The Saltwater License and why its coming. - Page 3 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Striper Information & Services > Striped Bass Fishery Conservation / Politics / Management / News > Saltwater Licence Registry links /Regulations / Laws
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Licence Registry links /Regulations / Laws State game thief and Poacher hotlines / U.S. State Trailering Laws / Registration & Guidelines / Regulations / DNRs / Wildlife fish and game / and other govermental agencies / Park service Pass / Fees / News , fishing bills, conservation, regulations pertaining to the striped bass

Old 07-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Official Member

Default Re: The Saltwater License and why its coming.

You can say whatever you want to about the new law's, But they affect us all in one way.
To me it's just one more thing that was free.
And the shark's of congress have figured out another way to shake more money out of us, and packaged it to get us to agree with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

the package is well thought out however, the agreement part is far from true. not one soul i know wants it. it is a pebble in the shoe. it is tolerable for a little while then gets annoying, only this one ya cannot get rid of. it will just annoy you every so often when you see lawbreakers fishing and nothing is getting done about it. money being spent foolishly for shart for brains surveys which are bogus and halfarsed at best. and get ready to change over to circle hooks as this will be the application for targeting certain species/ can i go on? yes, but why? i am for it as i believe there will be a better fishery out of it as texas gulf has flourished as a result and the comm's are out of the gulf in large numbers. we shall see as it has to be/

Old 07-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
the package is well thought out however, the agreement part is far from true. not one soul i know wants it. it is a pebble in the shoe. it is tolerable for a little while then gets annoying, only this one ya cannot get rid of. it will just annoy you every so often when you see lawbreakers fishing and nothing is getting done about it. money being spent foolishly for shart for brains surveys which are bogus and halfarsed at best. and get ready to change over to circle hooks as this will be the application for targeting certain species/ can i go on? yes, but why? i am for it as i believe there will be a better fishery out of it as texas gulf has flourished as a result and the comm's are out of the gulf in large numbers. we shall see as it has to be/
I'm not sure I agree with you on that as most states that have had a license are seeing the same lame management that we're dealing with now. They have the same councils, using the same data, resulting in shorter seasons and and stricter limits for all anglers. in CA they're loosing much of their fishing grounds to MPA's now, and FL recs are taking a serious reduction in Grouper this year.

Another thing to consider is that we're being taxed in one of the worst economies we've seen in a while. I fish from a boat 3-5 times a week and in most cases this year I'm the only one out there. The combination of $5.25 a gallon at the dock and increased size limits are having a severe impact on our great sport, and a license will be the death of many in the sportfishing industry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2008, 09:15 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

a license will be the death of many in the sportfishing industry.

who? please elaborate.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Official Member

States that have implemented a saltwater license have all seen reduced participation in the beginning. Some states, actually saw a 50% reduction in participation the first year. Sure some of that is people unaware of it, and over time license numbers increase, but in this economic climate many of the mom and pop tackle shops simply cannot afford to loose the casual angler. And they will be the slowest to adapt to paying for something they have always gotten free.

The fact is we're getting one, whether we like it or not, but the timing couldn't be worse for this struggling industry.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:03 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

What would happen if everyone refused to play along and didn't get a permit.
At first I'm sure there would be "citations",,, but after the courts got choked up with misdemeaners you think they'd learn?

Hmmm,, side thought -
Since it would be a federal law,,, if caught without would it be a felony?
Felony (conviction) means no hunting (guns), blockages to many jobs, etc.
Seems crazy,,, but probable?

Obviously, they know what the problem is with the fishery.
They just don't want to deal with it appropriately, never did.
Permits is just anouther smoke sceen. Later they'll say," we tried, look at what happened."
As mentioned before. Stripers came back with the moritorium. Co-operation of Americans. Not by taxation. And it worked.

