We just might be in trouble (next year) - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Striper Information & Services > Striped Bass Fishery Conservation / Politics / Management / News > Saltwater Licence Registry links /Regulations / Laws
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Licence Registry links /Regulations / Laws State game thief and Poacher hotlines / U.S. State Trailering Laws / Registration & Guidelines / Regulations / DNRs / Wildlife fish and game / and other govermental agencies / Park service Pass / Fees / News , fishing bills, conservation, regulations pertaining to the striped bass

Old 03-14-2009, 08:47 PM
First Mate @ Ace Charters

Default We just might be in trouble (next year)

Went to a seminar today and found out five states around the area have banned the possession and use of herring. NY held out for this year....
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2009, 09:01 PM

Default Re: We just might be in trouble (next year)

Fred Lebrun just wrote an article speculating the same.

The odd thing is that there looks like there were no shortage of herring in the Hudson.

Fishermen will adjust just like they did elswhere.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:13 PM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Quote:
Fishermen will adjust just like they did elswhere.
we'll find something else that works.

But lets get this season started before we start talking about 2010 rules !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2009, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

we Will see what happends next year... Ill just make sure to fish more this year
Old 03-15-2009, 02:02 AM
Striper Hunter

Well, I guess I can enjoy one more year. Just when I started to get the hang of things. DEC will probably join the rest of the surrounding states and throw the sportsman into the mix, when we all know wer arent the problem. I am going to have a hard time this weekend at the outdoor's show. They are having two different seminars on stripper fishing....and I probably wont be able to wait until the water warms up.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:43 AM
Striper Hunter

Angry Re: We just might be in trouble (next year)

Been saying this ever since I started going to the Cape, where herring is banned as bait.
Talked to the older guys there and have observed the huge schools of herring the biologists say are not there.
see my thread on DEC changes and give DEC your comments.
Its bad enough the State proposes (read gonna happen) to increase license fees,but to limit some peoples income (netting and selling herring)
ENough of a rant for Sunday morn. I have to go to FISHING
Old 03-15-2009, 12:44 PM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Was talking with my buddy last night, even if they make big changes (and i really hope they don't), we will still be out there chasing them !!!

There will be a lot less people fishing i'm sure but the fish will still be there.

Guess we will see what happens

BB
Old 03-15-2009, 02:23 PM
Captain Booty

I can see DEC stopping the taking of herring from the creeks that they spawn in!! But if we get them from the river we should able to use them!!!
Old 03-15-2009, 02:29 PM
Official Member

STINKS rotten no good .To me catching the bait is all part of the whole river striper game. There over the top with regs gonna turn good people to bad. Anybody want to buy a scap net
Old 03-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Official Member

Lots of people still smoke herring for consumption. I am assuming that if they outlaw catching them in mass quantities they will put a limit on them for the day, such as 5 a day or something, would you still be able to use them for bait? as long as you stick to whatever the limit is.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:52 PM
First Mate

I think the difference with New York is that we don't have year long access to the herring to use as bait where as Jersey, Mass., and the others DO. It's kinda like that saying- if guns are outlawed, then only outlaws will have guns! To me, if they want to do something like that then we should have a "window" of say from April 1st to June 1st where their usage is allowed.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:04 AM
Dirty Hippie

I am going to buy a pack of "Banjo Minnows" from an Infomercial just in case...
Old 03-16-2009, 05:42 PM
Official Member

some show was on last nite they had 900,000lbs of herring in one net.I use about six a day maybe fish 20 days. Don't take me wrong nothing wrong with a man makein a liven on the sea I have no hate for them. River fishermen are just feeding the striper what they are eatin already. I can't read this thread no more gets me to steamed . Fishing is fun and it's almost time
Old 03-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Striper Hunter

Guys ,
we have to tell DEC our feelings otherwise this and other restriction will be shoved down our throats.
Hit the links at DEC fishing comment not just BS here
My other thread got 90 reads and no comments
I dont know how much easier they can make it
No 42 cent stamp , no driving just bandwidth
Old 03-25-2009, 06:32 PM
Official Member

Will the real fisherman please step forward......

All you sissy's who couldn't catch a striper if your life depended on it (without a herring that is) may soon be in for a rude awakening. Wow, you just might have to "learn how to fish" in order to land the elusive striped bass. What a bummer.

The days of sitting back, downing a few beers, and worrying about nothing but wether or not that herring on your hook is still alive may well be coming to a close. Don't get me wrong, you can still down a few beers, but with the elimination of herring, you've got to "work" to catch fish. And that's where the elimination process will come in. I love it, and the banning of herring use can't come soon enough for me..

All you old timers know the real deal. The herring population in the river has all but depleted itself. Sure, you new jacks see a lot of herring, but you dont know the difference. Years ago there were literally "zillions" of herring that migrated up the Hudson to spawn. At the end of the run, the shoreline along the village of Waterford, N.Y. used to be so innundated with dead herring that the county had to step in to help with the clean-up. Those days are long gone..... AND, to cap things off, the striper population has been deteriorating at an alarming rate the past (7) years. And not just in the "upper Hudson". I can only speculate, but Commercian Fisherman have put a serious dent in the striper population. Greed is good, but leave it to "man" to f**k things up..... What to hell, lets put it all on the table. The shad, sturgeon, and even the Blue Crab are practically on the endangered species list in the upper Hudson.

Start pumping those dumbells, and get that forearm strong. Those 10' poles get heavy after a few hundred casts with the right plug. Have a great season.....

Till the next high tide.....

Thebluesman5748