealth of knowledge. Like I said, lets get that yak in the water. You dont really want to wait till the summer do ya????