Shore Fishing Etiquette - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Boating Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boating Beginners Beginner Boating Questions and Answers

Old 05-27-2009, 01:09 AM
Striper Hunter - Call_me_Ishmael

Default Shore Fishing Etiquette

I've searched the forums and I've yet to find any definitive list of etiquette for the beach. The thread about what new surfcasters shouldn't do is informative, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to have a thread dedicated to etiquette. I know most of it is just common courtesy but I would like to hear some opinions. Cheers - Mike
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Official Member

Default Re: Shore Fishing Etiquette

dont leave trash is always #1 for me. I F&&King hate picking up a DD' cup and line and stuff all around me. How hard is it to pick up your own garbage
Old 05-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Veteran Elite

If you see someone fishing or that has hooked up. dont fish right next to them. go find another spot. Pick up trash, and dont shine lights on the water at night.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:54 AM

Remember this and you'll never do wrong:

Never do anything that forces another person to change the way they were fishing.

Example, someone is plugging a jetty. Of course they're going to be allowing their plug to sweep along into any rip lines or to possible ambush points.
Do not start casting in such a way that it forces them to have to cut the drift short.

Another one - and this one can get you killed:
NEVER step into a lineup of guys plugging and attempt to throw bait (and vica versa).

Actions like these will force the people who were there first to change the way they were fishing and get everyone upset.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:30 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
Remember this and you'll never do wrong:

Never do anything that forces another person to change the way they were fishing.

Example, someone is plugging a jetty. Of course they're going to be allowing their plug to sweep along into any rip lines or to possible ambush points.
Do not start casting in such a way that it forces them to have to cut the drift short.

Another one - and this one can get you killed:
NEVER step into a lineup of guys plugging and attempt to throw bait (and vica versa).

Actions like these will force the people who were there first to change the way they were fishing and get everyone upset.

this is excellent advice.. and not only applies from shore, but from a boat as well... if there are a dozen guys trolling or drifting.. dont be the moron that drops anchor right in the middle of the run, it also works in reverse..... the life you save could be your own...And also for you boat fisherman( Kayak boys this also applies to you as well)... give the guys from shore a break.... you have mobility... they do not.... moving in on a picket fence of anglers is a sure way to rain sinkers,tin clads and plugs on deck... maybe even on head!
a little respect for your fellow anglers goes a long way.. it's a big ocean out there.. lots of room for everyone...
Old 05-27-2009, 04:24 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Picking up trash is a big deal to me, many a public access would be or could be shut down if the place winds up looking like a trash heap.

My number two if it is in question as to whether or not you will be in someones way just ask them if it is Ok if you fish near them 9 out of ten times it will be fine and they will appreciate you asking.

Roccus"And also for you boat fisherman( Kayak boys this also applies to you as well)... give the guys from shore a break.... you have mobility... they do not.... moving in on a picket fence of anglers is a sure way to rain sinkers,tin clads and plugs on deck... maybe even on head!
a little respect for your fellow anglers goes a long way.. it's a big ocean out there.. lots of room for everyone... "

For boat men if you see a blitz close to shore and you want to fish it set yourself up to drift into casting range don't motor in on top of it and not only ruin it for yourself but the beach guys as well.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:47 PM

One thing I'd mention is to not criticize somebody's choice of lure when they're fishing. It's annoying to be told that you won't catch anything with this or that. It's one thing if it's meant in a helpful way but it's another when someone has a lure superiority complex...I also want to mention my #1 fishing etiquette issue, it's a boat thing but PLEASE if you see a blitz going don't gun the engines and then drift into the blitz and ruin it for everyone else...also in the off chance a jet skier is reading this post if you see a bunch of birds and boats PLEASE don't zoom in and see what's happening...
Old 06-01-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCountryGM View Post
One thing I'd mention is to not criticize somebody's choice of lure when they're fishing. It's annoying to be told that you won't catch anything with this or that.
Plus it's almost a 100% guarantee that in the next fifteen minutes the guy will catch a bigger fish then you've caught in the past month
Old 06-01-2009, 12:38 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

wtf is fishing ettiquette??
i have to weave my way through all of the above mentioned and then some.
if i fish and don't get CROSSED/MUGGED/SNAGGED/ROBBED/BEGGED FROM/ENCROACHED/ANNOYED/AGGRAVATED/LAZER LIGHT SHOW EXIBITED/BOOM BOXED EARDRUMS/EVERLOVING LOUDMOUTH OF THE NIGHT 10 YARDS AWAY/KAYAKS IN THE SURF SCREAMING FISHON!/CHINESE LESSONS/RUSSIAN LESSONS/MEXICAN LESSONS/BONDFIRES ON THE BEACH IN A SW WIND/AND THE CLASSIC- "HIGH THERE HANDSOME././ THAT'S A REALLY BIG ROD YA GOT THERE////// OMFGFGF!!!! WHAT THE F#*@ IS ETTIQUETTE??????

