I'm about at my wits end........ - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Around The Woodstove > The Lounge
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Lounge Off-topic discussion here. Non-fishing related chit chat & banter. No Divisive subject matter - No Viscious Political and Religious debates please.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:56 PM
Young salt

Default I'm about at my wits end........

Just got back from a week+ vacation of which I did nothing but fish and fish hard. I did quite well down the Cape (Barnstable Harbor) and my uncle and I landed more fish in one day (in a boat) then I've seen caught all season here in Maine. My buddy I work with, who is an avid striper fisherman, caught his first of the season last night. Nothing special size wise, just shy of 26" but big enough for the grill. The guy I fish regularly with is ALWAYS well over 100 fish by this time of year and though I haven't spoken with him in a few days, at last check he hadn't landed # 30 yet. So anyway, I returned home from the Cape Sunday night weary and sun baked after being out on the boat the day before. My plan was to go down to the local tackle shop and grab some bait to be ready for the next morning's tide which I believe was 7:30 a.m. Long story short, I fished in various different spots, lure, baits etc, twice a day on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday and once Thursday and Sunday.....not one stinkin fish to show for it. To say that I'm beyond frustrated would be an understatement....as a matter of fact I contemplated calling it a season after striking out for the final time on Sunday. And I know, I know, before you even say it, do me a favor and save the "Oh ya just have to put your time in" and "Be patient, it will happen" 'cause believe me I've done both and STILL haven't had luck up here since mid June/early July. And by 'not much luck' I mean more times than not, FAR more times than not without so much as getting a nibble, let alone a fish. I'm just stumped, here it is August 5th, the time things should REALLY be heating up and hordes of fish should be beached, yet it's just the opposite. All I keep hearing is don't worry, they're just late this year, they'll be here.....but the way I see by the time they get here, IF they even do, they'll be turning around headed for warmer waters. I'm left shaking my head and trying not to be frustrated enough to call it quits but when is enough, enough? How much $$ can one spend before they just say ya know what, there's always next year??? Ok guys sorry for the rant but I figured if ever there were a place to air it all out, this was it. Thanks for the eyes and ears, hope ya'll are having better luck wherever you are.

StriperHyper ~ Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Veteran Elite

Default Re: I'm about at my wits end........

Head to Canada Will. They didn't turn left to Maine on their Northern migration. We got that gathering this weekend at The Bay that's where their at. My friend on the Kennebec hasn't been catching either. Doesn't look good for Maine this year.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:52 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

with your water temp at the portsmouth buoy at ab avg, 70 degrees all last week shore sea surface temps musta been at the least 75 or above. not good in the daylight hours thats for sure. even at night the cruisers will have found bait further out and clung to the balls of bait for all they were worth,. your water is cooling off now so since i have nothing better to do i will keep an eye out on conditions and update if it cools off as i predict it will/ christ, fishing has not been good up there since the weekend before this past like the 25th 26th. as far as i can see in the charts. would have definately had to go out in a boat last week. barometer steady and below anything i would venture out in the surf for.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2008, 10:57 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

Don't get discouraged my friend, it's just a different season as seasons go.
It hasn't been a bountiful season, from what I can see, at usually productive haunts.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:01 AM

look at it this way...you did catch fish this season. might not of been home, but you caught something. which is more than what i could say for myself. because i have caught nothing but schoolies, and not many of them..
Old 08-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Young salt

Yeah u guys are right, and admitedly after a few days of not fishing, I'm ready to get out again. It's been very off and on this season, mostly off, but one never knows........that's why they call it fishing and not catching I suppose? Slow periods are inevitable, and surely there's not one among us who hasn't been skunked a day or two in a row, but fishing heavy for an entire week without a fish can be discouraging. The feeling's since past though and I can't wait for the weekend to try my luck again. Good luck fella's, hit 'em hard!!!

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 08-07-2008, 12:55 PM
LunkerSpunker

I would not say your doing any different than alot of surf casters at this time of year. The summer are dog days where the fish will be lazy and down deep to stay cool. I really don't think its you. I have been skunked a few times in the past few weeks as well. My biggest fish were taken this spring and since its been a lot of shorts, albeit those shorts are getting bigger each week. The last two times I've been out I got skunked at some productive spots, but I only blame the fact that it is August and the dog days of summer. Hang in there, wait til the fall before you make up your mind.

After typing this I realized that you are in Maine and that the fall run my not exist for you folks up there and that August may just be the hottest time....sorry I don't know that area, but I still think you should hang in there. I frequent a particular spot because of its ease to surf from shore. I catch mostly shorts there but its fun. I know that the fact that I'm not catching larger fish is because I don't seek them out harder. What I'm saying is if you fish the same spots and are getting nothing, pound some ground but don't quit. I've been thinkin about expanding my horizons and going after some black sea bass or tautog during the next few weeks of dog days just to get something on the line when I hit the shore.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:35 PM
retired pirate

maine usually has a great fall run its by far the best fishing of the year during september and the beginning of october. this has been a tough season though no doubt about it. i've probably got around 60 fish total and 3 big cows, but i go just about every night at the right spots using the right stuff, so that isn't much. last summer / fall i would sometimes catch 20-30 fish in 2 hours rather than 2 months. i'm hoping it gets better soon. i've been skunked about 6 or 7 out of the last 10 times that i have been out.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:57 AM
Reports and Info Dude
Got a Little Captain in you?

