Female Type - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > South Carolina - Interior
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 08-29-2008, 01:23 AM

Smile Female Type

Hello everyone!

As my username indicates, I am Sarah and I am a Marine. A 22 year old medically retired Marine that is.

Before I joined the Marine Corps I was really busy and always in a rush. I went to school, played basketball, cheered, was active in my church youth group, did some hair modeling, waitressed every single day, and exercised every morning and evening. I was always on the go so I didn't have much time to fish but I did enjoy it on the rare oppurtunities that I got.

After earning the title United States Marine in June of 2004, I was sent to MCT and then to Redstone, AL to train to be an Ammo Tech. While I was there we got to do some really cool stuff... like BLOW THINGS UP!

On August 1, 2004 I hit the rack and slept until reveille at 0530, feeling absolutely wonderful. By 0535 we were to be in formation for morning PT. After our motivational run and Marine Corps exercises, we quickly showered up, changed over, and returned to formation for a promotion ceremony.

During the ceremony I started to feel a lot of weird symptoms. My head was pounding, sweat poured down my back and face, I felt hot flashes and cold chills, I was really nauseous, and my vision was doing silly things to me. Yeap... I was about to pass out. I started moving my knees slightly making sure no one would notice and just prayed that the Major would hurry up and give us the order of fall out. Just as he was about to sound off "Fall Out!" I literally fell out. I really felt like that smiley.

When I came to, the other Marines were gathering around me and one tried picking me up. I slipped off again. Next thing I remembered was my Plt Sgt carrying me inside to the air conditioned company office where I was given some cold water. We brushed the incident off as me locking my knees out, being over heated, being dehydrated, or having a low blood sugar level since we had not had morning chow yet.

Boy were we ever wrong! Over night my life had changed drastically but none of us knew it yet.

It took a year, several hospitalization across the east coast, over 400 syncopal episodes, one "close call," and being bedridden/wheelchair bound for several months before I was finally sent to Bethesda's National Naval Medical Center where I was diagnosed with dysautonomia. At first the Navy thought I was just making it up and faking it but the Marines that I served with knew something really was wrong with me. While standing in my Plt Cmdr's office giving him information on another Marine, I fainted. I hit his desk with only my head and pushed it over a couple of inches. He and the SSgt standing next me knew beyond any doubt at that point it was serious. I still put forth the effort in everything that I did. In fact the last PFT that I ran in I scored a 257 which is still a first class PFT. What is so impressive about that? I fainted on the run. That's right I took a nap but still finished it. Marines reading, if you can't preform better than that... this is me laughing at you. Before I started fainting I had a 295 PFT. I was like a mascot/ motivator to teach the other Marines to keep going and persevere no matter what. Adapt and Overcome!

They said that my dysautonomia is most likely due to some sort of chemical or toxin exposure while I was on active duty. There is no cure and all of the known treatments available made my condition worse or I ended up being allergic. What helps one person with dysautonomia, might actually make another patient worse.

Dysautonomia literally means dysregulation of the Autonomic Nervous System. That means everything that your body automatically does for you, mine doesn't do correctly anymore. My heart rate, blood pressure, respiration, digestion, dialation and constriction of blood vessels and pupils, etc.

Why I am I telling you all of this?

One- to spread awareness because there are so few people, including doctors, who even know what these conditions are. I even created a nonprofit organization to do so.

Two-
I love to go camping and fishing! Obviously I have obstacles that I have to adapt to and overcome and I would like to gather advice from you all. My conditions affect how I can fish and where. I don't want to faint and drown easily. LOL. I need to be sitting mostly.

Three-
I really need help. Lol. I still categorize my fishing gear by its pretty colors, fuzzies, shiny thing a miggers, etc. I hit my head all of the time and sometimes have a hard time remembering things. Brain fog is a definate symptom. I am definately a girly tomboy too. lol.

Four-
Has it inspired you any? Lol. Instead of letting my conditions get to me- I still get up and go out and do what I enjoy doing. I just adapt and overcome to the best of my ability. I will never give up! I love a good challenge which is why I joined the Marine Corps in the first place. Through it all I think of having dysautonomia as a blessing because it has taught me so much and I have met truly remarkable people along the way! I have been able to broaden my horizons in ways that I would have never imagined!