Unite,,,, and boycott the poly-ticians.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:36 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

the mom and pop tackle shops really can do without the CASUAL fisherman but most of the shops income comes from us local regulars and people with kids wanting to start out. these and casual fishermen will conform to whatever it takes to get the kids out fishing and most of the casual fishermen who do buy a license will probably fish more often then not as a (what did i buy this stinken license for anyway) attitude surely will bring them into the tackle shop more often then before. the thing i agree with most people is the compliance of it all. just not enough enforcement (enough for dec to get quotas i;m sure) but night fishing is where most of your poaching is prevalent and enforcement is a non-factor as i have witnessed. so yea, we have some really tough issues to contend with but the fishery is being raped and as responsible stewards of our own fisheries we have to agree that something as drastic could improve the fishery in what minute way as it can. there has never been any other way but a moratorium on a specific species that worked, so to save an industry from ruin is to attempt to secure it;s future with some sense of control and accountability ("however minuscule and supposedly tried and true in other states say may have worked"). control may be a harsh word but as a state license it could be tolerable/ a fed. licence would assuredly be a debacle/ i am not totally for this but i am totally aware of my surroundings and responsibility to my community and fishery. (very few percentage of people fishing off the beach here share my views and concerns) so i feel my hands are tied and i have to view any intervention on behalf of a chaotic, run-a-muck wanna-be sportfishing community which is global at this point a positive and not a negative. won;t fix everything but if we can clarify the pro's and con's and work on them as a whole it is possible to weed out a small percentage of riff raff. since it is inevitable i feel we should be implementing our own views into the scenario - begin to question/condemn/or approve of the set of laws to help and to not abandon any original goals this license has been administered to do. in plain English if you are not involved in this process then you can really not expect to have a voice to question it. there are a list of representatives in this website (if not in this thread to voice your concerns and will be upcoming meetings on the issue. instead of us complaining we should be engaging. can i get an AMEN

Clinton, Hillary - (D - NY) Class I

476 RUSSELL SENATE OFFICE BUILDING

WASHINGTON DC 20510

Phone: (202) 224-4451

Web Form:clinton.senate.gov/contact

Schumer, Charles - (D - NY) Class III

313 HART SENATE OFFICE BUILDING

WASHINGTON DC 20510

Phone: (202) 224-6542

Web Form: schumer.senate.gov/SchumerWebsite/contact/webform.cfm

BOOOO!!! ZIM!! BOOOO!!

Old 08-04-2008, 12:46 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

NEW YORK

James Gilmore, Chief
Bureau of Marine Resources
205 Belle Meade Road
E. Setauket, NY 11733
Phone: 631-444-0431
Fax: 631-444-0434
Also ASMFC Commissioner
Congressman Gary Ackerman (D)

2243 Rayburn House Office Building

House of Representatives

Washington, DC 20515

Phone: (202) 225-2601

Fax: (202) 225-1589

Congressman Michael Arcuri (D)

327 Cannon House Office Building

Washington, DC 20515-3223

Phone: (202) 225-3665

Fax: (202) 225-1891

Congressman Tim Bishop (D)

1133 Longworth House Office Building,

Washington, DC 20515

Phone: (202) 225-3826

Congresswoman Yvette Clarke (D)

1029 Longworth House Office Building

Washington, D.C. 20515

Phone: (202) 225-6231

Fax: (202) 226-0112

Congressman Joseph Crowley (D)

312 Cannon House Office Building

Washington, DC 20515

Phone: (202) 225-3965

Congressman Eliot Engel (D)

2264 Rayburn House Office Building

Washington, DC 20515

Phone: (202) 225-2464

Congresswoman Kirsten Gillibrand (D)

120 Cannon House Office Building

Washington, D.C. 20515

Phone: 202-225-5614

Fax: 202-225-6234

Congressman John Hall (D)

1217 Longworth House Office Building

Washington D.C. 20515-3219

Phone: (202) 225-5441

Fax: (202) 225-3289

Congressman Brian Higgins (D)