Stripers really are the ones that got away this year
Link

The bass lingered south of Maine, frustrating fishermen who yearly spend up to $30 million here.
Click here to see an interactive map of striper spots between Portland and Biddeford.
By JOHN RICHARDSON, Staff Writer August 26, 2008

SCARBOROUGH — Striped bass fishing this summer along the Maine coast has been the worst in memory, according to anglers, guides and state officials.
No one knows why, although stripers seem to have delayed or skipped their trip to the Gulf of Maine this year because of ideal conditions to the south, they say.
What is clear is that a bad catch of Maine's most valuable saltwater game fish does more than make fishermen complain. Guides and bait and tackle dealers have seen business drop significantly during a summer that has also been marred by rain, high fuel prices and a weak economy.
"It's been way off. This is the worst year I ever remember," said Bruce Burton of South Portland as he geared up to fish last week off Ferry Beach at the mouth of the Scarborough River.
Burton is going on more than memory. A prolific striper fisherman, he's been keeping count of his catches since he started as a kid 45 years ago.
In a good summer, Burton said, he would have caught hundreds of fish by now. "This year, I've had 21."
Estimates of the summer's striper catch in Maine are not yet complete, although the decline is clear in early season numbers.
Maine's estimated recreational catch in May and June dropped from 25,472 last year to 10,350 this year, according to National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration data. Maine does not allow commercial fishing for stripers.
The state has about 140 licensed guides, and they usually spend the summer taking customers from all over the country to catch striped bass around the mouths of rivers such as the Kennebec.
"I've been at this 14 years, and this is by far the worst summer I've ever experienced," said Robin Thayer, a guide from Durham. "In fact, today I took people pike fishing. I've been skunked fishing more times this year than I have in the last three years combined."
Thayer and other guides say they have been warning customers that the fishing is slow and have seen a big drop in business. She has guided about 12 trips this summer, compared with 40 by now in a more typical summer. Guides typically get $300 to $400 for a trip.
"I've actually gone and picked up a part-time job this year to supplement my income," Thayer said. "It's not something I would ever have envisioned."
Recreational coastal anglers – the vast majority of whom go after striped bass – spend $25 million to $30 million in a typical summer on everything from gasoline to bait and artificial lures, according to Bruce Joule, marine recreational fisheries coordinator for the Maine Department of Marine Resources. The numbers, which are based on an annual survey of anglers, are not yet available for this summer but are expected to be lower.
There are many theories about what's causing the slow fishing season, but no certain answers.
Scientists are confident that the striped bass population that migrates up and down the East Coast is healthy. Although somewhat smaller in recent years, the striped bass population is not overfished, according to scientists with the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission.
Anglers and state officials say most of the fish appear to have stayed south of Cape Cod, where the water has remained unusually cool and there is an uncommon abundance of small fish to eat. Usually, the fish come to Maine to find cool water and food.
"What everybody's thinking is that the stripers didn't have a need to move north this year," said David Pecci, a guide from Bath. "With the combination of rainy, cool weather and a tremendous amount of bait fish to the south, they're just going to go wherever the all-night buffet is."
Because there also are so many small fish along the Maine coast this summer – including huge schools of menhaden – that the stripers that did come north are pretty fat and happy, he said, so they're not easy to
catch.
Fishermen, however, are optimists by nature and are not ready to give up. The late summer and fall can be rich with stripers.
"The best part of the season is the next three weeks," said Dana Eastman, owner of The Tackle Shop in Portland and a part-time guide.
There were some reports late last week of improved striper fishing, although it was too soon to call it a turnaround, Joule said. A run of bluefish along some parts of the coast was helping to keep anglers busy.
Burton, the fisherman from South Portland, set out Friday morning with a fly rod to cast into a channel of the Scarborough River where, he hoped, stripers would follow the outgoing tide. "It'll be perfect," he said.
About an hour later, he had caught and released a 20-inch striper – No. 22 for the season.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Internet Academy

The surf fishing is not even close to what it normally is everywhere. For the past few years the weather pattern as not been the same we hardly get any snow in the winter (RI) we really don't have a Spring, and not much of a Fall pattern neither, and its getting worst every year (weather patterns) And some people say they don't believe in Global warming, well I do because I see it happening with my own eyes, and apparently the fish are feeling it for sure.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:45 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

it has been the most bunker i have seen in recent spring runs to date. the whole month of august was a bad weather pattern and there really wasn;t anything you could do about it. the fish just never got to go where they wanted as they were in a holding pattern. it was not global warming (but the el nino that may or may not be effected by global warming but that is way too distant to happen) and not bait abundance and water temperature did factor in with the reluctance to go to desired destinations. these fish are going to be where they are going to be when conditions are conducive for them to be there and this season i saw first hand that up until the end of august the water atmospere and air pressure was unlike any subsequent year in a long time. i went back to the last few years as i thought it was always this way but not true. if anyone thinks these fish don;t get effected by the water and air pressure then talk to the hand cause i told you sunday past was gonna be the best day to fish since the weekend changed the pattern. i think i saw some life on the board that day by coalman. i said it time and time again that fishing false dawn to dawn may have been the only shot at fish you could have as if they were going to move in that is when and right out they will go. everyone has a theory and not everyone can boast the reality of that theory (especially me) but after a few years of doing this i can say i saved a whole lot of time/money and headaches and dissappointment by watching the summer weather patterns and learning what these fish may or may not do on any given week (in this case, months).

Old 08-28-2008, 05:26 PM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
these fish are going to be where they are going to be when conditions are conducive for them to be there
If this ain't a Maddenism, like the ever popular "Usually, the team with the most points at the end....wins the game" I don't know what is!!!

StriperHyper ~ Will

All in good fun zim, just bustin balls. . . . . .
Old 08-28-2008, 05:54 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

yea, like "if you can't figure out the B-hole then respond to the A-hole

Old 08-28-2008, 06:09 PM
Young salt

Errrr never heard that one, but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess I'M the a-hole????
Old 08-28-2008, 06:21 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

he actually said that the other day, well i put my spin on it. and you are being way too down on yourself. however, i commend you on figuring it out