frozen salted herring - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 04-23-2010, 01:54 AM
Official Member

Default frozen salted herring

Not having much success jigging herring from the riverbank so far. The herring I got from a local shop is real mushy when it thaws out. The stuff keeps peeling right off my hook when i cast. Anybody have a trick for keeping soft bait on the hook? I figure I'll try to tie it on with some thread tomorrow, but anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2010, 07:47 AM
Official Member

Default Re: frozen salted herring

use a small swatch of hard rubber (thick rubberband or such type material) and place it on the hook after you've threaded on your bait. That'll help with it just pulling out but idk what to do to prevent ripping Good luck.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
The herring I got from a local shop is real mushy when it thaws The stuff keeps peeling right off my hook when i cast.
Tell the dude at the local shop to salt his bait before freezing it.
If you have left over bait do this to it.
You want to salt the bait to draw water out of it before it gets frozen.
Get a 48 quart cooler or something like that. You'll also need several pounds of the cheapest possible non-iodized table salt. A couple of pounds of Kosher salt from the local Walbaums will do. Expect to use a pound of salt for no more than five pounds live weight of bait. After covering the bottom of the cooler with bait about an inch thick, cover it liberally with the salt. (leave the plug out on the cooler so the water drains out quickly) The bait should look like it got snowed over. Then go ahead and lay on more bait and more salt until you're done. Let this whole thing sit and drain for 24 hours with no refrigeration. (Don't put any ice in there with the bait!) You'll be amazed at how much water the salt pulls out of the bait. After 24 hours, rinse the majority of the salt off the bait with fresh water and let it drain. If you're using the bait almost immediately, skip the rinse and just use the bait straight out of the salt. It'll actually stay fresh enough to use for several days if just left covered with salt and no refrigeration. If you plan to store the bait, place the rinsed and drained bait in zip-loc bags. Or vacuum pack them. (Dont let it get freezer burnt) and stick them in the freezer. If you've ever frozen bait without this treatment, you know that it tends to be really mushy when you thaw it. Bait treated as above will remain a lot fresher and not mushy. If the bait was properly salted before freezing, it will never actually freeze solid because there is not much water left in it. Straight out of the freezer you can reach in and grab a single bait because they won't freeze together. The
salt will prevent freezer burn. If your bait gets burnt, striped bass wont touch it.
You can use this method with most type baits. Bunker included.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2010, 06:25 PM
Striper Hunter

Location: N.Y.S. out side of kingston ny in olivebridge rt 28

man thats great info thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
tell the dude at the local shop to salt his bait before freezing it.
Get a 48 quart cooler or sometning like that. You'll also need several pounds of the cheapest possible non-iodized table salt. A couple of pounds of kosher salt from the local walbaums will do. Expect to use a pound of salt for no more than five pounds live weight of bait. After covering the bottom of the cooler with bait about an inch thick, cover it liberally with the salt. (leave the plug out on the cooler so the water drains out quickly) the bait should look like it got snowed over. Then go ahead and lay on more bait and more salt until you're done. Let this whole thing sit and drain for 24 hours with no refrigeration. (don't put any ice in there with the bait!) you'll be amazed at how much water the salt pulls out of the bait. After 24 hours, rinse the majority of the salt off the bait with fresh water and let it drain. If you're using the bait almost immediately, skip the rinse and just use the bait straight out of the salt. It'll actually stay fresh enough to use for several days if just left covered with salt and no refrigeration. If you plan to store the bait, place the rinsed and drained bait in zip-loc bags. Or vacuum pack them. (dont let it get freezer burnt) and stick them in the freezer. If you've ever frozen bait without this treatment, you know that it tends to be really mushy when you thaw it. Bait treated as above will remain a lot fresher and not mushy. If the bait was properly salted before freezing, it will never actually freeze solid because there is not much water left in it. Straight out of the freezer you can reach in and grab a single bait because they won't freeze together. The
salt will prevent freezer burn. If your bait gets burnt, striped bass wont touch it.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJer View Post
Not having much success jigging herring from the riverbank so far. The herring I got from a local shop is real mushy when it thaws out. The stuff keeps peeling right off my hook when i cast. Anybody have a trick for keeping soft bait on the hook? I figure I'll try to tie it on with some thread tomorrow, but anyone have any suggestions?
F the froze herrin your only playin half the game go catch the bait and play the whole game man
Old 04-24-2010, 07:36 AM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
Tell the dude at the local shop to salt his bait before freezing it.
Get a 48 quart cooler or sometning like that. You'll also need several pounds of the cheapest possible non-iodized table salt. A couple of pounds of Kosher salt from the local Walbaums will do. Expect to use a pound of salt for no more than five pounds live weight of bait. After covering the bottom of the cooler with bait about an inch thick, cover it liberally with the salt. (leave the plug out on the cooler so the water drains out quickly) The bait should look like it got snowed over. Then go ahead and lay on more bait and more salt until you're done. Let this whole thing sit and drain for 24 hours with no refrigeration. (Don't put any ice in there with the bait!) You'll be amazed at how much water the salt pulls out of the bait. After 24 hours, rinse the majority of the salt off the bait with fresh water and let it drain. If you're using the bait almost immediately, skip the rinse and just use the bait straight out of the salt. It'll actually stay fresh enough to use for several days if just left covered with salt and no refrigeration. If you plan to store the bait, place the rinsed and drained bait in zip-loc bags. Or vacuum pack them. (Dont let it get freezer burnt) and stick them in the freezer. If you've ever frozen bait without this treatment, you know that it tends to be really mushy when you thaw it. Bait treated as above will remain a lot fresher and not mushy. If the bait was properly salted before freezing, it will never actually freeze solid because there is not much water left in it. Straight out of the freezer you can reach in and grab a single bait because they won't freeze together. The

Not in stinkin NY.... it's illegal to catch live bait, transport in a motorized vehicle and then use again

and ...... the herring i have in my freezer are for personal consumption ... not to be used as pike bait next winter
Old 04-24-2010, 08:05 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship of Fools View Post
not to be used as pike bait next winter
Old 04-27-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Not in stinkin NY.... it's illegal to catch live bait, transport in a motorized vehicle and then use again
I forgot completely about that rule in the Hudson. You would think that they would have eradicated the VHS by now.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_mari...itfishofny.pdf

So they must be blessed and certified by the local dealer.
Well tell him to salt them before he says three hail mary's over them.

Restrictions on Use and Possession of Marine
Baitfish
Baitfish collected in the Marine and Coastal District may
be transported overland only for use in the Marine and
Coastal District in the following counties: Queens, Kings,
Richmond, New York, Bronx, Suffolk, Nassau, Rockland and
Westchester. The Marine and Coastal District includes waters
of the Atlantic Ocean within 3 miles of the coastline and all
other tidal waters, including the Hudson River upstream to
the Tappan Zee Bridge.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:31 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship of Fools View Post

and ...... the herring i have in my freezer are for personal consumption ... not to be used as pike bait next winter

I ice them down and pickle em, or vacuum seal as soon as I get home and the rest go to maine and NH. If you do that and keep them frozen they are as good as fresh dead.