431 Cannon House Office Building

Washington, DC 20515

Phone: (202) 225-3306

Fax: (202) 226-0347

Congressman Maurice Hinchey (D)

2431 Rayburn Office Building~

Washington, DC 20515

Phone: (202) 225-6335

Fax: (202) 226-0774

Congressman Steve Israel (D)

429 Cannon House Office Building

Washington, DC 20515

Phone: (202) 225-3335

Fax: (202) 225-4669

Congressman Pete King (R)

436 Cannon House Office Building

Washington, D.C. 20515

Phone: (202) 225 - 7896

Congressman John R. (Randy) Kuhl (R)

1505 Longworth House Office Building

Washington, DC 20515

Phone: (202) 225-3161

Fax: (202) 225-5574

Congresswoman Nita M. Lowey (D)

2329 Rayburn House Office Building

Washington, DC 20515

Phone: (202) 225-6506

Fax: (202) 225-0546

Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy (D)

106 Cannon House Office Building

Washington, DC 20515

Phone: (202) 225 5516

Congressman John McHugh (R)

2333 Rayburn House Office Building

Washington, DC 20515-3223

Phone: (202) 225-4611

Fax: (202) 226-0621

Congressman Michael McNulty (D)

2210 Rayburn House Office Building

Washington, DC~ 20515-3221

Phone: (202) 225-5076

Fax: (202) 225-5077

Congresswoman Carolyn B. Maloney (D)

2331 Rayburn House Office Building

Washington, DC 20515

Phone: (202) 225-7944

Fax: (202) 225-4709

Congressman Gregory W. Meeks (D)

1710 Longworth House Office Building

Washington, D.C. 20515

Phone: (202) 225-3461

Fax: (202) 226-4169

Congressman Jerrold Nadler (D)

2334 Rayburn House Office Building

Washington, DC 20515

Phone: (202) 225-5635

Congressman Charles B. Rangel (D)

2354 Rayburn House Office Building

Washington, DC 20515

Phone: (202) 225-4365

Congressman Thomas M. Reynolds (R)

332 Cannon House Office Building

Washington, DC 20515

Phone: (202) 225-5265

Congressman Jose Serrano (D)

2342 Rayburn House Office Building

Washington, D.C. 20515-3216

Phone: (202) 225-4361

Congresswoman Louise M. Slaughter (D)

2469 Rayburn House Office Building

Washington, D.C. 20515

Phone: (202) 225-3615

Fax: (202) 225-7822

Congressman Edolphus Towns (D)

2232 Rayburn House Office Building

Washington, DC 20515

Phone: (202) 225-5936

Fax: (202) 225-1018

Congresswoman Nydia M. Velázquez (D)

2241 Rayburn House Office Building

Washington, DC 20515-2104

Phone: (202) 225-2361

Fax: (202) 226-0327

Congressman James T. Walsh (R)

2369 Rayburn Building

Washington, D.C. 20515

Phone: (202) 225-3701

Fax: (202) 225-4042

Congressman Anthony D. Weiner (D)

1122 Longworth House Office Building

Washington DC 20515

Phone: (202) 225-6616

Old 08-04-2008, 08:17 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Zimm, Like the way you're thinking in what you're saying.
Unfortunately, I think it'll not work the way you have in mind.
First, "Casual Fisherman", around here most are tourist and local vacationers. After doing the Walmart march, they'll hit the local B&T after the first attempt on going it solo. They'll get info, bait, line, plugs, pretty hats & vest to look the part, and what nots. These folks are a constant flow each week in the summer. Locally, by the time the fall blitz comes around many shops are fairly out of stocks and not reordering until spring. Seen it many times. The local B&T's (not so secretly) live on these casuals.

