Lake Cumberland Kentucky - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Kentucky
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 05-29-2004, 12:46 PM
Reports and Info Dude
Got a Little Captain in you?

Default Lake Cumberland Kentucky

LAKE CUMBERLAND KENTUCKY

The water temperature is 77 degrees. The lake is clear, rising with drift and debris, and 1.23 feet below summer pool. Striped bass are hitting large live bait on planer boards on the main lake in 20 to 30 feet of water
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2004, 11:53 PM
Reports and Info Dude

Default Lake Cumberland

LAKE CUMBERLAND ? Walleye fair at night by trolling chrome or silver crankbaits off points. Striped bass fair; best using shad at 25-35 over deep areas. Catfish good on trot and limb lines. Bluegill good. Phone (606) 678-8697 for recorded information.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:50 PM
Reports and Info Dude

Default Lake Cumberland Kentuvky

Lake Cumberland: The water temperature is 79 degrees, and the lake is clear, falling and about 2.16 feet below summer pool. Striped bass are hitting live bait on planner boards on the main lake in 25 to 35 feet of water
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2004, 02:32 AM
Reports and Info Dude

Default Lake Cumberland

LAKE CUMBERLAND ? Largemouth good at night using jigs off main lake points. Walleye fair at night by trolling chrome or silver crankbaits off points. Striped bass fair; best using shad at 30-40 feet over deep areas. Phone (606) 678-8697 for recorded information
Old 07-23-2004, 02:30 AM
Reports and Info Dude

Default Lake Cumberland

LAKE CUMBERLAND ? Largemouth good at night along main lake points. Walleye fair at night by trolling chrome or silver crankbaits off points. Striped bass good; best using shad with planer boards at 30-40 feet over deep water. Generation schedule as of yesterday was 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. Phone (606) 678-8697 for recorded information
Old 08-15-2004, 11:04 PM
Reports and Info Dude

Default LAKE CUMBERLAND KENTUCKY

Late summer finds most stripers at depths of about 25 to 40 feet in the morning and late afternoon. From mid-September on, however, as the water starts to cool down, stripers are taken by trolling and live baiting during early morning and late afternoon at medium depths of 20 to 30 feet. Live baiting with shad has already produced a 58-pound, 4-ounce striper out of Lake CImberland.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:30 AM
Reports and Info Dude

Default LAKE CUMBERLAND

LAKE CUMBERLAND ? Stripers remain good at 50-70 feet near main channel. Walleye good off main lake flats by trolling chrome or white crankbaits or bottom-bouncing nightcrawler harnesses. Generation schedule as of yesterday was 7-8 a.m. and 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Phone (606) 678-8697 for recorded information.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:26 PM

Default any ideas??

I'll be heading to Lake Cumberland the 3rd weekend in October. I've been fishing for years, but never tried fishing for stripers. Also never been to Lake Cumberland. We'll just be camping somewhere I'm sure. Any ideas on where to start at and what bait to use will be much appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-02-2004, 02:18 PM

Default jkc523

jkc523
The Ternnessee Valley Authority is a good place to get information on Lake cumberland as is the local tackle shops and Marinas.

The generation schedule is important because the dam alternately releases water at certain time periods. This is optimal time for striper activity because of the rush of fast moving water. It is much cooler than the likely 70 plus degree surface temperatures. They hold much deeper in warm temperatures. It is like underground. Underground has a constant 59 degree temperature. Water refers to this as the thermocline. Now when fishing any large impoundment with a dam stripers will likely be congregated near the dam, waiting for either a fast moving cold water release in the summer time. And in the winter time it can be a warmer water discharge. 8)
I hope this makes some sense to you. Look for any type of feeder creeks that are flowing into the lake as well.
Please consider registering that way you can be notified of any replies to your posts. Welcome to the board. Good luck at Cumberland.
Here is the latest Tennessse valley Aurhority report on Cumberland.
LAKE CUMBERLAND ? Crappie good in the creeks. Stripers good by downrigging at 50-70 feet near main channel. Generation schedule as of yesterday was for entire 24-hour period. Phone (606) 678-8697 for recorded information
Remember though as the water starts to cool down stripers can be had in 20 to 30 feet of water. No need for a downrigger. Shad is the bait of choice. Artificials you may want to experiment with bucktails and ask the tackle shop guys about shad raps and other swim baits. Live baiting with shad has already produced a 58-pound, 4-ounce striper in Cumberland. :)
Old 10-07-2004, 01:54 PM

Default Cumberland

The 3rd week in Oct the stripers will most likely be below 40 feet deep, and may be as deep as 80 feet. Downrigging is usually best at this time of year. You might find a few surface schools early in the day. This year has been a little weird with tempuratures. There have been reports of stripers shallower than usual. In that case, you could get them with live bait and planer boards.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:55 PM

Default PS

The state record 58# striper was caught on a Red Fin in December (1985), not a shad.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:05 PM

Default Thanks Jigman

Thanks Jigman I stand corrected.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:57 PM

Default thanks

Thanks for all of the info. I'll be sure to post a response when i get back.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:47 PM

No problem Stripers. BTW, I'll get that link up this weekend.

jkc, a few more things for you now that I have the time. This time of year the stripers concentrate in the upper third of the lake. Basically, Wolf Creek to the Dam. We often see a few very large schools, and a few smaller scattered schools. Many people do not put out lines until they hit a large school. I put a couple rods out on the downriggers and cover water looking for them. Alewifes are the main forage that they target on the lake. There are lesser numbers of Gizzard Shad and Threadfins. You will likely have problems netting Alewifes this time of year. Even if you do, they won't last long. Most people using live bait will opt for large shiners or suckers. There are a number of bait shops around the lake that sell them if you want them. Let me know where you are launching/staying on the lake and I can give you a few shops to check out.

As I noted above, we sometimes get some topwater action early in the day. This is often sporatic, but it helps to have a rod or two rigged and ready to go. A spook or similar topwater bait and a jig/trailer are good options here.

Fishing hot spots does have a couple maps for Cumberland. You'll want the Dam to Wolf Creek (west) one. Concentrate on the main lake and follow the main river channel. Most of the time you'll be over 120-160 feet of water.

Jigman
Old 10-08-2004, 06:17 PM

My understanding is that I'll be putting in close to the dam. We rented a cabin through wolf creek outfitters and they say we're less than a couple of minutes from the boat ramp. I picked up a few buck tail jigs to give a try, plus some other baits incase they happen to come up. I've never down rigged before and don't have the device for it so if we don't have any luck the first day we may give regular bass fishing a try the next day. Thanks again for the advice and any help is always appreciated. I've been doing some research on stripers on the net and would love to hook one. Like I said, this is the first time I've gave it a try. You think 20 lb test line will be okay with a medium rod?

jkc523