I am house bound most of the time. Some days I am bed bound, some wheelchair bound, and others I can do a little bit but not too much. Simple things zap my energy. I am no longer able to drive, work, or even go back to school. I depend on others to take me here there and everywhere. It has been hard for me to find someone to take me fishing but hopefully that will change soon. I am very optimistic. LOL. I don't know if anyone in the South Carolina area knows of any clubs or anything like that in which I could join or not but I think that would be fun and hopefully I could met some really cool friends! I was real easy to do that in the Corps. I miss it!

I mostly use live bait because that saves me a lot of energy and its cheap too as I can catch my own live bait. Any tips are welcome! I do not know very much about what kind of rod and reel is best to use for different types of fish. Right now I am using an ugly stick with an open face reel and spider wire. I gar fish too and the spider wire works well for me. I will be happy with anything that hooks itself on my hook but I aim for gar, catfish, and any and all types of bass. The only unwelcome things are limb bream (sticks) and grass bass (weeds).

I think this site and forum are excellent. I have been reading through your posts and I found the webpage to be very beneficial. I thank all of you for everything and for being a part of my "broadening my horizons" part of life!

If you are still awake after the long post... I wish you Happy Fishing!

Semper Fi
Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2008, 05:52 AM

Default Re: Female Type

A huge thank you to you for your service to our country.
I wish i was in SC - I'd take you out fishing with me anytime.
That is a very inspiring and touching first post Sarah!!
Hope the prognosis and the treatment goes well.
Welcome aboard.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:23 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

if i had any humility i just lost it. again, welcome and chin up! we will look forward to your posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Veteran Striper Chaser

Sarah Thank you,thank you for your service. As the father of five daughters GIRLS ARE BEST.I pray you find a crew to fish with down there. Catch a big one
Old 08-29-2008, 09:47 PM

Sarah;
Through the Pm conversations we had trying to get you aboard, I was fortunate enough to get to know you first. I am honored. For more than one reason, that being our beloved Corps.
You are the anomoly in todays society. You place no blame, and make no excuses. You step out and march on. I know way too many youngsters in this United States of ours, that cry, piss and moan about what they do not get. Unwilling and unable to suck it up and earn the path they want to travel.
I have travelled a path, land mined, and ambushed. I am humbled by your story.
I can not read it without welling up. Not with pity, but with admiration.
If I have put words to this site that find a way to add ease to your burden, I will be forever proud.
Semper Fidelis, can only be understood by the likes of you and I and a multitude of persons with the honor of wearing the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor. Somehow, at this time and place, for the first time in my life, it just doesn't say enough.
From this old broke down Jarhead to another, I say in a loud and clear voice;
THANK YOU

Oh yeah, one more thing, other than 1200 yard head shots, blowin shit up was like a hobby for me.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:33 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahusmc View Post
Hello everyone!

As my username indicates, I am Sarah and I am a Marine. A 22 year old medically retired Marine that is.

Boy were we ever wrong! Over night my life had changed drastically but none of us knew it yet.

... What is so impressive about that? I fainted on the run. That's right I took a nap but still finished it. Marines reading, if you can't preform better than that... this is me laughing at you. Before I started fainting I had a 295 PFT. I was like a mascot/ motivator to teach the other Marines to keep going and persevere no matter what. Adapt and Overcome!

They said that my dysautonomia is most likely due to some sort of chemical or toxin exposure while I was on active duty. There is no cure and all of the known treatments available made my condition worse or I ended up being allergic. What helps one person with dysautonomia, might actually make another patient worse.

Dysautonomia literally means dysregulation of the Autonomic Nervous System. That means everything that your body automatically does for you, mine doesn't do correctly anymore. My heart rate, blood pressure, respiration, digestion, dialation and constriction of blood vessels and pupils, etc.

Why I am I telling you all of this?

One- to spread awareness because there are so few people, including doctors, who even know what these conditions are. I even created a nonprofit organization to do so.

