Bait Shops? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 05-11-2007, 08:20 PM

Default Bait Shops?

Hitting up the newburgh area on sunday and i need to gear up with some bait.. I used to use bloodworms when i went a few years ago and im assuming they still work, so i was wondering where i can stop close to there, ill be coming in from PA on 84.... Never used herring just cause i cant seem to get them,,,, any sugestions on that prob? When you guys refer to chunking do you mean cutting up the herring?? Or what? Also doesnt anyone use eels anymore? That was a big thing a few years ago when i used to go to the hudson...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Member Reel Force

Default Re: Bait Shops?

If you look on the main page of this site, you should be able to find some good advice for new striper fisherman that details the basics. As for Herring, most people fish the smaller to medium size Sabiki rigs which can be jigged in the deeper water. I usually do very well, jigging right on the bottom in 20 feet of water for them, but they have all been really deep and right off the bottom. Chunking does mean cutting the herring up...some people just cut them in half, others in quarters. The chunked bait should be replaced fairly often, as it will quickly lose the blood and scent in the swift river waters. Hope this helps!
Old 05-16-2007, 03:25 AM

Default Re: Bait Shops?

Flybye. i usually take 84 then head upriver to 19 on the thruway. Im not sure what shops are near newburgh i usually fish furthur north. there is certified on the east side up in port ewen and on the other side there is a shop in red Bank. Both have herring but I dont know if the red bank shop has herring certified for use as bait as per new regs. Certified you can purchase them by boat and use them right there in the river. NO transport by car and that includes eels.
There is a bait guy in Norrie mills state park at the Marina who arrives at 4 30 AM. He was there last year with herring. Outside of those options. You will have to fish your own with a sabiki as gudice suggested or net them via use of a scap net. another option is packaged cut shad or herring. preserved by a method other than just freezing is acceptable.
I plan to use crippled herring lures, storm shads, bloodworms and clams both of which wont be regulated because they arent considered bait fish. and chunking is another term used for cut bait.

Good luck. How far up on 84 are you? I take the Lords Valley, Dingmans Ferry exit home.