shore fishing? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > California - Lakes, Rivers, Bay and Delta
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 09-24-2004, 07:37 PM

Default shore fishing?

hello, my first post!
I'm 23 years old and I've been fishing for stripers since I was a child.

I was just wondering. In this forum foghornleghorn is giving alot of great info on stripers being caught around the sf bay area, but I was wondering. Since I have never gone fishing on a boat (and I might be wrong, but I assume all the fishing reports you give are for boat anglers?).
I am wondering if these locations you are describing (eg- san pablo bay, sister island, angel island, etc.) are good for shore fisherman as well?

I have been fishing various spots in alameda county and lately places in san pablo bay. Mostly surfcast fishing.

also what exactly does it mean when you say 4-0, 10-0 fishing? sorry I didnt read through all the instructional threads.

I'm planning on going out to the san pablo bay area today with a friend, hope they're hitting ghost or grass shrimp.
can't afford live bait!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2004, 10:36 PM

Default welcome

welcome to the boards! I don't really know what the striped basseys feed on out there on the left coast. Up here in NH the fresh (but dead) herring have been working great this year. There is a place thats will sell you a 5 gal pail full for 10 bucks, mostly for use as lobster bait but the stripers love it too!!
Old 09-25-2004, 12:00 AM
Reports and Info Dude
Got a Little Captain in you?

Default Welcome to the baord Nor Cal

Welcome to the baord Nor Cal.
4-0 10-0 refers to the fish weight in pounds. Most of these reports are generated by the local tackle shops and or the California division of fish and game. Reports by themselves arent always useful, but they do tell you that the species is running and is in the area. Stripers like to feed on the shore line flats in the early morning and early evening especially on the changing tides. Specific reports such as antioch refer to the antioch pier. Others will clarify by saying shoreline anglers etc etc. My advice is to get out there and make your own reports. Live bait can be netted and trapped with a minnow pot also. Try to immitate the bait of choice at the location. Regular good ole blood worms will work as well. The local tackle shop can help you with an immitation bait to "match the hatch" if you ask them. Most shops are helpful if you ask them.

Good luck and post your report back here,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2004, 04:04 PM

thanks for all the info guys.

well.
the result of my trip from Pinole pier is.
We didn't catch anything all day.
When we first arrived, an older black lady had caught a nice 30 incher and another smaller one.

we were using grass shrimp, we had one hit but I lost it because I was planning on using that pole for bait fishing. Something big hit it and snapped my 8lb test line. It got away before we could see it. It couldn't have been a shark, I don't think. Maybe a ray?

an another guy down the pier had something hooked on using anchovies, he claimed it was something big, bit he also lost it, he was using 40 lb test.

The stripers are definitely in the pinole point area of san pablo bay.
in the past 3 weeks, I've seen people catching them from the surf.
Using mostly bullheads, ghost shrimp, and grass shrimp.

another guy caught a 40 inch striper off a frozen anchovie last week. He was fishing the shoreline.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:50 PM

Well, for starters you need atleast 15 lb test, in my opinion. I had 17lb test and fish broke it in a snap. Thats why I have 30 pound test now.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:58 AM

I like 25# test, works good for me, but at a minimum I'd be using 20# test
Old 09-28-2004, 03:53 AM

definitely.
I've been using 25-30 lbs test.

you guys use bullheads as bait on the east coast?

I've been reading about the jersey area, and some guys said he caught stripers off of Clam?
weird.

didn't know they hit on clams.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:38 AM

Default Norcal

Read this post from the world record holder about clams for bait.

https://stripers247.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=980

Clams are big on the east coast. Especially early spring and early fall.

Some guys use nothing else. I use mostly menhaden. Go figure. whatever works for ya.

Im not stupid though if I hear they are hitting on clams i will get a bucket full of surf clams and shuck em at the shoreline.

Do you mean bullhead catfish? or bullhead suckers. All soft bodied fish seem to work for stripies. And the fish that are hard and spiny yoiu can cut the fins off of and use for bait at times.
Match the hatch. Whatever bait is in the water body is the bait that the stripers are likely to feed on. Figuring that out and youll multiply your hook ups.

Your coast I hear its anchovies and sardines as the baits of choice.

PS its helpful if you log in then you can be notified of replies and accrue points for a t shirt. :P
Old 09-28-2004, 08:35 PM

whoops, sorry bout that. Forget my password.

I meant the bullhead suckers.
You probably know about them already. But that's the most popular type of bait in this area, mostly around the shore.

charters use live anchovies and sardines.

I can't afford live bullheads, and most local bait shops don't have live anchovies or sardines.

So I usually use frozen anchovies or bullheads.

they've been hitting Ghost and grass shrimp too.

I'm about to leave for San Pablo bay to check out the Salmon running through!
Old 09-30-2004, 03:29 AM
Reports and Info Dude
Got a Little Captain in you?

Default Nor Cal

Don't overlook plain ole night crawlers as bait.

Dept Fish Game information: (760) 389-2299 or 389-2303. You can get lake striper stocking info from them along with other stuff.