Old 06-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
wtf is fishing ettiquette??
i have to weave my way through all of the above mentioned and then some.
if i fish and don't get CROSSED/MUGGED/SNAGGED/ROBBED/BEGGED FROM/ENCROACHED/ANNOYED/AGGRAVATED/LAZER LIGHT SHOW EXIBITED/BOOM BOXED EARDRUMS/EVERLOVING LOUDMOUTH OF THE NIGHT 10 YARDS AWAY/KAYAKS IN THE SURF SCREAMING FISHON!/CHINESE LESSONS/RUSSIAN LESSONS/MEXICAN LESSONS/BONDFIRES ON THE BEACH IN A SW WIND/AND THE CLASSIC- "HIGH THERE HANDSOME././ THAT'S A REALLY BIG ROD YA GOT THERE////// OMFGFGF!!!! WHAT THE F#*@ IS ETTIQUETTE??????
I'f with you on Fishing ettiguette. I was trout fishing a favorite little stream this weekend, cound not get out to go striper fishing. I was casting upstream and drifting back down through a nice little spot were I have caught some sizable rainbows and brownies. Here come 2 yahoo's with live bait and set up 5 ft on either side of me. I tell them I am fly fishing and they risk getting hooked by being so close. They did not care, kept fishing, talking back and forth to each other, mind you one on my left and one on my right.!!!!! I packed it in a left, all I wanted was a little relaxing time to my self to fish.

One of my biggest complaints is when I am wading and someone in a boat come screaming through at full throttle no more than 20 yds from me and gives me the nice little "wave of the hand". They get a wave back from me but it is ussually a single finger salute!! Many a time I have been in chest deep water and had to bounce off the bottom to keep above the wake.

Or when Surf Casting all alone on the beach with no life guards and someone starts swimming right next too you. I actually hooked a guy in the shorts one time because of this, his excuse, I did not see you fishing. I had a 12 ft pole in the water with bait, the he hooked and a 9ft in my hand casting lures how could you not see me. He was no more than 30 to 40 ft to my left and the tide was running right to left.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:16 AM
First Mate

Upcoming license might take care of some of that. I'd love to get the googan on the pier with the million candlepower flashlight. He swept the entire beach with that thing and lit my son Jim and I up like birthday candles. We were 200 yds downbeach. Just about then I was thinkin' rifle and scope.
Etiquette is simple, someone wrote about a gazillion years ago. " Do unto others............
Old 06-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Striper Envy

You beat me to it Joe.
Don't do to others as you would not like done to you. Pretty much sums it up in all cases.

If everyone knew this and tried to live by it, many things would be so much more enjoyable.

For specifics...heres my list.

1. Enter the Shore/beach with more than one spot in mind. If someone's in your favorite spot, move on.
2. Stay at least 150ft from the next guy (300 ft is more like it)
3. Your there to fish so do it! You can party at your house.
4. Pack out what you packed in. This way no one needs to pick up after you.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:27 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

joe? that was you on the beach?
nah, just kiddin.
i think i know who that yahoo was.
he's looking for that 10 point buck in the woods over behind the bluff.
it has been in there for a couple of seasons and i think he really wants to shoot the bastage.. anyway. lights go in the drink when i am around..

Old 07-09-2009, 06:00 PM

Googans in general are the scourge of surfcasters, especially the ones that mug you. When an angler turns to re tie a frayed leader after landing a fish do NOT take his spot. if you have uncontrolable kids or pets leave them home. Fishing is therapy for most of us, our quiet time. We don't want to hear screaming kids or watch your unleashed dogs go tearing through our set up. don't start free linin' livies in the middle of plug throwers either. finally, keep your distance, plenty of surf for all of us.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:09 AM

Bout 40 years ago, I was bouncing worms at the parking area below the railroad bridge. Heard splashing in the cove behind us. Took a light rod with a bucktailed Fiord spoon an proceded to cast. First fish hit the shore and there were six fisherman () three either side of me. I caught 5 more schoolies before they moved on. No one else caught a thing. Talk about a S... eating grin on my face the rest of the evening.

Bay