Fishing Lines - my experiences - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Gulp! smells funny

Default Fishing Lines - my experiences

I like the fishing line discussions on here. I've done alot of experimenting with different kinds of lines, and I figured I would post some of my personal experiences.

I'm going to differentiate between mono used for main line (running line) and for leaders.

Lets start with what I like best, my favorites.

Mono
Trilene XL - my preferred mono. Limp; casts well, Fairly abrasion resistant. Cheap, easy to find everywhere, and available in my favorite color - lo-vis green.

Trilene XT - very abrasion resistant, not as limp.

Trilene Big Game - very inexpensive, can be found pretty much every where. Strong. Consistent. Excellent blend of XT and XL characteristics.

McCoy's Mean Green - very supple, smooth, awesome casting line. Lasts forever. Hard to find, not very resistant to abrasion.

Leader
Big Game - super inexpensive as a leader, very tough, strong, solid.

Maxima chameleon - the most abrasion resistant leader mono I've found. tough tough tough. did i say tough? stiff though, and pricey.

Seaguar - hands down best (consistently strong) flouro leader out there, but very pricey.

Berkley premium fluorocarbon - great diameter (thin), easy to find, strong, avg abrasion resistance.

Braid
Power Pro - casts very well, resistant to backlashes (vs other more limp braids), easy to find, will last years on a spool

Fireline - handles easily, works great on spinning reels, lasts multiple seasons, casts well, it is very strong - twice its rated breaking strength.

Now what I consider average, run of the mill

mono
Ande - inexpensive, but thick diameter, tends to be stiff.

Iron Silk - Tough as nails, but very stiff, thick and opaque. Strong - twice its rated strength...but very expensive, and not long lasting. is it even made anymore?

Maxima Ultra green - very strong, abrasion resistant. Great color. Very stiff, thick. Expensive, hard to find.

Cortland cam-o-flage - limp line, nice color, average abrasion resistance. Not very smooth. cheap.

Cajun Red - limp line, strong. Hate the color. Seems too thick.

Suffix Monos - solid line, great green color. Decent price, spools nicely. Comes off spinning and casting reels with alot of memory. Seems way too thick for its strength.

p-line flouro clear - thin, super limp, super smooth. strong. casts miles. Too soft, no abrasion resistance.

Vanish Transition - turns yellow out of the water, clear under the water. Perfect for line watchers. great diameter, avg abrasion resistance. Casts avg. stiff.

Leader
triple fish camo - super tough, solid strong leader. Cheap. smooth. Very stiff.

Ande mono leader - strong, solid. inexpensive. some abrasion resistance.

Vanish - cheap, easy to find, thin. Avg abrasion resistance.

Braid
spider wire stealth - very smooth, casts well. coating comes off during use, some tangling issues. Lasts forever.

spider wire fusion - first fused braid. average in every way. thick diameter.

Now the stuff I don't like at all

mono
Trilene sensation - too thin, super springy, no abrasion Resistance, worthless junk

trilene maxx - too thick, too much memory, too springy, no abrasion resistance.

Vanish - plain vanish is worthless as a main line. Not smooth, too stiff.

Yo-zuri hybrid - stiff, rough finish on line.

stren monos - have tried various stren monos, always seem to have too much stretch, springy.

Silver thread products - see trilene sensation

braid
tuf line xp - susceptible to tangling. avg longevity. tends to unravel. can be very $$$.

original spider wire - see above

leader
Ande flouro - no abrasion resistance. expensive. thick. horribly stiff.

Again, these are only lines that i have personally used on my own rods.

Agree or disagree? what are your experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2009, 12:19 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Fishing Lines - my experiences

Favorite Mono:
Jinkai Premium.
Trilene Big Game.

Favorite Braid:
Sufix Performance Braid.

Favorite Leader:
Seaguar Fluorocarbon.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:54 AM

Are you talking about spinning, conventional or both?
Some lines are great on one and horrible on the other.

IMHO, PowerPro is trash on conventional, picking out a backlash for 45 minutes each time you use it is a given. On spinning it's OK although I personally don't trust it after having two spools with mystery break offs.

Stealth is horrible on spinning, too thick, prone to windknots - but it's the only stuff I'll use on conventional, backlashes pull out as easily as if it were heavy mono. As for the coating, unlike other lines the Teflon is impregnated though out, not just on the surface, which is why a backlash pull right out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2009, 10:32 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Suds-
Must be talking spin. If so I'd agree on the most part with what he's finding. Some I disagree with, Some I've not tried.

If he is talking conventional casting,, I'd really disagree much more than agree.