Two-
I love to go camping and fishing! Obviously I have obstacles that I have to adapt to and overcome and I would like to gather advice from you all. My conditions affect how I can fish and where. I don't want to faint and drown easily. LOL. I need to be sitting mostly.

Three-
I really need help. Lol. I still categorize my fishing gear by its pretty colors, fuzzies, shiny thing a miggers, etc. I hit my head all of the time and sometimes have a hard time remembering things. Brain fog is a definate symptom. I am definately a girly tomboy too. lol.

Four-
Has it inspired you any? Lol. Instead of letting my conditions get to me- I still get up and go out and do what I enjoy doing. I just adapt and overcome to the best of my ability. I will never give up! I love a good challenge which is why I joined the Marine Corps in the first place. Through it all I think of having dysautonomia as a blessing because it has taught me so much and I have met truly remarkable people along the way! I have been able to broaden my horizons in ways that I would have never imagined!

I am house bound most of the time. Some days I am bed bound, some wheelchair bound, and others I can do a little bit but not too much. Simple things zap my energy. I am no longer able to drive, work, or even go back to school. I depend on others to take me here there and everywhere. It has been hard for me to find someone to take me fishing but hopefully that will change soon. I am very optimistic. LOL. I don't know if anyone in the South Carolina area knows of any clubs or anything like that in which I could join or not but I think that would be fun and hopefully I could met some really cool friends! I was real easy to do that in the Corps. I miss it!

Right now I am using an ugly stick with an open face reel and spider wire. I gar fish too and the spider wire works well for me. I will be happy with anything that hooks itself on my hook but I aim for gar, catfish, and any and all types of bass. The only unwelcome things are limb bream (sticks) and grass bass (weeds).

I think this site and forum are excellent. I have been reading through your posts and I found the webpage to be very beneficial. I thank all of you for everything and for being a part of my "broadening my horizons" part of life!

If you are still awake after the long post... I wish you Happy Fishing!

Semper Fi
Sarah

wow, I'm speechless, and as zimno said, humbled.

We think about how bad our lives are when going through troubled times. Yet, we don't always see how much difficult we could have it. I think you provided that perspective to us here, and inspired me by your amazingly positive attitude.

Thank you so much for your service to our country. I pray that your condition improves, if even a little, though from what you said it will be a struggle. It seems you have what it takes to deal with whatever life throws your way.

I know some people your age and younger who whine about that they don't have all the time, or can't decide if they will buy the 2nd or third VS, very self-centered. Your story is an inspiration and model for others who look at the glass as being half-empty.

The ugly stik you are using is fine, I'm assuming you are fishing the piers that are all over the place down in SC. You probably know that the best time to spend out there is when certain species of fish are running. Get yourself connected at some piers, and people will help you. Your bubbly personality here indicates you probably don't have much trouble making new friends.

There is another program called "take a soldier fishing" . It was started by barrell, a guy on another site. I think you def qualify, and might be able to make some connects through that.

Thank you again for your story, Sarah,you made my day. Welcome, hope you have fun here, we'll try to help however we can.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
A huge thank you to you for your service to our country.
I wish i was in SC - I'd take you out fishing with me anytime.
That is a very inspiring and touching first post Sarah!!
Hope the prognosis and the treatment goes well.
Welcome aboard.
Thank you! My mom has been looking for people that work with her that like to fish and she has asked several if they would mind taking me over the summer. One of the guys did take me fishing last night. He doesn't know much about fishing but he does jug fish when he has someone to go with. So yesterday we spent the day making up 50 jugs made out of PVC pipes and then spent the time fishing them. We caught the largest catfish I have ever seen come out of the lake. I know there are more that are much larger but it was the largest I had seen. It was a lot of fun! I don't know how many total that we caught but it was a cooler full!

I would love to get to go fishing you! Yesterday I also went to town and bought a new fishing pole and reel to try out for stripers. I don't know much about them so I was just advice from the other customers that said they fish for them. I really would like to learn everything about them that I can!

I was wondering if it was too long of a post. lol. I know it is mostly guys on here and I wasn't sure how much reading you all would like to do. Most of the posts I have seen were really short.

