Ice out wipers ?? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > The Wiper Room
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Wiper Room A forum for all you Hybrid and White bass fishermen out there . Wiper aka Hybrid striper / Cherokee Bass / Sunshine bass / Wiper.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:45 AM

Default Ice out wipers ??

Last year was my first year fishing wipers and I didn't start till the heat of the summer so I'm looking forward to full year of WIPER MADNESS !!

Our lake is covered in ice right now but is one of the first to open , being a river fed reservoir. I'm thinking "some vertical slab spoons at the base of the dam would be a good place to start after ice out"
Any thoughts on this ????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2007, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Ice out wipers ??

Start there, but if you don't mark any fish, try up the northern most creeks and coves, see if any shad are schooling in any warmer water at all. Also try the first riffles of the headwaters, the shad, and wipers will school there this spring.
Find the shad, find the wipers.
LMJ
Old 02-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Wiper Guru

In Indiana in the early spring they are catchable all over the lake. My best luck has been about midway between the dam and the feeder water. I concentrate on cove openings, expecially those where there is shallow water adjascent to deeper water. It appears to have no structure, but the hybs like to chase baitfish onto the shallows and slaughter them.

I know it is also fairly easy (as easy as any part of wiper fishing) to take them in the spring near the dam. Last year on Cherokee Lake TN near the end of March we caught them in 50 feet of water, near a big turn in the lake and toward the headwaters.

I'm thinking if you know what bait to use at that time of the year, you're likely to catch them most anywhere in the lake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Wiper Guru

My last reply made me think of one other trend I noticed last year. In the spring they will bite on gold and chrome colored lures like Kastmasters and other casting spoons. Toward summer they like chartreuse colors, and I found that in the fall glow lures work well. It seemed pretty consistent. Fish the bright stuff in the early spring, then one day they just stop biting. It takes about two trips to the lake before you realize what's happened. Switch to bright colored rather than reflective lures and the bite is on again. Then later in the season they lose interest in that, too.

Anyone else notice that?