Like the Silver Thread -
Most of the lines I've tried really don't do so good on spin,,, But they're my favorites for Conventional (and fly leaders in upper #'s using remnants of spool fills).
Also for conv. I'm not partial to any of the braids in my hands.

And I like the trilenes in freshwater,,, not my go-to for (heavier) salt with spin or conv. gear.

Anouther thing I've found, a great line in the summer can really suck for the fall run when the temps are in a spot where there's frost in the air. By the same turnabout, that nice cold weather line,,, in the summer can feel like you're fishing with a slinky toy (tons 'o line stretch).
Old 07-13-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alewive
mono
Ande - inexpensive, but thick diameter, tends to be stiff.
Ande Pink Mono rates way over breaking strength - will pull a horse out of the water.
Trilene big game I agree it's pretty decent.
Jinkai Premium. Pricey but excellent.
Ande tournament green rated for IGFA - My favorite and go to mono always.

Leader = Ande

Flourocarbon - Seaguar only

Braids. - Sufix performance Braid - Fireline - Only
Old 07-13-2009, 01:08 PM
Gulp! smells funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
I was talking both, where it was specific I notated.

As for backlashes on the conventional, I don't often see many people mention this, but when you get a BAD backlash, don't start pulling it out, tighten your drag down all the way then thumb the spool as hard as you can while slowly reeling in for 3 or 4 turns of the reel handle. Then hit freespool and the backlash should come out nicely. For whatever reason, 90% of the time it seems to pull the loops out of the backlash, making it alot easier to take out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOATSUM View Post

Like the Silver Thread -
Most of the lines I've tried really don't do so good on spin,,, But they're my favorites for Conventional (and fly leaders in upper #'s using remnants of spool fills).
Also for conv. I'm not partial to any of the braids in my hands.

And I like the trilenes in freshwater,,, not my go-to for (heavier) salt with spin or conv. gear.
Interesting about the silver thread. I have not tried it on conventional reels. As for the Trilenes, I use them on my 8lb and 10lb rigs which i mainly only use when I have to imitate small stuff like peanut bunker or for black sea bass.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Interesting indeed.
Trilene 8-12# freshwater largemouth bass on spin in the lillies is good here.

SW Conv.-
17# Silver thread on my 6500s
30# silver thread on the 7000s
They come off the spool nicely.

SW spin -
Some assorted braids. Not really into too much spin in salt.
I carry a few spin rigs for other people mostly.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
Some lines are great on one and horrible on the other.

IMHO, PowerPro is trash on conventional, picking out a backlash for 45 minutes each time you use it is a given. On spinning it's OK although I personally don't trust it after having two spools with mystery break offs.

Stealth is horrible on spinning, too thick, prone to windknots - but it's the only stuff I'll use on conventional, backlashes pull out as easily as if it were heavy mono. As for the coating, unlike other lines the Teflon is impregnated though out, not just on the surface, which is why a backlash pull right out.
Just had the same issue with a spool of power pro 30# made me loose a bunch of crap including one of rick's slopeheads...I've used PP for the past couple of years and have no other complaints but if you leave your rig in the hot car with sun PP gets brittle and then on seemingly normal casts you break....just put fresh 40# on and problem solved. PP is certainly crappy when it comes to windnot removal!!
Old 07-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Not being sold on the Super Braid bandwagon, I still try it from time to time.
On spin,,, almost all the lines seem to suck big time when new!!!
As time goes on, they tend to get less sticky, more limp, and cast considerably further after some good solid usage. Actually seems the older the better.

Anyone else find this true with the braids on the most part?

Tried PP once, from shore. Seemed every weed in the Atlantic was magnetically drawn and stuck to the line. When stuck it was a bitch to remove. Wouldn't even slide down to a ball.

Have Fireline 30# on a spinner now. Not impressed. Seems stiff, sticky, and doesn't cast for crap.

Also have a ABU 7000 (Conv.) loaded with 65# Stealth Spiderwire for use on a short almost boat rod. Intent was fluke, eels, and trolling off the boat. Seems to do that okay. But, for the life of me I can't lob it more than 30 ft without the beginnings of a nest. Shit is stickier than snot on a door knob!
Drop it down, okay. Just don't try anything resembling a easy cast or more.
This is one of my Fall beach reels. I've another 7000 that isn't as nice running. I'm going to need to transfer the line to that soon. That'll put some less than appreciated line on the same type of reel.

There is absolutely no way I would ever intentionally use any of the braids I've tried on a conventional rig off the beach.
I think the big issue is my casting. My thumb is programed to react to the fluff coming off the reel during the cast. Braids just don't "fluff" properly! Well at least not to the way my thumb feels it.