The locals - they'll buy a few lures, some bait, maybe a pole or reel. But mostly we'll look for a deal without the High cost of tourist pricing on the internet.
Not many B&T's offer rod building supplies, good assortment of fly making materials, plug / tin making molds and such. Once one looks at the internet, considers an order, we'll just naturally include some lower priced tackle to go with the shipping. Fish finders, snaps, swivels, hooks, etc. is almost 1/3 the price this way. Mostly, we make our own,,, and usually swap with each other. (Just like on here with gatherings) Besides, most of the folks I know look for clearance / end of year sales at places like Walmart, Kmart, Target, etc. for the following year's supplies.

As for the fishing permit, gonna be like gun control. Only the honest people will adhere. For the $25 price I feel more "casuals" are going to be inclined to keep stuff they'd through back just to feel they got their monies worth. And the folks that are illegal? I doubt very much they'll change. I fully expect they will increase in numbers. If you illegally fishing without a permit,,, it'll be a very short trip to keeping everything worth eating. A lot more folks will forget how to speak English and sprout #&^*@!^.

I've already seen how Fish & Game laws are selectively enforced. Why would one think this any different? Public right of way is the biggie to me. The State refuses to enforce the laws. Sizes and quantities are selectively enforced. among other things. Obviously, the law does not pertain to everyone.

I for one am dead set against such a thing.
How about a break for the retired folks, many of which fought for this country to be kept free from foreign forces as in WWI & II? They are on fixed incomes. The price of heating fuel is going to kill them this year. Do I see any break mentioned for folks over 65 or so? Not yet. How about handy capped?
I simply see it as another governmental money making scheme with little or no practical intent (except for other than stated). Sure, sounds good,,, but that's as far as it goes.

"For the people, by the people", I don't see a very large percentage of folks standing behind this one,,, anywhere. So, "By the people" is over ruled?

Wonder, will my taxes go up so the Welfare folks can get a raise to pay for the license?
Will my taxes go up to pay for enforcement officers, vehicles, computers, buildings, fuel, and benefits to cover proper enforcement?
Please don't try and tell me that all funding will come from the $25 permit. We all know how well the Gov't handles funding / monies.

Don't you think there is something really wrong with this picture? Really?
Old 08-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

your too easy!

Old 08-04-2008, 10:09 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

I know. Just trying to be nice. After all, it is a public forum.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:03 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

hey grouchy> you can pm me with the curse words? it took a long time to drum that stuff up. kinda lol when i hit the reply button. as it's no joke it is all i can do but to goof about it and come up with new material to provoke thought. your points on the subject are without a doubt valid and as i am laid up and bored i send these emails to elected officials to see what bullsheet response i will get.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:50 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
hey grouchy> you can pm me with the curse words? it took a long time to drum that stuff up. kinda lol when i hit the reply button. as it's no joke it is all i can do but to goof about it and come up with new material to provoke thought. your points on the subject are without a doubt valid and as i am laid up and bored i send these emails to elected officials to see what bullsheet response i will get.
Ha! Not the cuss words,, don't give a shit about that crap, it's saying something that may inadvertantly be taken as picking on certain minorities, colors, size, hair style and/or toenail lengths. I'm "grouchy" with everyone without reguard to political correctness. Spade is a spade even if it looks like a jack 'o hearts.

Hope the replies you get are better than the very, very few I get. Most of mine are very generic. Actually recieved the same reply from the same source 3 different times on 3 different issues. I really don't think anyone actually reads them. Think they just trigger a computerized response with a time delay to try and make it look good(?).

Sorry about the layup. After 2 1/2 yrs. I know what it's like. Just lately I've been feeling up to fishing. Havn't gone yet, but soon. May try crabbing again this afternoon if it'll rain and get the tourist to run for cover. Plenty of showers and such in the forecast. Maybe tonight I can run the Moonstone with flyrod in hand. I'm really itching to get out and still have a few percosets & vicodin in hand for the recovery. (LOL)
Old 08-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

so your saying i should be grouchy now? okay then. damn it! i hate when i take a percocet and later on it makes me feel like i wanna pass a horsehoe crab!

Old 08-06-2008, 12:33 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

been there/ done that!