Thank you for the well wishes on the prognosis and treatments. The doctors pretty much just tell me to go home and learn how to deal with... that is exactly what I am doing!

Wishing you all the best!
Sarah
Old 08-30-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
if i had any humility i just lost it. again, welcome and chin up! we will look forward to your posts.
Thank you!
Old 08-30-2008, 03:20 PM

Sarah there are a ton of striper clubs in SC as well as catfish guys. And Im sure many women as well. Ill list the clubs near by you. We have members that belong to these clubs.
What lake is closest?
J Strom Thurmond Lake, Lake Greenwood, Lake Hartwell, Lake Jocassee, Lake Keowee, Lake Marion, Lake Moultrie, Lake Murray, Lake Russell, Lake Secession, Lake Wateree, Lake Wylie.
We have a bunch of members from all of these lakes and some of the clubs.
You kind of have to be careful whom you meet on the net but the clubs are great and well respected.

Greenville Striper Kings
Midlands Striper Club
Clarks Hill Striper Club Augusta Georgia and South Carolina area
Apalachian Striper Club Hartwell Georgia
There was a club called the Coosa Basin Striper Club but there links are defunct. So I dont know if the club still exists.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:51 PM
(formerly brian21johansen)

Welcome aboard Sarah, I've already talked to you through the PM thing but just wanted to make it official here.

Semper Fidelis
Old 08-30-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
wow, I'm speechless, and as zimno said, humbled.

We think about how bad our lives are when going through troubled times. Yet, we don't always see how much difficult we could have it. I think you provided that perspective to us here, and inspired me by your amazingly positive attitude.

Thank you so much for your service to our country. I pray that your condition improves, if even a little, though from what you said it will be a struggle. It seems you have what it takes to deal with whatever life throws your way.

I know some people your age and younger who whine about that they don't have all the time, or can't decide if they will buy the 2nd or third VS, very self-centered. Your story is an inspiration and model for others who look at the glass as being half-empty.

The ugly stik you are using is fine, I'm assuming you are fishing the piers that are all over the place down in SC. You probably know that the best time to spend out there is when certain species of fish are running. Get yourself connected at some piers, and people will help you. Your bubbly personality here indicates you probably don't have much trouble making new friends.

There is another program called "take a soldier fishing" . It was started by barrell, a guy on another site. I think you def qualify, and might be able to make some connects through that.

Thank you again for your story, Sarah,you made my day. Welcome, hope you have fun here, we'll try to help however we can.
I was trying to post earlier and something happened to my internet so I decided to just go back to sleep for a little bit.

Thank you for everything! I do get upset when I hear others complaining or being selfish but I try to bite my tongue or think of something tactful to say to them. I usually fish off of a privately owned pier on Lake Greenwood. I also have tires out there. I have been in a boat fishing a few times (on my list of things to get one day ) and I go to the Saluda River sometimes too. I will fish anywhere that I can though. I really do hope to meet others out there that like to fish. As far as making friends... I haven't met a stranger yet!

I will most definately be looking into the "take a soldier fishing" program!

I appreciate everything!
Old 08-30-2008, 08:31 PM

OORAH MARINES! Thank you both for everything! Semper Fidelis!
Old 08-30-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
Sarah Thank you,thank you for your service. As the father of five daughters GIRLS ARE BEST.I pray you find a crew to fish with down there. Catch a big one
Thank you! I will post pics when I do get a big one!
Old 08-31-2008, 12:01 AM
Striper Hunter

Welcome aboard kiddo. I can't thank you enough for putting your life on the line. I had both of my children read your post to see that there are real people out there providing them with the very freedom they enjoy. They were touched! I hope all works out well with your health. Things are lookin up your fishin..........
Old 08-31-2008, 01:55 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

Hi Sarah, and welcome. One never knows what course we will be traveling from day to day. We can plan a course, but there are always obstacles along the way. I believe these obstacles, are our life lessons, and as we learn to deal, and cope with the situations life hands us, we are molded into the creations the Good Lord had intended us to be.
I believe there is a a strong testimony, in your experience. Thank you for sharing that with us.
Thank you for serving this wonderful country of our's.
And God Bless you on your future endeavour.