Is this story True, or is it just too damn fishy..... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > South Carolina - Interior
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

View Poll Results: Is this story Truth or Manure?
Truth 7 43.75%
This sounds like Huss Manure/Stable Dung 9 56.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2005, 02:54 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Default Is this story True, or is it just too damn fishy.....

Friday, 06 May 2005
Female Angler Catches 40lb Striped Bass
COLUMBIA, SC, (NAMC) - Female angler, [EDITED] of Columbia, S.C. caught her first ever striped bass on Tuesday May 3rd and the fish weighted in at a hefty 40 pounds 3 hours after it was landed. The fish was 46" long and had a girth of 28".

Very few men have caught a fresh water fish this big and for a female to catch it and it be her first ever striped bass is simply amazing.

[Edited]'s husband who operates [Edited] said she was smiling ear to ear as she fought the fish and let out a big gasp as the huge fish finally came up by the boat.

The striped bass (which is also called a striper)was caught while fishing the Saluda River in Columbia, S.C. with a live 6" brown trout about 10' deep with a big cork.

Stripers make a spawning run much like salmon do and even though this fish is a freshwater striper (often called a sweetwater striper), they still make their way up rivers in the spring to spawn.

Striped bass fishing is heating up across the nation as the spring run gets in high gear and they also migrate up and down the east coast in the ocean. Connecticut and NY area anglers are currently catching a good deal of schoolies (smaller fish under 28") as they await for the big stripers to come into the surf, bays and rivers.

----------------

I dont know......I think someone might be tryin' to pull a fast one with this story LMAO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2005, 05:22 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I think it probably is true,wouldnt be the first time a greenhorn nailed a big un!
Old 05-07-2005, 08:47 PM

i guess it is true, but there isnt anyway of really telling unless we witnessed it. :?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2005, 10:43 PM

It sounds a little fishy. COurse they didnt say anything about the tackle she used...
Old 05-08-2005, 12:54 PM

My first thought when it was shown to me is that it is a steaming hot pile of hussdung, made up in order to promote a web site/board. I also found it funny that the tackle used to allegedly catch this supposed fish was not listed, AND, there were no pics to document such a freshwater catch.

Who knows, could be true. But I still think it's kukkah LMAO

Old 05-08-2005, 01:10 PM

Pictures = true.....no pictures of this cow = not true.

They didn't even mention they had no camera,etc....But you know if this was her first COW she would of kept it, and took it to the local bait store. Got her picture taken there with it.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:04 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

TRUE! how can you say it's not? why it's mothers day and a woman caught a fish! some guys would have posted THEY caught a fish that size! while they are hard to come by in that situation. BUT; why no picture you ask? i'm ashamed my wife caught a bigger fish than i will ever catch in my entire life! i will NOT embarrass myself further! I SAY TRUE

Old 05-08-2005, 04:50 PM
Shark Bait

just sounds a little strange, but i would believe it. Is it legal to liveline a brown trout though? As far as i know you cant use any sport fish as live bait, but i may be wrong.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:42 PM

Used live brown trout for bait. I didnt know you could use brown trout for bait. Wow I think it is false because I myself would never use brown trout for bait.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:18 PM

I know up here you dont want to get caught by a CO using live Trout fa bait, and thats fa damn sho-wah!

Old 05-09-2005, 08:43 PM

same here jonny :)
Old 05-10-2005, 02:35 PM

Default fish story

We hear stories like this one all the time. Its really hard to say either way. What surprises me is the trout thing. If she has never caught a striper, how would she know to use a trout for bait? That is not usually something a beginner would know to try. Im not sure about SC but in TN it is legal to fish with trout as live bait. The daily limit is 7, of any size browns or bows. Also, if you buy the trout and have a receipt, you can have as many as you want. Id say that same rule applies in South Carolina as well. Using trout is defffinetly not out of the ordinary, just the use of trout by a novice angler.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:04 AM
Lunker

Question Re: Is this story True, or is it just too damn fishy.....

The story seems to be strangely put together...Regardless of the bait (she may have been with an experienced angler.) They did say her husband was with her. I would think its bs just due to the story, but without a pic, who knows.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:42 AM
Veteran Striper Chaser

Default Re: Is this story True, or is it just too damn fishy.....

I'm just lmao I guess you guys never heard of Kay Townsend or Terry Sandstrom let alone a few other gals that could outfish alot of guys
Old 05-11-2008, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Is this story True, or is it just too damn fishy.....

I think theres a picture of Kay in the Old surf photo thread.
The article referred to it as her first ever striper. Not unrealistic. Many an angler has hooked into a monster first time out.
That news release brought attention because it was a promo for a now defunct web site.