I've also noticed that with mono types of line,, after a 1/2 hrs. use the water seems to soften and reduce the lines memory considerably. I've noticed this both conv. & spin.
If I leave the reels in the hot / dry shed for a week, upon the first use it looks like a coil spring when slack. After a 1/2 hr. it's much more softer with less coiling on slack,,, almost zero coil effect. This has a lot to do with the stretchiness feeling, and casting distance.
Likewise, If I'm going out in the morning and set the rods outside in the rodholders for the dew to act on them, I can start right off with soft, limp, less stretchy, limper line for decent cast from the get go.

That's my experiences with different fishing lines the way I use and see it.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:19 AM
Gulp! smells funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOATSUM View Post

Have Fireline 30# on a spinner now. Not impressed. Seems stiff, sticky, and doesn't cast for crap.
I would try fireline in the same line test or maybe one notch less as the mono you are substituting it for.

example, in freshwater, I jig for walleyes. I used to use 8lb mono for that, but 6lb fireline works much much better...the 6lb fireline has strength equivilant to 10lb or 12lb mono, but it fishes more like 6lb mono (despite the fact that the label says it has the diameter of 2lb mono). Just make sure you use a leader if your fishing around anything abrasive.

This June, I used 10lb fireline on a spinning rod with a 20lb flouro leader on the cape for stripers fishing with light jigs and plastics, and i did not suffer a braid failure once. Broke a few flouro leaders when I tried to horse some bigger ones in, but did not break the braid once.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:22 AM
Striper Hunter

I use the Power Pro 50# on a spinning reel and have no problems with it. I use BPS fluorocarbon 6# on my light gear...you salt guys may not use line that small....but it is the BPS XPS brand it it is everything they claim it is. I noticed that one of you uses a fluorocarbon leader. I have always thought when using braid a shock leader of mono was needed to give some flex to the line to help prevent hook pulling out. Am I wrong in that thinking?

Regards
Old 07-16-2009, 09:28 AM

Alpha it really is a myth that fluorocarbon has no stretch. It does provide some stretch. I sometimes use it in superclear water but for the most part it isnt even needed in the salt.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:42 AM
psuedo-NOOBIE

I just switched over to braid for the first time a few weeks ago. After reading a bunch of stuff here and some other reviews I decided to go with Sufix 40# and absolutely love it!!! I've got it spooled on my spinning set up with some dacron backing and about 25' of 40# Trilene BigGame as a shock leader. I snell my hooks onto about 18" of Andes 50# fluoro just in case a blue happens by. This setup cast better than I've ever did with just mono, and I can feel just about everything. Maybe it's me, but I like to have the little bit of stretch with the mono/fluoro on the end of the line. Plus the mono is a lot more forgiving on my casting finger than braid. Braid cuts deeper and I don't like the feel of wrapping my finger with a bandaid, tape, etc., always seems to fall off after a few casts anyways. And yes fluro does stretch! At least it does when I'm tightening down my snells on my hooks.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:02 PM
First Mate

I have mostly been using braid but this what I use all around

Mono
Trilene XL, XT and Big Game. I use BG to back my reel
Silver Thread

Fluoro:
Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon Pro Grade Not a big fan of Fluoro
main line but this stuff is very nice and may use again(it was
free).
P-Line Floroclear: copolymer/fluoro use in an ultralight setup and
love it. Low Memory and great all around line. Also put this on a Shimano
Chronarch baitcaster we bought for my father in law, what an awesome setup line and reel

Leader
Momoi Mono: abrasion resistance, low mem, great knots
Seaguar Fluoro: superior abrasion resistance, almost invisible
Big Game: good line can find anywhere, big stretch, strong
Ande Mono: Only when I have to

Braid
Power Pro: 1st year using it, I like it so far no problems, great strength
Fireline: Have used for years and seems to just get better. Don't get the
Crystal though

I have not tried all the stuff out there, not even close. What I have listed is what I have been using because it works for me.
For leaders I find I love the Momoi for mono, it ties great strong knots and is abrasion resistent. For Fluoro it's Seaguar it was my first fluoro and I have not changed, no reason too

I use the Power Pro 6/30 on my Abu 6600 and like it so far. The back lashes I have had were picked out easy. Even the one when my sister-in law picked up my reel and tried to cast(never used a bait caster setup), what a mess but picked out rather easy considering. I have used Fireline for years but sometimes in harder to find 300 yrd spools. It has always treated me well.

I have used Trilene mono for as long as I can remember. It was always Trilene or Stren but now just Trilene. Big Game is the Balls and has been for years

Well I think that is it. What ever anyone does-stay away from Vanish