to all the boaters out there... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boaters Forum This forum is for boaters both fresh and saltwater. Trolling / Tips / Tactics / Maintenance

Old 05-01-2007, 02:07 PM
First Mate

Default to all the boaters out there...

What is the best advise you can give someone new to boating? When you got your first boat, what was the most important thing that you learned?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Re: to all the boaters out there...

Put the plug in...

Seriously though... Be prepared for anything and always think ahead. Never assume that anyone else is going to do what they should do. Defensive Driving 101.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:41 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech43 View Post
What is the best advise you can give someone new to boating? When you got your first boat, what was the most important thing that you learned?

to keep it afloat... not to run into anything.

seriously...

The best advise I can give a new boater is to take a USCG boating coarse,it's the safest way to learn the rules of the road.

Spend time learning you boat, how it handles under a variaty of conditions,learn how to navigate by compass... your elctronics can let you down.. the compass wont.. if you know how to use it.

Spend time learning how much fuel you use for certain trips, always follow the 1/3 rule.... use 1/3 of your fuel for your outing, 1/3 for the ride home and 1/3 for reserve.... if you should run into rough weather, and have to "hog wallow" back to port, you'll be glad fpor the fuel reserve...

there are hundreds of things I could go on posting, but above all use common sense... the life you save could be your own.
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2007, 09:29 AM
(formerly brian21johansen)

Like Roccus said- I'm in my last week of a USCG aux. boating class and it is awesome. I took another course before with the enviromental police but the coast guard one is so much better. I've been boating for a long time but I've learned so much stuff in these classes that probably will save my life one day. In MA there are tons of morons on the water that don't know what the hell they're doing(I'm not sure of the NY regs but down here you don't need a liscene or to pass a test or anything). So my best advise is just to not be that moron....I'm sure you know what your doing when it comes to rules of the roads but it never hurts to review (go to www.boatsafe.com) there are some awesome links at the top of the page.

I'm no expert at boating compared to some of the people out there, but I've been around it long enought to know that no matter how good of a mariner you are there will always be an idiot out there who will test you. Also remember that boats don't have breaks! (seriously)
Old 05-06-2007, 12:12 PM
Official Member

Wink Re: to all the boaters out there...

After the Coast Guard course, (which I feel every body should take at least once in a life time!) First and most important, every time you go out, know your weather for the entire day. Get charts of the area you intend to fish. Read them and understand them.
Next; This only applies to coastal shallow water situations. I personally check my areas at three times. Dead low, on a large run off. I like 11 footer run off, if I can get it. Half tide and full. I like my sun directly overhead for shallow water structure inspection at low tide. As close to slack tide as you can get it if you think currents may put you in danger. Some one the front of the boat preferably, AND GO SLOW! Make sure you have all the safety equipment that you are required to carry. I feel this is the most important information I could give you. Show every one who comes on your boat, where all the safety equipment is on your boat, including the radio and fire extinguishers. Show them how to start and run your boat in the event something happens to you!.
If the water looks dangerous or makes you feel uncomfortable, don’t fish it! I know some great well experienced fishermen, that have come close to loosing there lives. You have not lived until you have until you have got caught in what I call terror water. I promise you this, you will be white knuckled like never before, and it will make you question what the hell you were thinking! I hope this has been of some help to some folks!
Remember, its your life, keep it!
Later, L
Old 03-03-2008, 10:11 PM

Make sure you got a head count before you take off.

Dont overshoot your anchor in 50 degree water and wrap it around your prop.

Dont drink and boat!

I wont mention any names.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:06 PM
First Mate

thanks for the tip Jim. believe it or not I rarely drink when I'm out there. I can't drink and have the sun poundin down on me.
dare I ask who had to jump in the water and untangle their anchor line?
Old 03-04-2008, 01:14 AM

My buddy Alex.
Theres a picture of him in the drink here somewhere.
He had to dive under in his skivies and cut it off of the prop in 53 degree water with a Mai Tai Buzz on.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:17 AM
Schoolie

If you are trailering, practice moving the trailer, backing down, etc.. BEFORE you get to the launch ramp.

If you are putting the boat in a slip, take a couple of hours and practice docking in different conditions, coming in from different angles, bow in, stern in, etc. Again, its not the time to learn when the wind has come up while you were out fishing and are suddenly putting your boat and more importantly the others around you at risk.

-- Tom
Old 03-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Bowanna

Check the forecasts often, things can change at the last minute! Take a USCG boating course. BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS! Always get the BIG picture. When in doubt, get out.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech43 View Post
Start small.

Look out for folks with Bayliners!!!!!!
Old 03-18-2008, 09:00 AM

Docking. Practice, practice, practice. And stay off of Barnegat Bay, NJ on weekends.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:05 AM
First Mate

whats the matter? you worried I'm going to steal your fish or crash into you, or both?
Old 03-18-2008, 09:26 AM
First Mate

Everything that everyone has said here..........for me, boils down to education and respect. Learn all your equipment and how it fits in your boating environment. Then have a healthy respect for that environment. When it's a pleasant "host" , you'll have a great day. Don't begin to believe that you're the one who can change it when it's in a bad mood.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:59 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wiz View Post
Everything that everyone has said here..........for me, boils down to education and respect. Learn all your equipment and how it fits in your boating environment. Then have a healthy respect for that environment. When it's a pleasant "host" , you'll have a great day. Don't begin to believe that you're the one who can change it when it's in a bad mood.
You are absolutely right. The weather can turn on you in short notice, so when the storm clouds start rolling in, play it safe. I was on the river a couple years ago and waited a little to long before heading back to the ramp. I just got back into Newburyport when the skys opened up, and "hail" was coming down in buckets and the wind was howling. I never saw it get that bad that quick. I got back to the ramp, and it was a mess. Waves..in the river... had a guys boat swamped at the ramp and then his winch rope broke trying to lug a boat load of water onto a trailer. Not a pretty site, and one I'll always remember. Mother nature can be a bitch when she wants to be.