What Would You Change About the Gatherings? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:59 PM
First Mate

Default What Would You Change About the Gatherings?

OK guys I know I will get the same responses from everyone... "More fish, More People" But seriously, for those who have attended one (or more) of these things what would you like to see change? The Gunny and I have a ton of thoughts that he's trying to put into place, but what are your ideas and or suggestions? How do we make these more user friendly to attract the maximum amount of members?

Bryan
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2008, 12:05 AM

Default Re: What Would You Change About the Gatherings?

If I give you a plug, will you be my Friend?
Old 04-28-2008, 12:11 AM
First Mate

Its gonna take a lot more than a plug... but plug giveaways are a great idea... I think I might know of someone...
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2008, 02:30 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

absolutely nothing. as time goes on it will be out of control.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:47 AM

I hope, as time goes on, more members will realize what they're missing out on and become more active. Gunny has done an excellent job with them. Not sure what else we can offer that what is on the menu for this year already.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:51 AM
First Mate

I agree with Zim. I've been dying to go to one of these gatherings but something always seems to come up. Keep having them. Keep posting the pics and believe If you build it, they will come
Old 04-28-2008, 09:59 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

the gatherings ive been too were perfect just the way they were...and im sure the future ones will be grand as well. there really isnt much about them that can be changed...other than the amount of fish caught and number of people who show up. theres always been plenty of food, prizes, learning, and good old fashioned good times.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Banned

I don't think anything needs to really be changed, if certain members don't want to take the time to make it to one then what can you do. There is a core group of guys that are extreemly passionate about this, and I think its nice for it to stay the way it is.

Newer members comming would be nice but they will choose that on their own. I am sure however, that if many fish are caught during a gathering more will show up.

With time they will grow.

Otherwise, I think the person running the show is doing a fine job.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:59 PM

The logistics may be difficult if it gets too big. It will have to be in the form of seminars and tournaments in several locations then.
The informal blackboard stuff would take on a whole new look.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:20 AM
Banned

I agree Jim. Seems like its a bell curve type deal. Not enough people and the gatherings are not really gatherings to many people and its just a mob. Like I said there will always be the core group of guys that have been to the first couple of gatherings and will continue going until they can't walk anymore...
Old 04-30-2008, 07:52 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon006 View Post
,,,,,,,,,,,,, been to the first couple of gatherings and will continue going until they can't walk anymore...
Hmmmm,,,
Think I should make a post in the Father's Day Eve thread.

Anyways, I think, from my armchair position, with the variety of these outings there is something for everyone at least for one outing per year (if not more).
Perhaps some have taken the "wait & see" approach to last year's, and are thinking if they do it again this year, I'm in. Guess one never knows.
From what I'm seeing and hearing,,, for a bunch of guys that just get together from a internet site,,, things are doing much better than most would ever expect.
Been to a couple from other sites and by far these are the best ones for fishermen of all I've seen. Most are just get-togethers to slop beers, gulp food and tell lies. We do that too,,, but we also fish! (or try to)

Having high expectations for this year,,,,,, Carry-on.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:26 PM
First Mate

for me there's nothing that can be done to make these better- no prizes- no give aways- none of that crap is gonna make it better. in my mind that stuff just attracts the wrong kind of element- guys we'll never see again if the prize don't fit their expectations- f-em.
last years rhody was my first and it was perfect- met a great group of guys and didn't care if there was more.but then there was the cape and zim showed his ugly mug and mully and colad- and the guys (my bad on the names) that showed in maine, and then khary and plugger in montauk. you see the theme here? these things have continued to grow at a pace i think is just right and the only rewards have been good times,good fishing (if not always good catching) and good people. i have yet to meet anyone at a gathering that i thought to myself, f that guy what a jerk.
got to be there for your first bryan, and smu's first keeper and roc launching plugs to newport, skunks stalking fishermen in the dark, pouring rain and stephanie abrams calling me personally with a montauk weather reports, mass record skates. and you want prizes- how about the old school a-40 roc built and gave striperjim, or the 4290's that jim has genrously passed around. how bout the knowledge and help passed around by roc, gunny, briggs, and others. jacob offering tryouts in his yak i could go on but you guys get the picture. in the short time i've been around we've had large gatherings like last years rhody andsmall like montauk and staten island (that's proof we're not all nuts) and they've all been great and every time a few more good people get added to the mix- that's a friggin reward- look at the pics- see anyone not enjoying themselves? is the fishing not good enough? i say as we learn these spots and the folks we fish with the fishing will be better too.
guys will make it when they can and nothing can change that.

i say relax have more gatherings and they will be what they are- great times
and that will atract others to find the time to make it!

man in one year i got memories and freinds to last a lifetime and pretty good prospects for more!!! and you think this can be improved on?

ok- maybe one suggestion- maybe once a year when the weather is nice have just a cookout get together don't have to be fishing- more of a family gathering with all the wives girlfriends kids dogs (yes zim farm animals too) you know in a kid and nonfisherman (wife?)freindly place. don't have specific spot in mind just an idea.

that's it i'm done!
Old 05-14-2008, 06:56 PM

I would like to see an increase in female participation at the gatherings. I understand that the gatherings are great opportunity for the GUYS to gather, exchange wisdom, talk shop and fish ... but, I would honestly like to see more serious female anglers seize the opportunity.

Don't get me wrong - You have all been beyond kind, patient, and welcoming thus far - I thank you for all that you have taught me. I just don't want anyone to think that I am trying to break up the man-party by tagging along ... I REALLY LOVE FISHING!

If anyone out there is, or knows of any women anglers - they are wanted at the gatherings!!!

Old 05-14-2008, 07:01 PM

scone, i'm with you about the cookout ... I know that COLAD and I would love to host a cookout for the extended fishing family!
Old 05-15-2008, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieggy View Post
I would like to see an increase in female participation at the gatherings.
Hey Jess, you can hang out with my wife, Rachael, at the Rhodie gathering this weekend. Maybe you'll rub off on her I don't think she's ever made a cast,,, though she's talked about wanting to try fly fishing....