Hybrids in Manasquan Reservoir - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > The Wiper Room
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Wiper Room A forum for all you Hybrid and White bass fishermen out there . Wiper aka Hybrid striper / Cherokee Bass / Sunshine bass / Wiper.

Old 10-09-2004, 11:09 PM
Reports and Info Dude
Got a Little Captain in you?

Default Hybrids in Manasquan Reservoir

Manasquan Reservoir.

A team from the state Division of Fish and Wildlife Fisheries biologists recently set out to find out what types of fish are in the 720-acre reservoir in Monmouth County's Howell Township,
Armed with electrofishing equipment that introduce electrical current to fish-filled waters, the wattage stuns fish, allowing them to be easily netted, but doesn't harm them.

The 4-billion gallon reservoir, opened 14 years ago, was built by the New Jersey Water Supply Authority.

The Division made sure the builders left plenty of trees intact along the edges of the lake. This "standing timber" is crucial to many forms of wildlife and is particularly good shelter for black crappie.

Even when trees were cut, the reservoir builders cabled them to the ground and left the stumps they are important sources of shelter for all types of fish according to the division.

The state also called for the spreading of small-sized gravel along the reservoir's northern shore. The biologists hoped this would be used for spawning by bass and sunfish.
The state stocked the new reservoir with largemouth and smallmouth bass and tiger muskellunge. They also gave food -- in the form of pre-spawn adult alewife -- for the lake's hybrid striped bass.

The Manasquan Reservoir responded well to Fish and Wildlife's work. Anglers regularly report great days of fishing for bass, crappie, sunfish, trout (in the spring), pickerel, catfish and some huge muskies.

But the electrofishing proved the fishermen weren't making up their reports. "The first night of electrofishing for the Manasquan's inventory report revealed a variety of species," says a Division statement. A 20.5-inch largemouth and a 24.3-inch hybrid striped bass were among the fish netted by the scientists.

More impressive than the reservoir's fish size is its fish variety. The temporarily stunned specimens included all three types of bass, sunfish, black crappie, chain pickerel, white perch, yellow perch, alewife herring and gizzard shad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2004, 11:28 PM
LunkHead

Default The Rez

Hey Foghorn,
I live a short bike ride away from the Manasquan Reservoir, "The Rez", and the report you posted is true, great fishing to be had either from shore or by boat. Nice 5 mile perimeter trail around the outside, and lots of access trails down to the water, but the favorite spots seem to be off the rocks, where you can find them. My daughter and I have caught largemouth, smallmouth, sunnies, crappy,perch, pickerel,and small trout there, and I've seen but never caught, monster hybrid stripers and Muskie. :shock:
Great place whether I'm bike riding, fishing, watching the joggers :twisted: go by, whatever....I used to spend a lot of time there, till I discovered surffishing, so now instead of fishing 5 mins from home with bait from the backyard, I have to travel 20 mins and buy bait.
So far it's really been worth it. :D